The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun time / M8 images

Maggie: I am gonna buck the trend here and say I don't care for the sky in that shot... To my eyes on my calibrated monitor it doesn't look natural, and kind of looks over-cooked, like too big a step in an HDR blend --- ?

~~~

Bob: I do like your pastel sky too --- remind me when we're in Moab to show you a nifty little trick to alter it for different effects.

Maggie O

Sometimes, unnatural is what I'm shooting for, Jack. I like HDR clouds now and then.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Sometimes, unnatural is what I'm shooting for, Jack. I like HDR clouds now and then.
That's cool by me, and certainly your prerogative as the artist! :salute:

And to be clear, I liked the cloud STRUCTURE, I just felt it didn't quite "fit" the look of the rest of the image...

Maggie O

Fair enough!

Any ideas on how to handle the sky, so that it still pops, but still "fits?" I'm all for messing around with it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Fair enough!

Any ideas on how to handle the sky, so that it still pops, but still "fits?" I'm all for messing around with it!
IMO the big problem with tone mapping and HDR is the way it lowers contrast to fit the entire range of brightness into the narrower space. So basically, if I were using them, I'd adjust the brightness and contrast in the sky relative to the buildings/foreground so the total lighting in the image appears more balanced. IOW bring back the contrast into a more normal appearing range -- after all, the sun is still out ;) This is a quick and dirty, but gives you the general idea, your original on the bottom for reference:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Jack,
All I did for the Chicago Skyline was to set levels.
The haze was very think.
-bob

Maggie O

FWIW, here's the original, practically straight out of the camera, JPEG:

So, by trying to bring out some foreground detail, I unbalanced the image...hummm. Must tinker some more.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I set the white and black points and put a tiny s-curve on it. I also did a perspective correction.

I think I liked the moodiness of Maggie's original sky better than the other versions. YMMV

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I converted to srgb before I saved. Why does mine display with so much more cyan than Jack's or Maggie's??? Any ideas?

woodyspedden

I converted to srgb before I saved. Why does mine display with so much more cyan than Jack's or Maggie's??? Any ideas?
Just a thought Cindy

Are you sure you "converted" and not "assigned" the srgb profile? You can get really weird colors if you assign the profile.

Woody

Maggie O

OK, here's my latest version, with more contrast and light, possibly too much:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Woody,
No, I converted. Maybe I should not have done that to Maggie's file. I have seen this before. All I did to Maggies file was: New, paste in Maggie's file, curves (use eyedropper to set black and white points--used threshold mask to find them.) Converted to srb and saved.????

Maggie,
I like your latest version.

S

sonya

hi everyone,

some photos from a christmas holiday trip to california. all were taken at pebble beach one beautifully miserable morning.

sonya

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Sonya,
Your photos are stunning. I especially like three and seven.:clap::clap::clap: