Post Thanks / Like

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Yeah, and color too...
    This shot was one of the reasons why I want to have a 75 Lux

Post Thanks / Like

M8 1,4/75 @ 1,4
    Last edited by f 1,0; 11th May 2010 at 02:12.

Post Thanks / Like

M8 1,4/75 @ 1,4
    color

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks f/1! I am glad you like the photo. You have some lovely ones.

Cam, thanks to you too for the compliments. As for a wider lens with the magic -- I think the 35/1.4 ASPH has it. It is not quite the same, but it is an outstanding lens that is sharp, has nice bokeh, and is eminently usable. Again, I like it better on film than the M8, but it works well on the M8 too. For the M8, I primarily use the 28/2 and 50/1.4 ASPH, too other great lenses, but with less personality I think.

35/1.4 ASPH on M8...apologies if you have seen these:

And on film:

If it matters to people, the first M8 photo was at 2.8, then every other photo was at f/1.4 -- it is a super lens wide open.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

beautiful shots, f/1!

thank you, Stuart for your input and lovely examples, sigh.... i do have my eye on a 28/2 that's going for a reasonable price, but think it is the 35/1.4 ASPH that i really want. (a little concerned about the troubles people say they have had with this on the M8, though.) i know focus wide open is brutal on the M8, but.... i am such a Mandler girl!

what are the sweet spots for both of these lenses (other than wide open)? you are a font of knowledge, i will gladly drink from.

Post Thanks / Like

35/1.4 ASPH on M8...apologies if you have seen these:

gorgeous light
    charming woman
    The shirt has the same color as the eyes - wonderful

thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

M8 1,4/75 @ 1,4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam, the main reason I use the 28/2 and 50/1.4 on the M8 is because the 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 have focus shift on the M8. I have never noticed it on film, but on digital it can be an issue. Both my 35/1.4 and 75/1.4 focus more or less spot on at 1.4, but then they focus behind the point of focus from f/2 to f/4 or so. Overall, I think the non-shifting of the 28/2 and 50/1.4 make them easier to use on the M8. That said, lots of times camera to subject distance and aperture cover up for any slight focus shift in the 35 and 75. Just be prepared for some shots with people's ears in focus, rather than their eyes.

Overall, I think both lenses can be used at any aperture. That said, I think both are really superb at f/4 -- you are reaching a good balance of very high sharpness and still a nice, good amount of bokeh (well, depending on camera to subject distance).

Here are two shots taken at f/4:

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As far as I am concerned there is only one other lens (the Zeiss 110mm f/2 Planar for 6x6) that can give you that same perfect combination of subject isolation and creamy background -- a Goldilocks lens -- everything is just right.
    Stuart - the R80/1.4 has the same (similar) look. Same design and same year as the M75, and the characteristics from 1.4 - 5.6 are about the same for both lenses from what I have seen. It is really nice because you have such a range of "looks" in the way the lens renders in that range and even from 1.4 - 2.0. There is a sweet spot for portraits at 3.4 on the R80 (depending on your distance from the subject) where you can get nose, eyes, and ears in focus but still have wonderful isolation and creamy backgrounds - just like you were saying about the M75. Did you ever use it when you had the DMR?

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two more from the Adventuredome in Las Vegas. For the roller coaster shots, I tried to have everything steady except for the blur of the roller coaster. For these two Disko ride shots, I waited until the ride reached its crest, hoping I could get a steady shot of the ride without any blur.

The Leica UV/IR filter isn't yet available for the 18mm lens. You can see some probably-shouldn't-be purple fabric in the first shot.

Apart from the temporary lack of the filter, I'm very happy with the 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f 1,0 View Post
    M8 1,4/75 @ 1,4
    Brilliant!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuart, Some great shots and info. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

This is from last week's NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) tradeshow. I squatted on the floor to shoot it at 1/15 of a second. I used the Leica 18mm lens.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]
    Last edited by DavidE; 30th April 2009 at 11:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All three images are taken near Jumbo Rocks area in Joshua Tree National Park. Makes you wonder how these rocks stay there with all the shaking that CA does. All are taken with an M8 and then made into platinum prints.
    Last edited by Patrick Kolb; 4th December 2012 at 12:42.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lovely, Patrick! i was going to ask you where after your last set of JT images, but here you say. and the last shot is unmistakeable!

i spent many Thanksgivings at Jumbo Rocks, but stayed elsewhere in the park, usually, if i was going to climb. sigh.... just beautiful, you make me miss it!

ETA: and, Davis, your NAB shots -- another old haunt.... do you ever get out to Red Rocks during the shows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Cam,
    The third image should tell you that we were in the Jumbo Rocks campground, enter and go to the left. After taking that image, I turned around and saw the first image, didn't even have to move much. I am with you, the more time I spend there, the more I enjoy it.
    Patrick
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yes! it is an addictive and seductive place! you've captured some of its otherworldliness well.

the thought of bringing an M8 out there scares me to death, though! i remember what that tequila bottle looked like when it was dropped during a sunset climb. the incident will forever be known as "Blood on the Rocks."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    your NAB shots -- another old haunt.... do you ever get out to Red Rocks during the shows?
    Sadly, I've never been far away from the convention center or the strip during all the years I've been going there. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile excursion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Sadly, I've never been far away from the convention center or the strip during all the years I've been going there. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile excursion.
    i'm going to slap you upside the head for that!

you seem to go to even more trade shows than i ever did (and i did quite a lot) and you've never been? abso****inglutely stunning! seriously, next show you have to go and try to catch sunset or sunrise there. take a sick day! it's absolutely another place altogether and you will never think of Vegas the same. the colours, at the right time of day, are outrageous. but even in flat light, there is a beauty of it's own. and if you can get high enough (i only did this on a climb), you can see all the lights from the strip....

there are also so many fantastic "ranches" out there and a whimsical brothel museum. classic photo opportunities that are so incongruous with the Strip. all the old-timers i met were fantastic and i truly regret i was not into photography at the time though i can still see the faces in my head. one word of caution, though -- do not even think of doing the wine tasting offered out that way. makes Manishevitz taste like Veuve Clicquot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. makes Manishevitz taste like Veuve Clicquot.
    Those two statements crack me up... and that last one, too *****ing true!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Those two statements crack me up... and that last one, too *****ing true!
    always happy to amuse!

(i get in soooooooo much trouble here by the fact that the littlest thing can set me off in gales of laughter. they all think, rightly so, that i am utterly mad )

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! Hey, use a rolled-up newspaper next time!

You're right, I need to venture out more when I'm in Vegas. I should add an extra day, rent a car, and explore the terrain.

Here are some more from the NAB (and Digital Cinema Summit) trip -- all with the new 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

sclamb

You're getting a lot of opportunities to use that 18mm :-) I need to get out more.

Simon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sclamb View Post
    You're getting a lot of opportunities to use that 18mm :-) I need to get out more.

Simon
    The timing worked out well with the 18mm. David Farkas was able to ship the lens to me a couple of days before I left for NAB.

I don't get out that much, except for the tradeshows I attend, so I'm trying to set aside time at the shows to use the camera. Turns out my yard and street aren't all that interesting visually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Ouch! Hey, use a rolled-up newspaper next time!
    i promise! (sorry)

your explanation that you are an attendee makes me feel a bit sheepish. i worked the trade shows so there was time to go and play a little if set up went well, before the grind began.

i think that 18mm is stunning! and you do get shots i never would (too busy putting my feet up if i wasn't schmoozing dealers -- day after day on that floor in heels is brutal). what aperture were you using most of the time?

Post Thanks / Like

what aperture were you using most of the time?
    I'm new to the M8 world (less than two months), so I'm still finding my way. I shot everything aperture priority and almost everything at ISO 160. Most were wide open at f/3.8, but when there was plenty of light, I stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 to increase the DOF. I've been using a DP1 (28mm and f/4.0) for the last 12 months, and that's similar to how I was shooting with that camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks! i'm even newer than you, so not to worry. and before your DP1, you had the Ricoh.... you and i followed similar paths -- only i threw up my hands in frustration with the Sigma and got an Epson

Post Thanks / Like

David...next time you are in Vegas venture out! Tons to see and do..

Cam..you were right. I love this 28 Cron...

M8, 28 at F2, ISO 1250

Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice portrait, Steve. I didn't realize ISO 1250 could work so well in B&W. I've been reluctant to go there. Any tips for processing at that high an ISO rating?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevem8 View Post
    David...next time you are in Vegas venture out! Tons to see and do..

M8, 28 at F2, ISO 1250

That really is nice, Steve. And especially so for 1250 ISO!!

Hey, what's not to like about that 28 Cron!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! David, I don't know?!? Whenever I shoot ISO 1250 in a restaurant I seem to get great results! Seriously. All I did was process the RAW in ACR using the defaults actually, no extra NR or anything. Then I converted to BW using Color Efex Pro (Not Silver Efex) - resized and that was it.

I usually do not have much of an issues with 1250 but I try to stay away from 2500. I took this same shot with the D-Lux 4 but have not looked at it yet.

Thx!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stevem8 View Post

M8, 28 at F2, ISO 1250
    i'm so glad you're enjoying it! i just wish i could see your image?

i'm in an absolute conundrum of what my next lens is going to be.... i'm still not happy with my handle on the M8 (i honestly never thought a camera could be so lovely and brutal -- all at the same time). i need to be more comfortable with it to really make an informed decision.

it's fascinating me, however, to see the basic draw of a particular lens as it goes from the R-D1 to the M8 to the M2.

my three favourite lenses, in this regard, have been the 21/3.4 Super Angulon, the Nocti, and the 75 Lux.... however, i finally pulled out my first purchased lens, a 50 Lux pre-asph (very early v.2) and was completely blown away with the way it rendered on the M8. sharp but gentle, with an ethereal quality that is so distinct.

i realise us M8 users are, sigh, becoming extinct here. luckily, there are a few hanging on and a few others like myself that are new and loving it.

i am thinking about starting separate Fun w/M8 at distinct focal lengths so people can easily see differences between lenses at lengths they're considering. for example:
    12-18mm
    21mm
    24/25mm
    35-40mm
    50mm
    75mm
    85/90mm
    105-135mm

is this too spread out? what are other peoples thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it's a very good idea to start separate threads for different lenses/perspectives. That way we could get a good idea of a lens we might be planning to buy.
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like

Three more from the NAB/Vegas trip. All with the 18mm.

The second one was shot at ISO 1250. Inspired by Steve's excellent portrait at 1250, I took a look at the images I shot at 640 and 1250. I converted a few with Silver Efex Pro, and this one came out OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey David, that 1250 shot looks good! Love your vegas shots with that 18!

Post Thanks / Like

Some new concert and event shots

Donated my time for a fundraiser yesterday and of course used my M8.

Motown Band The Voices...

50 Lux ASPH the light was good.

Peter Cetera (known mainly as the lead singer from the band Chicago in the 70s-80's)

50 Lux ASPH wide open - the light was HORRIBLE!! ISO 640

Ill have a blog post later with more images and the whole story behind the event and my experience shooting it. I can say this..it was not nearly as enjoyable as shooting the Seal show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regardless of whether you enjoyed it, those are some really excellent concert images. Getting people in good expressions is really hard, and that first one and the last one are superb. The others are also good!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stuart! I enjoyed most of the day, just had some issues at one point that I thought were ridiculous. I just put up a blog post about it on my site including more images and the story behind this now yearly event in Chicago. Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stuart! I enjoyed most of the day, just had some issues at one point that I thought were ridiculous. I just put up a blog post about it on my site including more images and the story behind this now yearly event in Chicago. Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Couple more...

ISO 1250

and some daytime shots at the event..

Post Thanks / Like

Found two more..

Two more I liked..50 Lux ASPH..

Post Thanks / Like

M8 2/28 @ 2
    Last edited by f 1,0; 26th May 2010 at 14:25.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

M8 2/28 @ 2
    Beautiful image... really beautiful. The light here is wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Beautiful image... really beautiful. The light here is wonderful.
    thanks Lloyd

Same room, same time
    Last edited by f 1,0; 26th May 2010 at 14:25.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Lloyd

Same room, same time
    Another stunner.

Post Thanks / Like

From today with the 28..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now for something entirely different! With the help of a friend, I've started work on a small tractor shed that will also house lots of the assorted equipment and gear I've accumulated to manage my little property.

This is not even in the same league as the other photos in this thread (superb photos, everyone!), but I thought it might be interesting to post a few snaps as the work progresses.

The shed will simply sit on a few granite slabs, recovered from an ancient cellar hole with the help of a winch. More to follow...

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One last image from Joshua Tree. I shot this looking almost directly into the sun with a 21mm lens on my M8.
    Last edited by Patrick Kolb; 4th December 2012 at 12:42.
    Patrick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kolb View Post
    One last image from Joshua Tree. I shot this looking almost directly into the sun with a 21mm lens on my M8.
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kolb View Post
    One last image from Joshua Tree...
    I like it. The odd shaped tree draws one into the photo and the big upright rock on the left looks kinda like a penguin.

Mark