The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Seascape

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Very nice image Lloyd, you have posted many excellent images taken with the 75 2.5 in the close focusing range, with a smooth OOF rendition.

I tried the 75 myself and liked the OOF rendition in close wide open, but found the middle distant image to have a harsher look (stopped down a stop or two), and did not buy the lens as a result.

Have you had a similar experience ?

Your images always have me wondering if my assessment was too hasty :confused:

Lloyd

Very nice image Lloyd, you have posted many excellent images taken with the 75 2.5 in the close focusing range, with a smooth OOF rendition.

I tried the 75 myself and liked the OOF rendition in close wide open, but found the middle distant image to have a harsher look (stopped down a stop or two), and did not buy the lens as a result.

Have you had a similar experience ?

Your images always have me wondering if my assessment was too hasty :confused:
Hmm... interesting. Not something I've noticed, to be honest. I do tend to shoot this lens wide open most of the time, however.

I decided to give this lens a try based upon Sean Reid's review. I LOVE the 75 cron, but for the difference in the money, and the wonderfully compact nature of the CV, it was no contest, as I had my sights on some other, more expensive Leica glass at the time. I've never been disappointed in my choice, and a friend of mine in Toronto, Harald Benz, who is, by his own admission, a total lens whore, tried it, and tells me he LOVES it as well... and he's a very picky guy, when it comes to lens quality.

Lloyd

Seascape,

Intrigued by your comments, I took these two shots with the CV 75/2.5 Heliar from a little farther away, and at f4 and f5.6, respectively. Not really "middle distance", but I'm interested in your take on the rendering.

First @ f4:
View attachment 16519

Here @ f5.6:
View attachment 16520

Last edited:

DavidE

I had already posted some images of this Circus Circus trapeze artist, but wanted to try some different ones with this new style of processing.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Lloyd

I had already posted some images of this Circus Circus trapeze artist, but wanted to try some different ones with this new style of processing.

Nice. I particularly like this one. So, you gonna share what you're doing here?

Seascape

Well Lloyd, I certainly like the WO shot best, but although test shots I tried were at were in the 15-20 ft range, I think the 5.6 shot gives more of the busy OOF that I saw.

In reality I just did a half an hour walk around from the camera store, and have wondered ever since if my impressions were wrong.

Thanks for the response.

David K.

stevem8

Lloyd, man that CV 75 looks like a real winner, and just as nice as the Leica 75 2.5 as far as quality goes.

David, that is some crazy processing but it is pretty freaking cool and works with those shots. Nice.

DavidE

Nice. I particularly like this one. So, you gonna share what you're doing here?
I guess the short answer is "I'm not sure what I'm doing." I was messing around in Lightroom and liked what I came up with. Now I paste those same settings into other images for a starting point and then mess around until the settings suit that particular photo.

Some of the settings are fairly extreme. For the photo you mentioned, I have Recovery at 4, Fill Light at 92, Blacks at 49, Brightness at 50, Contrast at -18, Clarity at 57, and Vibrance at -100. The Tone Curve is pumped up with Highlights at 0, Lights at 39, Darks at 11, and Shadows at 32. For the third image in that group, I have Recovery at 48, Fill Light at 64, Blacks at 36, Brightness at 50, Contrast at 57, Clarity at 71, and Vibrance at -100. The Tone Curve is the same as the other image. And for the first image in that group, I have Recovery at 73, Fill Light at 57, Blacks at 27, Brightness at 50, Contrast at 73, Clarity at 83, and Vibrance at -100. The Tone Curve is the same as the other two.

These settings make some images look awful. For others, they look crisper with an inner glow, though you lose mid-tone detail.

Here's an example. I shot this a few weeks ago at the Las Vegas Convention Center with the 18mm. The first was processed my usual way -- first with Capture One, then Lightroom, and then Silver Efex Pro. With the second one, I loaded the DNG file directly into Lightroom and applied the settings (with no Capture One or Silver Efex Pro adjustments). In this case, I don't think the second one is necessarily better -- only different.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Last edited:

cyberguru

Hello All, beautiful photos. Nice to see samples of different lenses.

Made me want to make my first post and share some photos :)

50mm Lux pre-asph II 'millenium edition' @ f/1.4 + lightroom

28mm Cron @ f/2 + CS3 plugin Nik Software Film effects 'Kodak Porta 160VC'

50mm Lux ASPH @ f/1.4 + CS3 plugin Nik Software Film effects 'Fujichrome Sensia 100'

Last edited:

Lloyd

Hello All, beautiful photos. Nice to see samples of different lenses.

Made me want to make my first post and share some photos :)
Great first post. Nice work, great lenses, wonderful processing, beautiful model. :thumbup:

helenhill

50/1.5 Sonnar....
late Afternoon at Il Bucco
waiting for Friends
waiting for my Glass of Wine to cool me Out
and a latte to keep me going :p

Lloyd

50/1.5 Sonnar....
late Afternoon at Il Bucco
waiting for my Glass of Wine to cool me Out
and a latte to keep me going :p
Beautiful shot, Helen. Rockin' in analog and digital. Nice!:thumbup:

Lloyd

I guess the short answer is "I'm not sure what I'm doing." I was messing around in Lightroom and liked what I came up with. Now I paste those same settings into other images for a starting point and then mess around until the settings suit that particular photo.

Some of the settings are fairly extreme. For the photo you mentioned, I have Recovery at 4, Fill Light at 92, Blacks at 49, Brightness at 50, Contrast at -18, Clarity at 57, and Vibrance at -100. The Tone Curve is pumped up with Highlights at 0, Lights at 39, Darks at 11, and Shadows at 32. For the third image in that group, I have Recovery at 48, Fill Light at 64, Blacks at 36, Brightness at 50, Contrast at 57, Clarity at 71, and Vibrance at -100. The Tone Curve is the same as the other image. And for the first image in that group, I have Recovery at 73, Fill Light at 57, Blacks at 27, Brightness at 50, Contrast at 73, Clarity at 83, and Vibrance at -100. The Tone Curve is the same as the other two.

These settings make some images look awful. For others, they look crisper with an inner glow, though you lose mid-tone detail.

Here's an example. I shot this a few weeks ago at the Las Vegas Convention Center with the 18mm. The first was processed my usual way -- first with Capture One, then Lightroom, and then Silver Efex Pro. With the second one, I loaded the DNG file directly into Lightroom and applied the settings (with no Capture One or Silver Efex Pro adjustments). In this case, I don't think the second one is necessarily better -- only different.

Thanks for the info, David. Always interesting to see what others are doing. You make a good point about the two images... one not better, only different. Had I seen either alone, I would find much to like either way. I love the subtle light on the sides of the first, which tends to emphasis the vanishing point effect. The second is much more dramatic, and the strong detail in the carpet is especially impressive.

Always enjoy your images. Thanks for sharing.

akiralx

Four shots from last weekend, at the summit of Mount Pilatus, Switzerland, M8 + new 24 Elmar and CV 15.

Note the cogwheel railway (the steepest in the world) toiling up the slope in #1

DavidE

Some odds and ends. The first two are from the LA-area trip with the 28 cron (off the tour bus now). The third and fourth are from the Adventuredome in Las Vegas with the Leica 18mm. I've been kicking these four images around, trying to figure out how best to process them.

Lloyd

Four shots from last weekend, at the summit of Mount Pilatus, Switzerland, M8 + new 24 Elmar and CV 15.

Note the cogwheel railway (the steepest in the world) toiling up the slope in #1
These really are wonderful. :bugeyes:

Which was shot with the CV 15? I like the fact that I can't tell!:thumbup:

DavidE

Here's another one I've been mulling over. Couldn't get the processing right. It's an interior shot of the Encore hotel in Las Vegas. Used the Leica 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]