Site Sponsors
Page 84 of 201 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 134 184 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,200 of 10029

Thread: The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

  1. #4151
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by f 1,0 View Post
    M8 2,8/135 @ 2,8
    Beauty.

    I love the look of the 135... lovely bokeh. I no longer have one, and I need to remedy that deficiency.

  2. #4152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Lloyd

    Lots of us wish we had not made a decision to let the 135 go. I had a mint beauty and sold it, along with a bunch of other stuff, to fund the S2. Now with the M9 at hand that decision appears very short sighted

    Woody

  3. #4153
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Lloyd

    Lots of us wish we had not made a decision to let the 135 go. I had a mint beauty and sold it, along with a bunch of other stuff, to fund the S2. Now with the M9 at hand that decision appears very short sighted

    Woody
    "Short sighted" When you look that term up, you'll find my picture.

  4. #4154
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    I came across this peculiar-shaped ship last month. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of vessel it is?
    M8, Apo-Summicron 90 ASPH.
    Osman
    That's a specially-built, semi-submersible, heavy-lift vessel that is most often used to transport the cranes used in container ports. It looks like this one has three full-sized cranes on it, just ahead of the superstructure.

    When the Port of Oakland took delivery of new cranes, the ship actually had its main deck awash to be able to clear the Golden Gate Bridge. It was quite a sight, according to friends of mine who saw it.

  5. #4155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reunion Island, Indian Ocean
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    With the Cron 28 asph. :







    Have a nice day !
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

  6. #4156
    Subscriber Member mwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    74

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Nice shots, great color and clarity. The 28 really sings on this camera.

    Chemical distillation column....my line of work.
    Mike

    website under construction

  7. #4157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reunion Island, Indian Ocean
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Exactly in fact this one is an old Rhum distillation column ; the room before is the modern one in use (photos are forbidden because of alcohol vapors), what a smell!!!

    I tried the 28 as Jono suggested it, I removed the huge lens hood, to use it, and then I used this suddenly tiny lens. The results are really sharp and crisp. A pleasure, I did not experienced flare at this moment in this configuration.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

  8. #4158
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by steflaurent974 View Post
    Exactly in fact this one is an old Rhum distillation column ; the room before is the modern one in use (photos are forbidden because of alcohol vapors), what a smell!!!

    I tried the 28 as Jono suggested it, I removed the huge lens hood, to use it, and then I used this suddenly tiny lens. The results are really sharp and crisp. A pleasure, I did not experienced flare at this moment in this configuration.
    Great shots
    I want that car! (I also like the b&w conversion)

    Wonderful revelation with the 28 'cron isn't it? - take off the monster's plastic coat to reveal a petite beauty!

    If there is obviously a sun situation, a strategically placed hand usually does a better job than the lens hood anyway (and it doesn't get in the way of the viewfinder) . . . . careful of that front element though

    Just this guy you know

  9. #4159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reunion Island, Indian Ocean
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Jono : this the Citroen DS wich was the official car of the french autorities, Général De Gaulle used it. The B&W conversion was done on an exported jpeg (color) from LR to Photoshop. Then a red filtering and a massive reductionof luminance int he blue was applied, also a little dodging to reveal the deep blacks near the floor.
    thanks
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

  10. #4160
    Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    236

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    75 Cron wide open, ISO 1250

    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

  11. #4161
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    75 Cron wide open, ISO 1250

    Beautiful portrait. Your daughter is growing up... lovely girl. You've always had a way with that 75. Do you find it easier to focus on the M9 than on the M8. Might have been my imagination, but I thought I did.

  12. #4162
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Thanks Cindy.

    Here's one with the M8 and 35lux.

    Kurt

  13. #4163
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Thanks Cindy.

    Here's one with the M8 and 35lux.

    Kurt
    Very nice, Kurt. I really like the b/w conversion here.

  14. #4164
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Thanks Lloyd ... the 35lux is my favorite on the M8. I wonder how it'll feel on the M9.

  15. #4165
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Thanks Lloyd ... the 35lux is my favorite on the M8. I wonder how it'll feel on the M9.
    I'm sure there will be an adjustment. When I shot the M9, I noticed right away that my 50 "felt" like my 35s did on my M8. I do think you'll really like shooting the 35 lux wide open on the M9. Especially in close.

  16. #4166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    The 35 lux is my favorite normal lens on film -- I think you will find that it performs beautifully on full frame. It allows for a moderately wide angle of view with good separation from the background. It is a great general purpose lens. I will admit, however, that on the M8 I preferred using the 28mm and 50mm, and on film the 35mm and 75mm....

    P.S. Very cool shot!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  17. #4167
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Thanks Lloyd and Stuart. So far, I'm preparing a 35lux and 75lux kit and will adjust by taking an extra step back and forward to re-orient myself to full-frame.

    Kurt

  18. #4168
    Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    236

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Thanks Lloyd. It's getting harder and harder to get these natural candid moments, as she's reaching the age now where she is very concious of the camera being pointed at her.

    I do find the 75 cron easier to focus and frame on the M9. I also just got a 90 APO cron, so will be getting a feel for the 75 vs 90 over the next couple of weeks. Eventually, I'll likely need to settle on one of them, and sell the other.
    Last edited by Mike Hatam; 25th September 2009 at 12:53.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

  19. #4169
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Mike I found the 90mm about as needed as you can get. I used it a ton during my testing and real shooting. With the summarit I seriously had about a 98 percent keeper rate on focus. That is damn good for a RF system and a long lens. If I did by a M9 i would buy the Cron for the speed but those that do not need it or want something smaller the 90mm summarit rocks on the m9 as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  20. #4170
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Do you find it easier to focus on the M9 than on the M8. Might have been my imagination, but I thought I did.
    Lloyd, Mike, that impression is being posted elsewhere. It doesn't seem logical to me as the viewfinder image and focus patch is unchanged. Nevertheless, there appears to be a change and I'm wondering what it can be.

    Might be better positioning of the sensor, or a minor adjustment to the rangefinder, dunno

    Any ideas ?

  21. #4171
    Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    236

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    I haven't used the M8 for about four months, so the 75 cron focusing thing is just a perception/memory thing for me. I don't have any analysis or side-by-side comparison to draw on to know if the M9 is really easier to focus or not.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

  22. #4172
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    I use me M8 often, and while I don't have a theory as to why, I can say that I seemed to get a higher percentage of keepers with the M9 and the longer glass. That was especially true of the 75 Lux, which can be notoriously hard to focus wide open. Maybe it's that the "shorter" lens on the FF just puts your eye "closer" to the subject, allowing you better vision of what you're focusing on at the the time.

  23. #4173
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    M8 & 90mm Elmarit.

  24. #4174
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    M8 & 90mm Elmarit.
    That is a powerful image. And that b/w conversion is without peer.


    Would you be willing to share more about the image, and maybe also how you did the conversion? Thanks in advance.

  25. #4175
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    M8 & 90mm Elmarit.
    I saw this image posted somewhere else I believe. I believe the subject was a Cuban boxer that was shot in the eye. I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere around the time the M9 was offficially unveiled a few weeks ago.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  26. #4176
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I saw this image posted somewhere else I believe. I believe the subject was a Cuban boxer that was shot in the eye. I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere around the time the M9 was offficially unveiled a few weeks ago.
    I was thinking I'd seen it in LFI or something. Amazing image all the same.

  27. #4177
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    That's possible. I went over there for a bit after the M9 was released to check the temperature of the announcement.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  28. #4178
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    That's possible. I went over there for a bit after the M9 was released to check the temperature of the announcement.
    Not LUF (Leica User's Forum), which I suppose is possible, I meant LFI (Leica Fotografie International... the magazine, which has an online version. Here's the LINK.

  29. #4179
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Kurt, I like all of the lines and textures. I didn't even notice the second sheep at first. My eye was so drawn to the prominent sheep. Is that the Lux 35 ASPH? I had the non-ASPH on my M8 at one point. I would love to give the ASPH a try, but I've heard so much about focus shift that I've been scared off.

    Rolo, That is a very powerful image.

  30. #4180
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Not LUF (Leica User's Forum), which I suppose is possible, I meant LFI (Leica Fotografie International... the magazine, which has an online version. Here's the LINK.
    Oh okay... Gotcha.

    Well I've never been there but I may have seen it on LUF or somewhere else.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  31. #4181
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Hate to burden your sensibilities with shots from the clearly inferior, wholly pedestrian, and now totally outdated M8, but since it's what's at hand, here are a few shots from a walk before work this am. All with my 1964 50 Summicron. All except the last shot were wide open. That one was at f5.6.









    Lloyd, REALLY like these ! But makes me sad that I can't use the only old lens I still have, my Leica 50mm cron DR, on the M8.
    Glenn

  32. #4182
    Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    236

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Spent the week in Charlotte on business, and had the M9 with me. Not much chance to shoot (between long work hours, and bad weather), but I did get out for a couple of walks around town.

    Here are a few snaps I took around downtown Charlotte.

    Most of these are with the 28 cron, either wide open or f5.6. A couple are with the ZM 21.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

  33. #4183
    Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    236

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    A few more...
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

  34. #4184
    Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    236

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Charlotte by night, in black and white...

    All with the 28 cron, except for #2 which was with the 50 lux.
    Last edited by Mike Hatam; 25th September 2009 at 22:29.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

  35. #4185
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    This question is really off topic, but is there a setting for viewing the enlarged images that open in a new window on a gray or black background ? I'm finding the white background extremely distracting to my old eyes.
    TIA,
    Glenn

  36. #4186
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    I did very well with the M9 and that was about 1800 images before I shipped it off. I was nailing at a very very higher percentage rate with everything except the 135mm which was about 75 or 80 percent focus keepers. It's a tough lens that just takes some practice. Now i have not picked up the M8 in a long time on a serious level but the M9 did feel easier to focus, but that is a gut feeling.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  37. #4187
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
    This question is really off topic, but is there a setting for viewing the enlarged images that open in a new window on a gray or black background ? I'm finding the white background extremely distracting to my old eyes.
    TIA,
    Glenn
    Click the thumbnails they open on a white background. It also depends how folks are loading images either from the gallery or attachments and also linking from there servers.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  38. #4188
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Charlotte by night, in black and white...

    I think these were all with the 28 cron, wide open for most of them.
    Fantastic!

  39. #4189
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Click the thumbnails they open on a white background. It also depends how folks are loading images either from the gallery or attachments and also linking from there servers.
    Hi Guy,
    Yes, it's the "open on a white background" that I would like to change to a gray or black background if there is some setting to do that. Or I can continue to block the white glare with one hand I'm probably the only one this bothers as I'm developing a glare problem in one of my eyes.
    Last edited by GlennB; 25th September 2009 at 22:12.

  40. #4190
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Hate to burden your sensibilities with shots from the clearly inferior, wholly pedestrian, and now totally outdated M8, but since it's what's at hand, here are a few shots from a walk before work this am. All with my 1964 50 Summicron. All except the last shot were wide open. That one was at f5.6.









    GORGEOUS! All of them!
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

  41. #4191
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Spent the week in Charlotte on business, and had the M9 with me. Not much chance to shoot (between long work hours, and bad weather), but I did get out for a couple of walks around town.

    Here are a few snaps I took around downtown Charlotte.

    Most of these are with the 28 cron, either wide open or f5.6. A couple are with the ZM 21.
    Really nice, Mike!
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

  42. #4192
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I saw this image posted somewhere else I believe. I believe the subject was a Cuban boxer that was shot in the eye. I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere around the time the M9 was offficially unveiled a few weeks ago.
    Hi, nearly right ..... it was an English boxer, shot in the eye whilst doing some alternative work - body guarding, or door management etc. He now spends his time campaigning against the use of violence in computer games.

    Leica have opened a new gallery on their web site and chose this shot for their opening image, see:

    http://www.m.leica-camera.com/gallery_en.html

    Details are:
    Location Piccadilly Circus, London
    Camera M8
    Lens 90mm Elmarit
    160 ISO
    f4.0
    1/250s
    Auto Exposure mode

    A number of my images have been featured in an article on my work in the latest LFI magazine. Haven't seen it myself yet, so not sure if it looks good, or not. Pity it clashes with the first report on the M9. Takes away the shine, but makes it immortal. Ha. :-)

    Thanks to all for your comments.

    Gary

  43. #4193
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Okay I got the country of origin wrong. Sorry about that. I knew I read about the guy getting shot in the eye for sure though.

    Great shot nonetheless.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  44. #4194
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    Hi, nearly right ..... it was an English boxer, shot in the eye whilst doing some alternative work - body guarding, or door management etc. He now spends his time campaigning against the use of violence in computer games.

    Leica have opened a new gallery on their web site and chose this shot for their opening image, see:

    http://www.m.leica-camera.com/gallery_en.html

    Details are:
    Location Piccadilly Circus, London
    Camera M8
    Lens 90mm Elmarit
    160 ISO
    f4.0
    1/250s
    Auto Exposure mode

    A number of my images have been featured in an article on my work in the latest LFI magazine. Haven't seen it myself yet, so not sure if it looks good, or not. Pity it clashes with the first report on the M9. Takes away the shine, but makes it immortal. Ha. :-)

    Thanks to all for your comments.

    Gary
    Hi Gary, I was sure it was LFI somewhere. Glad my old memory is still working. Wonderful work. I'd still be very interested in your b/w conversion process, if you're willing to share. Really great stuff.

  45. #4195
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Steve, GlennB. Thanks much guys.

  46. #4196
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Charlotte by night, in black and white...

    All with the 28 cron, except for #2 which was with the 50 lux.
    Great stuff all around, Mike.

  47. #4197
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Nice Mike starting to make me regret not leaving for Brazil with the M9 test kit. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  48. #4198
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
    Hi Guy,
    Yes, it's the "open on a white background" that I would like to change to a gray or black background if there is some setting to do that. Or I can continue to block the white glare with one hand I'm probably the only one this bothers as I'm developing a glare problem in one of my eyes.
    Glenn -- this is something you can fix with CSS (cascading style sheets). Depending on your browser, you can tell it to load pages with your own background preference. There are some utilities out there to do this if you look around. Here is one option for Firefox that came up in a quick search (please note, I have not tried it): http://dyehardz.blogspot.com/2008/07...n-firefox.html

    P.S. Lovely images everyone! I am really looking forward to joining you guys on the M9 band wagon...just need to sell enough stuff to make it economical for me...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  49. #4199
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I'd still be very interested in your b/w conversion process, if you're willing to share. Really great stuff.
    Hi Lloyd, rather than give you a copy of the Action I made 8 years ago, I'll share how I did it.

    I took three of my toned B&W prints that I especially liked and scanned them in. Converted a duplicate of each and turned to monochrome in PShop and then duotone/tritone/quadtone and modified to match the starting print.

    Then, modified each of the tones until I had just one that did the job on all three images. Then made it into an Action that I've used ever since. Today, I'd do it with the PS mono converter, I suspect. I've got Silver EfexPro, but I don't need it with this Action.

    The change to digital capture caused me to lift brightness and reduce saturation occasionally, but the Action remains unchanged. It works well on M9 images too, looking at the few I've tried.

    I've been offered payment for the Action many times, but it's so easy to do and only took about 20 minutes, so I've declined. It's not precious, but IMO it's important to create one that suits you and stick with it as eventually it defines 'your look'.

    IMO, the problem with using: Alien Skin, Silver Efex, Vuescan ..... PlugIns etc, is that the people who rave about them wander throughout the range and never settle for their own 'look' and if they were just to create a couple of simple PS Actions, they would save their cash and improve the output. The only plug-ins I've ever bought were Jeff Ascough's and they sit there unused as once you can make an Action what else do you need ?

    This is not something I'm trying to change you on, or anyone else, just explaining my view on it.

    Hope that's of interest.

    Here's a copy of the colour version before conversion using the Action.

    Gary
    Last edited by Rolo; 26th September 2009 at 07:09.

  50. #4200
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    Hi Lloyd, rather than give you a copy of the Action I made 8 years ago, I'll share how I did it.

    I took three of my toned B&W prints that I especially liked and scanned them in. Converted a duplicate of each and turned to monochrome in PShop and then duotone/tritone/quadtone and modified to match the starting print.

    Then, modified each of the tones until I had just one that did the job on all three images. Then made it into an Action that I've used ever since. Today, I'd do it with the PS mono converter, I suspect. I've got Silver EfexPro, but I don't need it with this Action.

    The change to digital capture caused me to lift brightness and reduce saturation occasionally, but the Action remains unchanged. It works well on M9 images too, looking at the few I've tried.

    I've been offered payment for the Action many times, but it's so easy to do and only took about 20 minutes, so I've declined. It's not precious, but IMO it's important to create one that suits you and stick with it as eventually it defines 'your look'.

    IMO, the problem with using: Alien Skin, Silver Efex, Vuescan ..... PlugIns etc, is that the people who rave about them wander throughout the range and never settle for their own 'look' and if they were just to create a couple of simple PS Actions, they would save their cash and improve the output. The only plug-ins I've ever bought were Jeff Ascough's and they sit there unused as once you can make an Action what else do you need ?

    This is not something I'm trying to change you on, or anyone else, just explaining my view on it.

    Hope that's of interest.

    Here's a copy of the colour version before conversion using the Action.

    Gary
    Thank you Gary. I appreciate your explanation, and I'd try it, but must confess that most of it is Greek to me. I'll have to give it a run, but truthfully, I don't have that many silver images I'm really taken with to try and match.

    BTW, that image of yours is simply stunning in colour as well. I visited your website, and it's full of treasures. How much of your work is done the the M8? And, I hope you share more with us here.

    Thanks again.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •