The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playing with the M9 now, first thoughts...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim:

Now that you've had your M9 for a few days, can you comment on the color it produces? I ask because I am seeing a inordinately high percentage of B&W images posted by new users compared to color and it leaves me wondering. Is it because they don't like the color or haven't figured out how to get good color out of it yet given the new Bayer filter? Of course they could all prefer B&W images, but then that would indicate Leica should build a monochrome sensored M9...

N

nei1

Now there you have it Jack,start a campaign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim:

Now that you've had your M9 for a few days, can you comment on the color it produces? I ask because I am seeing a inordinately high percentage of B&W images posted by new users compared to color and it leaves me wondering. Is it because they don't like the color or haven't figured out how to get good color out of it yet given the new Bayer filter? Of course they could all prefer B&W images, but then that would indicate Leica should build a monochrome sensored M9...
Hi Jack,

I just got back from a weekend away where I shot a coupla hundred M9 files in very informal circumstances - sort of snapshooting - and am just reviewing them now. At first quick look they look fine since there's no M9 profile in LR yet, I'd be surprised if they couldn't be eventually rather better. The only thing I have spotted so far is some posterisation in very subtle mist and fog shots but this manifests in B&W and colour and I haven't quite figured it out yet!

I will report back when I have something more cogent to say!

Best

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Jack,

I just got back from a weekend away where I shot a coupla hundred M9 files in very informal circumstances - sort of snapshooting - and am just reviewing them now. At first quick look they look fine since there's no M9 profile in LR yet, I'd be surprised if they couldn't be eventually rather better. The only thing I have spotted so far is some posterisation in very subtle mist and fog shots but this manifests in B&W and colour and I haven't quite figured it out yet!

I will report back when I have something more cogent to say!

Best

Tim
C1 has a new update 4.8.3 That has the M9 profile

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy! Form this I learn: never buy a new camera and then go off grid for three days - I feel like I've fallen really behind the news here!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just imagine when Jono gets back. LOL

I bet he came home from Holiday today and should be joining us soon. Tim honestly I would not waste my time right now with LR until the update comes in , way too much adjustment for it and may just screw you up. Make sure you have firmware 1.02 in it also than just use C1 for now at least. The profile looks pretty good

cam

Re: pre-asph cron

I'll have to ask them! Canadian pre-asph 35 cron was all I got. What other distinguishing features should I be looking for?
there are four versions, all have quite a different look and feel to them....

the most popular is the last version (IV), named the King of Bokeh. there were issues on build quality, but the excellent images produced cannot be denied. plenty sharp, beautiful colours, so close to the Asph without the clinical feel. and the tiny size of this (and the others) is well in keeping of the Leica tradition.

i personally have the first version, 8 element one. lower contrast and slightly muted colours but amazingly sharp and creamy. i shoot mostly b/w so i love this one! (these may be an acquired taste with their old-style look and are, unfortunately, more popular with collectors.)

v. II is an unknown to me. sorry.

v.III has the highest contrast of the lot, though i found it to be very close to the more expensive v. IV. (one caveat: i tried this before i became so glass obsessed so i don't know if i'd see more nuances now.)

i remember reading once that a famous photographer had a 35 Cron for the day and a Lux for night. as both the pre-asphs were so small, it's very easy to use them as such and i've done this often.

i've been unfaithful to this ideal since i got the larger 35 Lux Asph -- but that's mostly because the pre-asph Lux only has near focus of 1 meter (all pre-asph Crons go down to .7m). i've never been tempted by the 35 Cron Asph as the draw, to me, isn't as appealing. it's all a matter of taste.... still, if there's a good price and you like the way the pre-asph looks on the M9 (remember, these were made for full frame), i'd consider getting it. there's something magical about shooting with these compact lenses that makes you forget you're in the digital domain!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just imagine when Jono gets back. LOL

I bet he came home from Holiday today and should be joining us soon. Tim honestly I would not waste my time right now with LR until the update comes in , way too much adjustment for it and may just screw you up. Make sure you have firmware 1.02 in it also than just use C1 for now at least. The profile looks pretty good
Jono and I have been texting and he is still in Greece so don't hold your breath! I am downloading latest version C1 now...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: pre-asph cron

there are four versions, all have quite a different look and feel to them....

the most popular is the last version (IV), named the King of Bokeh. there were issues on build quality, but the excellent images produced cannot be denied. plenty sharp, beautiful colours, so close to the Asph without the clinical feel. and the tiny size of this (and the others) is well in keeping of the Leica tradition.

i personally have the first version, 8 element one. lower contrast and slightly muted colours but amazingly sharp and creamy. i shoot mostly b/w so i love this one! (these may be an acquired taste with their old-style look and are, unfortunately, more popular with collectors.)

v. II is an unknown to me. sorry.

v.III has the highest contrast of the lot, though i found it to be very close to the more expensive v. IV. (one caveat: i tried this before i became so glass obsessed so i don't know if i'd see more nuances now.)

i remember reading once that a famous photographer had a 35 Cron for the day and a Lux for night. as both the pre-asphs were so small, it's very easy to use them as such and i've done this often.

i've been unfaithful to this ideal since i got the larger 35 Lux Asph -- but that's mostly because the pre-asph Lux only has near focus of 1 meter (all pre-asph Crons go down to .7m). i've never been tempted by the 35 Cron Asph as the draw, to me, isn't as appealing. it's all a matter of taste.... still, if there's a good price and you like the way the pre-asph looks on the M9 (remember, these were made for full frame), i'd consider getting it. there's something magical about shooting with these compact lenses that makes you forget you're in the digital domain!

That is incredibly useful, I am very grateful indeed - now I know what to look for....