The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1 Chat Box

Godfrey

Experiment like that is good, Godfrey.
In your experiment, you should forget the swivel nature of the G1's TFT!
I don't use the swivel much anyway, unless I'm working on a tripod. I often feel it gets in the way compared to the fixed LCD on the L1. The EVF will simulate the OVF since it gets in the way too much when I try to use an OVF on the G1 ... the slim body of the GF1/E-P1/X1 helps a lot in this regard.

With the AF lens, AF will be set to center point and AE/AF Lock button. With the manual focus lens, the LCD will be used for focusing. Should be a fun experiment. ;-)

V

Vivek

That must have been a special model. :rolleyes:

I hope that is the one that will be on the market and not the one with 4-5 second write speed.:)

We will know when they become available and real user experiences are discussed.:)

dhsimmonds

I want the X2 with a 35mm cron (for 52mm equivalent).
OK then, I'll go for the XD2....update to the classic D2.....Vario summicron 24-90mm AF with the Sony 12Mpx sensor. Sony also supply Nikon with sensors too!

D2 uses have been clamouring for such an update for years!

L

ljclark

OK then, I'll go for the XD2....update to the classic D2.....Vario summicron 24-90mm AF with the Sony 12Mpx sensor. Sony also supply Nikon with sensors too!

D2 uses have been clamouring for such an update for years!
They might be a bit disappointed when they see the results of a lens designed for a 8.8mm x 6.6mm sensor trying to work on a 23.6mm x 15.8mm sensor.

Just to put a bit of scale to things, Nikon's 17-55 f/2.8 (which, of course, is too slow for some folks here) weighs in at around 750 grams (no caps, no filter). Reworked for a non-DLSR mounting, perhaps Leica could get an f/2.8 version down to around 500 grams. But if you want f/2...:rolleyes:

smokysun

the x1 looks like fun. i would like to defend the dp1. get to really know it and the foveon sensor (sigma owns the technology) will give special results. as for 400 iso, i realized i've been shooting at -1 ev, so that doubles everything. plus doesn't it mean you're shooting at 2.8.? and 400 with -1 works. the leica digilux 2 had the same problem: techies hated it, photographers loved it.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. yes, the leica name sells. sigma makes many people turn up their noses, even though i like the warmth of their lenses.

Godfrey

sigma makes many people turn up their noses, even though i like the warmth of their lenses.
Sigma makes many good lens designs. Why I won't look at them is that they can't seem to build them consistently or reliably .. too much variability in the performance and quality.

I was very interested in the DP1/DP2 cameras but their performance, having played with them a little now, would just drive me nuts. And I don't trust the brand to manufacture anything consistently.

It's a bit sad, really, as Sigma does have some interesting stuff, but I just won't seriously consider a Sigma product at all.

smokysun

i have to confess i once saw a sigma factory tour on pbase.com and it wasn't nearly as neat a place as leica! on the other hand, how many times have you heard someone say they went through five leica/canon/nikon lenses to get a sharp one? it's sort of like what someone told me about jaguars. one-third lemons, one-third middling, and one-third terrific. the proof of the pudding is in the eating. here are a few portraits with the sigma 50 2.8. i still like them.

http://www.pbase.com/wwp/pain

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I have had to go through several Leica lenses to find a good one.
OTOH, my first Sigma was spot on but that makes no prediction on the second.
YMMV
-bob

Last edited:
[...]Just to put a bit of scale to things, Nikon's 17-55 f/2.8 (which, of course, is too slow for some folks here) weighs in at around 750 grams (no caps, no filter). Reworked for a non-DLSR mounting, perhaps Leica could get an f/2.8 version down to around 500 grams. But if you want f/2...:rolleyes:
Yes, but a Summicron-ASPH 35mm weighs just 250 grams. Covers a full frame. I believe that's closer to the standard of what folks are wishing this camera had.

Seriously, wouldn't a 35mm (equiv) f/2.0 lens that covers this format be smaller than the current ASPH? Maybe bigger than the pancake 2.8, but still...

lambert

X1 lens design all wrong

Leica should have used a flat/pancake lens on the X1 rather than that dinky telescopic lens. The X1 lens needs to extend on power-up adding a slight delay and mechanical/motor noise. And when in use it just sticks out like a sore thumb. I much prefer the GF1 in this regard.

P

PeterLeyssens

EU pricing seems to be set: the Dutch shop Foto Konijnenberg has it up at €1575. Do note that this shop usually has very good prices.

I will start saving. If the money will go to the X1 remains to be seen, but chances are it will.

Peter.

Lars

Re: X1 lens design all wrong

Leica should have used a flat/pancake lens on the X1 rather than that dinky telescopic lens. The X1 lens needs to extend on power-up adding a slight delay and mechanical/motor noise. And when in use it just sticks out like a sore thumb. I much prefer the GF1 in this regard.
Amen to that. f/2 designs don't have to be that big. f/1.4 OTOH that's a different story.

Personally I think the collapsible lens makes the camera look cheap, by association to cheap P/S cameras. We're talking a $2K investment here, not a $150 writeoff. A rigid, slightly larger design would have been much more durable, as well as confidence-inspiring - it's not really a pocketable camera anyway.

V

Vivek

The GF-1's 20/1.7 also needs to extend before it is ready to shoot, adding delay. Not a big difference.

I am sure there are reasons (retrofocus design to fit the lens) why the lens has to stick out.

It is highly unlikely that we would ever find a Hologon type digital camera in the near future.

A Leica CL+a 28/6 Orion-15 (no need for an external viewfinder)- hard to beat!;)

lambert

The GF1 lens does not need to extend. The size of the lens remains as seen in the attached image when in use. And there is no noise when powered up.

I have owned cameras like the DP1 and DP2 and various point and shoots and I just don't like those long peeperscopic lenses. Particularly since I often leave my camera powered up & ready to shoot.

The GF-1's 20/1.7 also needs to extend before it is ready to shoot, adding delay. Not a big difference.

I am sure there are reasons (retrofocus design to fit the lens) why the lens has to stick out.

It is highly unlikely that we would ever find a Hologon type digital camera in the near future.

A Leica CL+a 28/6 Orion-15 (no need for an external viewfinder)- hard to beat!;)