The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Very cool Kaliedescope!

I'm in New York State visiting my brother who has been working for several years on restoring a 1950 John Deere A tractor. Today was the roll out day and I was there for the first start. He recovered the rusting hulk from a field where it had been sitting for over 30 years. I think he did a wonderful job making the tractor look as if it had just rolled off the assembly line. It started and ran on the first try. Kudos to my bro!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

I got out to shoot with Jack, Jim, and Chris this week. These are a few shots from an industrial boat dock, while waiting to catch our boat to Alcatraz.

The industrial dock was full of old coils of rope and cable, and piles of chains, bricks, etc. All Beautifully aged and oxidized by the sea.

Most of these are with the 50 Pre Lux.

Peter Klein

Here's a few from my recent forays.

1. Boo! (and happy Halloween).
2, 3, 4. Fall colors and reflections, near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington
5. Some musician friends in performance, playing the Ravel Piano Trio.

Enjoy!
--Peter

Last edited:

jonoslack

Lovely Peter
I like the last two especially.

Much more humdrum from me:

view from the bed

friends round for supper

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

From the "Sutro Baths" on the San Francisco coastline. The photographer in the last image is our very own Jim Collum.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Jono - the Sutro Baths were once a large "bath house" right on the coast in San Francisco. A big storm destroyed the complex - I think it was around 1920s, but not sure. Now what you see are the remains.

EDIT: See Bill's description below, which is far more accurate.

Last edited:

Jono - the Sutro Baths were once a large "bath house" right on the coast in San Francisco. A big storm destroyed the complex - I think it was around 1920s, but not sure. Now what you see are the remains.
Mike, those are the most incredible photos of the baths I've seen.

Jono, I got curious about the baths when Jack posted some pictures a few weeks back, all the information is online if you care to dig in. Long story short, they were the largest indoor swimming pools in the world, built in the very late 1800's and opened to the public in 1896. They were fed by tides and some very powerful turbine pumps. The baths were never profitable as the operation costs were very high, and as a result changed hands several times. In 1966 the family that owned them torched the place to collect insurance money and paid a couple San Francisco city personnel a heft sum to look the other way and declare it an accident.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Bill. Yes, very interesting history on the Sutro Baths - thanks for looking it up.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

We shot the Sutro Baths in the morning, and Alcatraz in the evening. In the middle of the day, in poor light (high, bright sun), we walked through some industrial areas of the city. Here's a few quickly shot images of that area.

jonoslack

More Great shots Mike.
I'd LOVE to go there.
Here it's been raining all day, but the sun just peeped out for a few minutes last thing:

HansAlbert

[/QUOTE]

Jono,
with your high skies, your stand-alone trees and your clouds you make the soul of your landscape sing its song.

Your clouds are hermetic, they do Hermes' task, communicating heaven's light to your landscape in a translation called reflection at ever new ambiguous airy damp shapes.

Your trees are like mythical creatures, individuals, representing vegetative grandeur of the land, and they seem to be in dialogue with heaven, linked by rolling by clouds.

Archaic and permanent in all changes of the year the song is filling the air.

jonoslack

Thank you Hans
I'm not sure that the picture deserves the eloquence, but you certainly have nailed the intent!

Thanks again