The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

DavidE

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

M8 and 28 Cron - Renovated train station...well, part of it anyway.
I like the color treatment, as well as the interplay between the lines in the windows, bricks, and building versus the lines in the flags. Everything balances with a pleasing geometry.

The bottom flag has 13 alternating stripes, just like the U.S. flag. Does it have any historical significance?

otumay

On the trip to see my parents this weekend I only took the Super-Elmar 18mm f/3.8 so I used that to take my usual few pictures of my parents. Sadly my mother's dementia is much worse and my 97 year-old father is quite frail (albeit mentally all there) so I always try to get a few pictures each weekend when I visit.

Simon
Simon, those photographs are so moving... I guess this is what photography is all about. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Kind regards,
Osman

endre novak

On the trip to see my parents this weekend I only took the Super-Elmar 18mm f/3.8 so I used that to take my usual few pictures of my parents. Sadly my mother's dementia is much worse and my 97 year-old father is quite frail (albeit mentally all there) so I always try to get a few pictures each weekend when I visit.

Simon
Beautiful b/w quality fantastic mood and details.
Lucky you to have them both. 97 is quite an achivement.

S

sclamb

Thanks DavidE, Osman & Endre. I appreciate your kind comments.

Simon

DavidE

More fun with Leica's new 18mm lens.

These are from the Fashion Show shopping mall in Las Vegas. I left the 18mm lens on the camera during the entire trip, as I wanted to learn its strengths and weaknesses. The only drawback -- if you could call it that -- was the maximum 3.8 aperture. On the other hand, the lens is tack-sharp even wide open.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Lloyd

Simon
Simon,

These are simply wonderful images, and more than that, they are important images. I'm more and more convinced that the most important images I make are of my own family. Preserving the memories, of all phases of life, significantly surpasses any "art" I might create. You've done that here. My congratulations.

--Lloyd

Here are some recent images from Joshua Treen National Park. All three are with the M8 camera and 28mm lens. I have to make a digital negative and then I can make the platinum/palladium prints.

Last edited:
S

sclamb

Simon,

These are simply wonderful images, and more than that, they are important images. I'm more and more convinced that the most important images I make are of my own family. Preserving the memories, of all phases of life, significantly surpasses any "art" I might create. You've done that here. My congratulations.

--Lloyd
Thanks Lloyd, much appreciated comments. I hope that my family will feel I have done them proud in the way I have collected photographic memories of them for future generations.

Simon

S

sclamb

More fun with Leica's new 18mm lens.

These are from the Fashion Show shopping mall in Las Vegas. I left the 18mm lens on the camera during the entire trip, as I wanted to learn its strengths and weaknesses. The only drawback -- if you could call it that -- was the maximum 3.8 aperture. On the other hand, the lens is tack-sharp even wide open.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]
I like the gritty look to these. The 18mm is definitely a very versatile lens and, as you say, it is sharp from the widest aperture. The only thing I am still struggling with is that the lens has such a wide field of view that metering for the intended focus point of a picture can sometimes be a challenge.

Simon

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

First two with the Summarex, last one with the 28 Summaron.

stevem8

Three from today...

an old house we found after taking a hike today...

plus, my son found a frog..

and inside the house we found this...

Thanks for looking!

DavidE

I like the gritty look to these. The 18mm is definitely a very versatile lens and, as you say, it is sharp from the widest aperture. The only thing I am still struggling with is that the lens has such a wide field of view that metering for the intended focus point of a picture can sometimes be a challenge.
The gritty look seemed to suit this odd, brightly lit shopping mall. The 18mm provides so much detail, when you ramp up the contrast (or structure in Silver Efex Pro), the effect can be stunning.

With the focus, I ended up using the distance markings on the lens most of the time when shooting from more than about 15 feet. It was quicker and seemed accurate given the wide DOF (I'm still getting the hang of rangefinder focusing).

Here's another one with the same mom and her three kids.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

stevem8

Few recent shots...

The wife as she give me the "Not another lens" look...28 cron

This is also with the 28 Cron. I shot this building a few months back with the Elmarit, but this time had different light and a different lens..

28 Ultron...

28 Cron