The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

DavidE

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Another from the 35 Lux wide open...

I printed this one today and the print is sooooooo nice. Love the M8 files...
I have to echo what Lloyd said, it's a beautiful image, and my favorite one of the series (so far). I like the way her left foot points in. It gives the photo a more casual feel.

It's difficult to see what you're doing with the 35 lux, what Jaap is doing with the 24 lux, and what Jono is doing with the Zeiss 25, and not want to buy more lenses. Must resist urge to buy another lens (must... pay... off... home... repair... bills... instead...).

jonoslack

It's difficult to see what you're doing with the 35 lux, what Jaap is doing with the 24 lux, and what Jono is doing with the Zeiss 25, and not want to buy more lenses. Must resist urge to buy another lens (must... pay... off... home... repair... bills... instead...).
Hmm well, the zeiss is cheap as chips (1/3 price of the 35, and 1/5 price of the 24) it's probably sharper than either of them too :) (perhaps it's not quite as subtle however).

DavidE

Hmm well, the zeiss is cheap as chips (1/3 price of the 35, and 1/5 price of the 24) it's probably sharper than either of them too :) (perhaps it's not quite as subtle however).
Cheap is good (or at least cheap in relative terms). Are you able to use the 24mm framelines in the built-in viewfinder?

jonoslack

Cheap is good (or at least cheap in relative terms). Are you able to use the 24mm framelines in the built-in viewfinder?
Absolutely, and it's coded as a 24mm elmarit as well (John Milich did the coding).

stevem8

Just got a Zeiss 50 Sonnar (traded in my 50 Lux for the 90 Cron and this sonnar) so I tortured my son with the 1st test shot...

Taken at 1.5

jonoslack

Just got a Zeiss 50 Sonnar (traded in my 50 Lux for the 90 Cron and this sonnar) so I tortured my son with the 1st test shot...

Taken at 1.5
Nothing wrong with the lens or the photograph (both lovely), but what have you done to your son that he'll pose? . .. I have three of the buggers, and trying to take a photograph of them is more difficult than getting a saddle on the horse!

DavidE

Trying to figure out which types of images are best suited to this new way of processing. This one didn't quite work with color or standard B&W. Seems to work better with a higher-contrast look. Shot with the 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

Like a hammer that sees everything as a nail, I apply a similar processing to different images until I find one that fits. Been kicking this one around for a while.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Last edited:

DavidE

Here's one more.

DavidE

Very nice, David. Almost looks HDR.
Thanks, Lloyd. The processing seems to enhance the three-dimensional quality of the image, especially with the 18mm shots that have a full-frame depth of field.

jonoslack

Thanks, Lloyd. The processing seems to enhance the three-dimensional quality of the image, especially with the 18mm shots that have a full-frame depth of field.
David, they're all great, grand job with the conversions . . . have you tried silver efex-pro for the black and white . . it's gloriously . . . erm . . . glorious!

Lloyd and Steve
thanks for the kind comments - I'm not really a fan of HDR, and I'm never convinced by magic bullets (programs which will magically fix your shot). So that one was to conversions (one 2 stops over, one 2 stops under) combined in photoshop. I could have done it better, but that took about 3 minutes.

DavidE

David, they're all great, grand job with the conversions . . . have you tried silver efex-pro for the black and white . . it's gloriously . . . erm . . . glorious!
I have tried it, though I haven't progressed much beyond the defaults. I should dig into it deeper.

Here's one where I used the new processing, and then ran it through Silver Efex Pro for good measure.

jonoslack

I have tried it, though I haven't progressed much beyond the defaults. I should dig into it deeper.

Here's one where I used the new processing, and then ran it through Silver Efex Pro for good measure.

Hi David
that's splendid, I love that snap and concentration.
excellent.