The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 images

Lloyd

Trying to make myself feel better about things... at ISO 2500 the well exposed areas aren't too bad. Certainly not the Nikon D3, but then, what is?

View attachment 21843

100% Crop... (with the line again, but the noise in the well exposed areas is tolerable.)
View attachment 21844

Last edited:

Erik Five

Seems like I have to wait until tomorrow before I can test the camera again myself...

Keep us posted what happens with your camera.

Lloyd

Holy crap!! :wtf::wtf:

I just noticed a second line in the cropped version of that last. Look through his arm.

robertwright

no doubt the noise performance is much improved. And with C1 noise reduction I am pretty sure you could get a 5DII level ISO 3200 file out of the camera that would be the equal in sharpness considering canon is mushing the pixels out of the gate anyway.

it is too bad that they can't write a pixel mapping routine into the firmware that you could activate by shooting a middle grey blank at high ISO and have the camera map out a stuck pixel or funky line.

Christopher

Let's just hope this lines are really only happening in a very few rare cases, otherwise we are back at M8 level, when it comes to Leica and quality control....

D

ddk

Yup. I just found it in a shot at 160, which is the lowest I tried. Not happy. :mad:
Sorry to see that Lloyd, hope they have a good one in stock for you! For what's worth the first flower image shows some fantastic qualities!

JimCollum

shot taken at CameraWest with 50 lux asph @ iso 2500

.. 100% crop

lightroom 2.4, no noise removal, no sharpening

Lloyd

Sorry to see that Lloyd, hope they have a good one in stock for you! For what's worth the first flower image shows some fantastic qualities!
Thanks David. Mine is back in their hands. Not another available until the 3rd shipment, so I'm on the sidelines for a while at least. I may just sit back and see how this shakes out. I have a habit of being an early adopter, and you'd think I'd learn. There are many, many things to love about the M9... I can see that a great deal of thought (and listening to input from working photogs) went into its design and function. I was (am?) more than excited to work with one... there are indeed some fantastic qualities to it's images. BTW, to me one of the best things about it was the big, bright viewfinder... and I loved that the framelines for my telephoto lenses was so much larger. Much easier to frame and to focus.

robertwright

Thanks David. Mine is back in their hands. Not another available until the 3rd shipment, so I'm on the sidelines for a while at least. I may just sit back and see how this shakes out. I have a habit of being an early adopter, and you'd think I'd learn. There are many, many things to love about the M9... I can see that a great deal of thought (and listening to input from working photogs) went into its design and function. I was (am?) more than excited to work with one... there are indeed some fantastic qualities to it's images. BTW, to me one of the best things about it was the big, bright viewfinder... and I loved that the framelines for my telephoto lenses was so much larger. Much easier to frame and to focus.
I was an early adopter too and suffered a little, my very first M8 died after 24 hours....
I don't regret buying the camera for a second, but I have had to live with a little frustration from time to time. There really isn't any other game in town if you like to shoot this way and the IQ is unmatched. Just the reliability sucks. I think it may not be Leica per se but the partners, jenoptic, kodak, wherever the subassemblies come from, they have not tightened down the screws there because it is not entirely under their roof so to speak. if they were as large as canon they could chase these bugs to their source and work on them but that is not the case. things they can't control, only test for, and this line bug is intermittent in the beginning which makes it possible to miss.

Lloyd

I was an early adopter too and suffered a little, my very first M8 died after 24 hours....
I don't regret buying the camera for a second, but I have had to live with a little frustration from time to time. There really isn't any other game in town if you like to shoot this way and the IQ is unmatched. Just the reliability sucks. I think it may not be Leica per se but the partners, jenoptic, kodak, wherever the subassemblies come from, they have not tightened down the screws there because it is not entirely under their roof so to speak. if they were as large as canon they could chase these bugs to their source and work on them but that is not the case. things they can't control, only test for, and this line bug is intermittent in the beginning which makes it possible to miss.
I'm sure that's true. I got the first M8 that arrived at my local shop, and found issues with the sensor before I even got it home. It had a number of frustrating bugs, and having been a Leica shooter since 1968, I was pretty frustrated. I ultimately went through three M8s before finding my current copy, which I dearly love, and which I intend to keep even with the M9. I agree with what you say, but at the very dear prices we pay for Leica, some first-rate QC doesn't seem too much to expect.

JimCollum

one note... i shot it with the 50 lux apsh, but the lens detect was set on manual and 16mm (i was playing around with the CV 12 before this)

John Black

And Jim, you just helped Leica realize their fears! LOL You'd think Leica code could add some code to detect if a six bit lens is mounted, and if so, prompt you with a friendly reminder after mounting the new lens. Hopefully firmware 1.03 will introduce such a feature.

JimCollum

And Jim, you just helped Leica realize their fears! LOL You'd think if the camera detects six bit coding that it could automatically prompt you. Hopefully firmware 1.03 will introduce such a feature.
i agree.. the lens i put back on was a coded version of the 50 asph lux., so it would have seen it was something different.

Lloyd

Jim,
I thought, but could be dead wrong, that you could manually set a lens but if there was a code on the lens the camera would pick up the code.
The camera has to be set to Automatic to detect the coding. It it's on manual, it must be set manually. However, from what I've seen, I don't think there is much going on with the settings other than the metadata having the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens mounted. Most of the adjustments made via the coding on when on the M8 have be eliminated (as has the need for IR filters). I accidently shot some with an IR filter still mounted, and did not a little subtle vignetting, but that was all. The camera seemed to work well whether I set the proper code, had a coded lens on auto or not.

JimCollum

CV 12 at F8, no filter. I didn't notice the vignette when i took it. i had the lens shade (John's), but i didn't take it off to see if that was the cause.

i had the lens detect set to manual and set to 16mm

it's going to take some corner work to get the color right