Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: M9 images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M9 images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Here's a shot at ISO 320. It's subtle but it's there...
    set the luminance noise reduction to zero and it will be more obvious.
    I had the very same with 2 P21+ backs. De-focus, underexpose 1 stop, set lumin. NR to zero and and push the contrast in the RAW converter and you'll see it quite good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should be able to go straight back and exchange it no? It was probably like this out of the box, you just didn't see it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Five View Post
    I would demand to get a new one.
    The Leica rep is still at our local shop. I'm on the phone with them right now!!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd what version firmware . there is a update out there to 1.02 but I am not sure what it exactly does
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've said it before, not all kodak sensors are created equal-my first M8 exhibited pixel blooming defects from the get go and eventually developed the stuck pixel-line issue. After it was replaced both issues were corrected. I have never seen the same blooming issue in any other M8 or in posted pics. Kodak's quality control seems to miss sometimes.

You could think of it like a decentered lens. Just part of the manufacturing "process" that you don't have to accept. Guess we have to ask for three samples and test all M's now before taking them home. Dealers will be pleased no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Lloyd what version firmware . there is a update out there to 1.02 but I am not sure what it exactly does
    my stuck row persisted through a couple firmware updates. I was waiting to send it in for the upgrade so lived with it. but firmware is not going to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You certainly maybe right Robert just checking some of the obvious things to start. And I agree you can get a bad sensor
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Version 1.00. Not been upgraded yet. My rep is checking her two cameras right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I certainly went around the mulberry bush with mine so my advice is cut to the chase scene. I also have a GRD-II with a line...maybe its just me!

heck, even my M6 had some sort of issue with the shutter that left a dark line near the top of the frame, chasing that "bug" down was even worse

did I ever tell you about the 5D that the mirror fell out...

and don't get me started on shimming sliding backs for large format

You certainly maybe right Robert just checking some of the obvious things to start. And I agree you can get a bad sensor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good . Keep us plugged in

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to make myself feel better about things... at ISO 2500 the well exposed areas aren't too bad. Certainly not the Nikon D3, but then, what is?

Attachment 21843

100% Crop... (with the line again, but the noise in the well exposed areas is tolerable.)
    Attachment 21844
    Last edited by Lloyd; 10th September 2010 at 10:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems like I have to wait until tomorrow before I can test the camera again myself...

Keep us posted what happens with your camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You actually have to lines!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap!!

I just noticed a second line in the cropped version of that last. Look through his arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look in the second photo. Under his cheek.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Going back RIGHT NOW. Later!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

no doubt the noise performance is much improved. And with C1 noise reduction I am pretty sure you could get a 5DII level ISO 3200 file out of the camera that would be the equal in sharpness considering canon is mushing the pixels out of the gate anyway.

it is too bad that they can't write a pixel mapping routine into the firmware that you could activate by shooting a middle grey blank at high ISO and have the camera map out a stuck pixel or funky line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's just hope this lines are really only happening in a very few rare cases, otherwise we are back at M8 level, when it comes to Leica and quality control....

ddk

Yup. I just found it in a shot at 160, which is the lowest I tried. Not happy.
    Sorry to see that Lloyd, hope they have a good one in stock for you! For what's worth the first flower image shows some fantastic qualities!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

shot taken at CameraWest with 50 lux asph @ iso 2500

.. 100% crop

lightroom 2.4, no noise removal, no sharpening

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Sorry to see that Lloyd, hope they have a good one in stock for you! For what's worth the first flower image shows some fantastic qualities!
    Thanks David. Mine is back in their hands. Not another available until the 3rd shipment, so I'm on the sidelines for a while at least. I may just sit back and see how this shakes out. I have a habit of being an early adopter, and you'd think I'd learn. There are many, many things to love about the M9... I can see that a great deal of thought (and listening to input from working photogs) went into its design and function. I was (am?) more than excited to work with one... there are indeed some fantastic qualities to it's images. BTW, to me one of the best things about it was the big, bright viewfinder... and I loved that the framelines for my telephoto lenses was so much larger. Much easier to frame and to focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any chance to see the full image. To get a feeling of the crop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David. Mine is back in their hands. Not another available until the 3rd shipment, so I'm on the sidelines for a while at least. I may just sit back and see how this shakes out. I have a habit of being an early adopter, and you'd think I'd learn. There are many, many things to love about the M9... I can see that a great deal of thought (and listening to input from working photogs) went into its design and function. I was (am?) more than excited to work with one... there are indeed some fantastic qualities to it's images. BTW, to me one of the best things about it was the big, bright viewfinder... and I loved that the framelines for my telephoto lenses was so much larger. Much easier to frame and to focus.
    I was an early adopter too and suffered a little, my very first M8 died after 24 hours....
    I don't regret buying the camera for a second, but I have had to live with a little frustration from time to time. There really isn't any other game in town if you like to shoot this way and the IQ is unmatched. Just the reliability sucks. I think it may not be Leica per se but the partners, jenoptic, kodak, wherever the subassemblies come from, they have not tightened down the screws there because it is not entirely under their roof so to speak. if they were as large as canon they could chase these bugs to their source and work on them but that is not the case. things they can't control, only test for, and this line bug is intermittent in the beginning which makes it possible to miss.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    I was an early adopter too and suffered a little, my very first M8 died after 24 hours....
    I don't regret buying the camera for a second, but I have had to live with a little frustration from time to time. There really isn't any other game in town if you like to shoot this way and the IQ is unmatched. Just the reliability sucks. I think it may not be Leica per se but the partners, jenoptic, kodak, wherever the subassemblies come from, they have not tightened down the screws there because it is not entirely under their roof so to speak. if they were as large as canon they could chase these bugs to their source and work on them but that is not the case. things they can't control, only test for, and this line bug is intermittent in the beginning which makes it possible to miss.
    I'm sure that's true. I got the first M8 that arrived at my local shop, and found issues with the sensor before I even got it home. It had a number of frustrating bugs, and having been a Leica shooter since 1968, I was pretty frustrated. I ultimately went through three M8s before finding my current copy, which I dearly love, and which I intend to keep even with the M9. I agree with what you say, but at the very dear prices we pay for Leica, some first-rate QC doesn't seem too much to expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Any chance to see the full image. To get a feeling of the crop.
    no processing in Lightoom (everything default .. auto WB), exception of noise and sharpening, zeroed out

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

one note... i shot it with the 50 lux apsh, but the lens detect was set on manual and 16mm (i was playing around with the CV 12 before this)

Post Thanks / Like

And Jim, you just helped Leica realize their fears! LOL You'd think Leica code could add some code to detect if a six bit lens is mounted, and if so, prompt you with a friendly reminder after mounting the new lens. Hopefully firmware 1.03 will introduce such a feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    And Jim, you just helped Leica realize their fears! LOL You'd think if the camera detects six bit coding that it could automatically prompt you. Hopefully firmware 1.03 will introduce such a feature.
    i agree.. the lens i put back on was a coded version of the 50 asph lux., so it would have seen it was something different.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jim,
    I thought, but could be dead wrong, that you could manually set a lens but if there was a code on the lens the camera would pick up the code.
    The camera has to be set to Automatic to detect the coding. It it's on manual, it must be set manually. However, from what I've seen, I don't think there is much going on with the settings other than the metadata having the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens mounted. Most of the adjustments made via the coding on when on the M8 have be eliminated (as has the need for IR filters). I accidently shot some with an IR filter still mounted, and did not a little subtle vignetting, but that was all. The camera seemed to work well whether I set the proper code, had a coded lens on auto or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CV 12 at F8, no filter. I didn't notice the vignette when i took it. i had the lens shade (John's), but i didn't take it off to see if that was the cause.

i had the lens detect set to manual and set to 16mm

it's going to take some corner work to get the color right

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The camera has to be set to Automatic to detect the coding. It it's on manual, it must be set manually. However, from what I've seen, I don't think there is much going on with the settings other than the metadata having the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens mounted. Most of the adjustments made via the coding on when on the M8 have be eliminated (as has the need for IR filters). I accidently shot some with an IR filter still mounted, and did not a little subtle vignetting, but that was all. The camera seemed to work well whether I set the proper code, had a coded lens on auto or not.
    Ha, I actually deleted my post after reading the manual. From what I've heard you still want to make sure your wides are coded or selected in the menu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the 12mm looks horrible ^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm lux pre-asph (all wide open)

100% crop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It was my first thought when the M9 was announced-damn-I sold my 12mm!

I think the hood might be an issue-even the stock CV hood might vignette a little?

There is no doubt it will not be as great a lens as it was on the M8-but we are talking 12mm rectilinear after all, and not absurdly priced.

My bet is that it is not as bad as these samples seem to suggest. some extreme corner funkiness notwithstanding.

The new 15cv focus coupled is another one I am dying to see full frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

50mm lux preasph (wide open)
    focus was at 1M (unfortunate that the camera won't focus to the lens' .7M)

100% crop

all images at ISO 400
    no noise reduction
    no sharpening
    Lightroom 2.4

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd,
    VERY sorry to hear of your M9's problem. Hope they can take care of you with another M9 faster than what they are telling you.
    Wishing you the best,
    GlennB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
    Lloyd,
    VERY sorry to hear of your M9's problem. Hope they can take care of you with another M9 faster than what they are telling you.
    Wishing you the best,
    GlennB
    Thanks GlennB. Much appreciated.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see that the M9 preserves the "Leica glow."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 is coming out with 4.8.3 tomorrow that supports the M9 files and has some other improvements as well . Plus Snow leopard improvements , can't wait. I am already loaded with SL now

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

M9 with 50mm,640iso.

What I really like is that you can manually slect the lens and therefore use all kind of uncoded lenses, like my old 35mm Summicron for example.

DOF is even shallower and therefore focus shift, frontfocus etc. even more visible (from my first experiences).

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lloyd, sorry about the camera.

35lux shot--that's the glow, huh. I've never shot with the 35lux, but have seen that glow in a Victar 50/2.8

50lux shot, looks great--nice colors.

2500ISO--looks good to me--kinda like D300 3200ISO.

Good stuff--great camera!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd -- just in case you want to know what was going on with your sensor --
    I had the same thing happen with my DMR. I was finally told that it was a hot pixel that receives too much voltage. This causes a cascade down the whole sensor line, leading to a higher luminance. These hot pixels can be mapped out -- basically they just turn off that sensor site, and the chain reaction stops. Then they just have the software make that pixel identical to the pixel next to it. You can't do that at home though. But I think you were right to return it -- you should not have to deal with that in a new camera.

Mine looked like this and appeared spontaneously on this image after about 8000 photos with the DMR. It did not go away:

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook