Images

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Mike:

All the Alcatraz shots are fabulous!! Bring back memories? LOL
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mike Hatam;143790]A few more from Alcatraz...

White Balance Nightmare - outside the Power Building (WATE @ 21mm):

Mike,
    you see white balance nightmare, I see beautiful colors !

VERY nice images from "the Rock" !

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Heaven's above!
    All taken this afternoon with the WATE.

Jono,

PLEASE STOP with the WATE images (you too Mike) !!!
    I'm saving my pennies for a M9 (on a list, like almost everyone else ).
    I just CAN'T start lusting after another expensive lens!!!

Glenn
    (new owner of a used 35 Lux asph )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glen, Graham
    Apologies for being so unfeeling and difficult.
    I sympathise, I really do (I'm on a list too!)

There are a few WATE's around secondhand - I think some people felt that it was unnecessary on the M9, before realising how good it is (Reynolds was saved from a terrible mistake).

Maybe now is the time to find one.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Mike Hatam;144067]
    WATE @ 21mm (cropped)

Mike, those alcatraz shots are too good and I believe you about the wate.

nei1

So the wate is special in more ways than just being a 3 in 1,does it add something more to the image than any of the 3 primes ?or is it that it doesnt take any thing away from the primes;...it is their equal,and so nicer to carry and just as good from whatever f-stop it starts at...........Or,is it better?

p.s.Jono its one thing to spend your hard earned cash on a M9 but dont you think hiring fighter pilots just to impress here is a little extravagant!?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Neil
    Love the new avatar . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    So the wate is special in more ways than just being a 3 in 1,does it add something more to the image than any of the 3 primes ?or is it that it doesnt take any thing away from the primes;...it is their equal,and so nicer to carry and just as good from whatever f-stop it starts at...........Or,is it better?
    Well, there aren't too many 16mm primes around!. General concensus is that the 18mm super-elmarit has more contrast and possibly slightly better distortion. Still, the WATE is great on the M9 (it starts at f4 - if you want to shoot wide angle wide open then obviously it's not for you.

p.s.Jono its one thing to spend your hard earned cash on a M9 but dont you think hiring fighter pilots just to impress here is a little extravagant!?
    You don't have to pay them - just give 'em a call and say you'd like them to fly over the local church at 600mph .

They're there in a flash in their sexy machines (I just put that in to give Guy a thrill!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    First of all, sorry for the late response to those who have commented (much appreciated!) on my recent posts; I've been traveling lately.

Lloyd, cindy, Outmay, gero, Stuart: excellent images that make me want to pick up my M8 and go out and photograph.

Here are two modest attempt at humorous photography. A difficult subject, already the ancient Greeks realized that it is much easier to make people cry than laugh...
    Arne

I love the shot of the dog and the puddle. Reminds me so much of Henri Cartier Bressons shot of the man jumping the puddle. Good chuckle to start my day

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    argh, i forgot why i said this. i guess my train of thoughts went into the black hole while typing
    HI Daniel
    I was a little confused too!
    I hope it was good?

Just this guy you know

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My thoughts on the WATE...

It is not a better performer than the Leica 18, Zeiss 18, Leica 21, or Zeiss 21 lenses at equivalent focal lengths, and the WATE is a slower lens (at 21mm).

The great benefit of the WATE for me is that it's a 3-in-1 lens that is very good when stopped down to f5.6 or f8. There is a big difference between 16mm and 21mm (about 30% difference in focal length - the equivalent difference between 75mm and 100mm).

My 28 cron is my standard walk-around wide-angle, but I need something wider, especially for architecture. I was using a ZM 21 Biogon as my wide lens, but sometimes I needed something even wider than that. I like the Zeiss 18/4, but it's too wide at times. And then there are times when I want "really wide". I used to use the CV 15 (even the CV 12 on the M8), but those lenses are not well suited for the M9 (cyan shift).

So do I carry two lenses (18 and 21), and give up the super-wide 15-16mm focal length? Space in my bag is at a premium, since I travel a lot. So it makes a big difference to me to be able to eliminate redundant lenses.

So the WATE becomes the best solution. 16-18-21, all in one lens. Remove the hood (it vignettes on an M9), and replace it with the 67mm filter adapter (to protect the front element), and the lens is also fairly compact. It's smaller than the Zeiss 18/4.

EDIT: as pointed out in follow-on posts below, the hood does NOT vignette on the M9 if the Millich filter adapter is removed.

I use my M9 for landscape and architecture shooting, often tripod mounted (all my Alcatraz shots above are tripod mounted). In those situations, I'm generally working in low light, stopped down to f8 (for depth of field), and using long exposures. For that type of situation, the WATE is ideal. I can click through the various focal lengths to find one that's just right, stop down to f8, and get fantastic images.

If you are only a "walk-around" shooter, and would never use a tripod, the WATE might be too slow for you. In that case, the ZM 21 Biogon, or M 21 Elmarit are probably the best choices for you (both are very good at f2.8). If you don't mind a very large lens, and have the cash, then an M 21 Summilux might be the choice (too large and expensive for me, and doesn't match my shooting style).

For me, the combination of the 28 cron for hand-held walk-around shooting, with the WATE for tripod mounted wide-angle work, is a perfect combination.
    Last edited by Mike Hatam; 14th October 2009 at 06:40.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice report Mike. I owned the WATE for a time being and it is a very handy lens and covers a nice range.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mike: Your Alcatraz shots came out great!

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    My thoughts on the WATE...
    Excellent stuff Mike - but a couple of points

So the WATE becomes the best solution. 16-18-21, all in one lens. Remove the hood (it vignettes on an M9),
    I haven't found that - as long as you remove the the Millich IR holder!
    I have looked as well.

If you are only a "walk-around" shooter, and would never use a tripod, the WATE might be too slow for you.
    I find it wonderful for casual landscape and travel photography - you can hand hold the WATE down to silly speeds on the M9, and anyway, for that kind of work you're likely to want to use smaller apertures than F4.
    The benefit of having those three focal lengths in one lens is wonderful, and the downsides are very small.

The church and sky pictures early in this thread were all taken hand held just before dusk - they're as sharp as a new pin!

For me, the combination of the 28 cron for hand-held walk-around shooting, with the WATE for tripod mounted wide-angle work, is a perfect combination.
    Well, I agree about the 'cron, but there's no need to put the WATE on a tripod (especially with the wonderful spirit level in the frankenfinder).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Several more with the Nokton and the M9.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Kurt, this is some really good stuff. That lens on the M9 = a marriage made in heaven. (At least in your capable hands.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent stuff Mike - but a couple of points

I haven't found that - as long as you remove the the Millich IR holder!
    I have looked as well.

I find it wonderful for casual landscape and travel photography - you can hand hold the WATE down to silly speeds on the M9, and anyway, for that kind of work you're likely to want to use smaller apertures than F4.
    The benefit of having those three focal lengths in one lens is wonderful, and the downsides are very small.

The church and sky pictures early in this thread were all taken hand held just before dusk - they're as sharp as a new pin!

Well, I agree about the 'cron, but there's no need to put the WATE on a tripod (especially with the wonderful spirit level in the frankenfinder).
    Jono - thanks for these clarifications.

Good news on the hood. Mine has the Milich adapter (it came that way with the lens I bought - used), so I wasn't aware that I could decouple the adapter and use the hood by itself. I'll give that a try - that would be a good solution.

I agree that the WATE is very usable hand-held, and have used it that way myself as well. I generally set it at f5.6 when hand-held, and f8 when on the tripod.

But for street shooters who like to shoot at f2.8 or faster, that's where the other lenses make more sense.

I don't know about you, but I personally have stopped using the Frankenfinder. I just shoot, check the LCD, and if necessary, shoot again with a slightly different composition.

When tripod mounted, the FrankenFinder is totally unnecessary, as it's easy to make very controlled adjustments to the composition, and check them periodically with test shots.

Overall, the WATE is a terrific lens. I've seen some selling for around $3,400 used (not bad when compared to the prices of a combination of 21 Elmarit + M 18).

I suspect the prices will go up, as people discover what a great lens this is on the M9.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Nice light Kurt. I really like the 3rd shot (tree) - that shallow DOF is very pleasing.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - thanks for these clarifications.

Good news on the hood. Mine has the Milich adapter (it came that way with the lens I bought - used), so I wasn't aware that I could decouple the adapter and use the hood by itself. I'll give that a try - that would be a good solution.
    No sweat, you can simply unscrew it, then unscrew the Milich adaptor and screw the hood back on (30 seconds).

I don't know about you, but I personally have stopped using the Frankenfinder. I just shoot, check the LCD, and if necessary, shoot again with a slightly different composition.
    I love it - it's soooo accurate (the framelines), and it's great for framing. If there is any chance of using the WATE when I go out, I simply add the frankender and leave it on the camera.
    Truth is, that it might be ugly, but it's no higher than most other viewfinders, and therefore it doesn't really take up any more space.

Overall, the WATE is a terrific lens. I've seen some selling for around $3,400 used (not bad when compared to the prices of a combination of 21 Elmarit + M 18).

I suspect the prices will go up, as people discover what a great lens this is on the M9.

Mike
    I quite agree about prices - the fact of not having to fiddle about with menus suddenly makes it really nice to use.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stormy Weather:

28 'cron

90 elmarit

50 'lux

28 'cron

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow - great skies Jono. I wish we had more skies like that here in California.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Spent last week in Japan at the CEATEC tradeshow. Unfortunately, it rained almost every day we were there. Here are a few images from the show floor.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow - great skies Jono. I wish we had more skies like that here in California.
    Hah! - you should be careful about what you're asking for . . . Rain, cold, wind, winter euch!

I know you get a bit of fog and drizzle now and then . . . How about a swap for a year?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two from a shopping area in Chiba-City.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Post Thanks / Like

A few from the surreal Akihabara area in Tokyo. Train service was suspended earlier that day because of a typhoon.

Last edited by DavidE; 12th October 2009 at 12:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hah! - you should be careful about what you're asking for . . . Rain, cold, wind, winter euch!
    I'll just take the skies... you can keep the rest

I know you get a bit of fog and drizzle now and then . . . How about a swap for a year?
    Hmmm... let me think it over... NOPE!
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

From the hotel during one of the many rainy days.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Spent last week in Japan at the CEATEC tradeshow. Unfortunately, it rained almost every day we were there. Here are a few images from the show floor.

All good, David. I particularly like this one. The second group are nice as well, were these with the 18?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    All good, David. I particularly like this one. The second group are nice as well, were these with the 18?
    Yes, the two from the shopping area in Chiba-City were shot with the 18. When there's enough light, it's my preferred lens.

Here are some more from that same day. I know all the exterior shots were with the 18mm. I think all the interior shots were, as well.

Last edited by DavidE; 12th October 2009 at 14:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys noted the WATE with its hood on vignettes on the M9. I have just put a plain UV filter in my Milich adapter to protect the lens. What's your experience with the adapter and no hood? Does the adapter alone vignette? Or, do I have to just use the WATE bare, so to speak?
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stormy Weather:
    Wow. Amazing skies, beautifully captured.

Post Thanks / Like

Stormy Weather:
    Incredible skies, Jono -- you must have a better mix of pollution than we have in the U.S.

Good thing you had a camera at hand that was equal to the task, along with your keen eye for a photograph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
    Mike:

All the Alcatraz shots are fabulous!! Bring back memories? LOL
    LOL... yup, reminds me of my childhood, growing up on The Rock
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
    You guys noted the WATE with its hood on vignettes on the M9. I have just put a plain UV filter in my Milich adapter to protect the lens. What's your experience with the adapter and no hood? Does the adapter alone vignette? Or, do I have to just use the WATE bare, so to speak?
    Reynolds,

Jono pointed out to me that if you use only the hood (without the filter adapter), then it won't vignette on the M9.

I tried this myself, and confirmed it's true. Unscrew the adapter part, and put that away, only to be used with the M8. Then screw just the hood section on to the M9, and you are set.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Baltimore's Inner Harbor. While I wait for an M9; I'm re-visiting my M8 images and PP'g some. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. M8; 21mm f/2.8; 1/250s; ISO 160

2. M8; 21mm f/2.8; 1/180s; ISO 160

3. M8; 21mm f/2.8; 1/500s; ISO 160

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Last edited by m_driscoll; 12th October 2009 at 21:45.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Baltimore's Inner Harbor. While I wait for an M9; I'm re-visiting my M8 images and PP'g some. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. M8; 21mm f/2.8; 1/250s; ISO 160

2. M8; 21mm f/2.8; 1/180s; ISO 160

3. M8; 21mm f/2.8; 1/500s; ISO 160

Your images are not visible to me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Are they visible now?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they visible now?
    No. You may need to attach them again to a new reply. I know anytime I make a change to a gallery from which I'm referencing an image, it changes or deletes it here on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

They are showing up fine for me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try posting again. I think I had them "locked" in Zenfolio. Thanks for letting me know. Hope these are visible. Cheers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try posting again. I think I had them "locked" in Zenfolio. Thanks for letting me know. Hope these are visible. Cheers.

Weird. I'm not seeing them still. But Arjuna says they're visible.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Little X-Files here! I reposted with new Zenfolio url's. Anybody else see, or not see them? Sorry about the screw up here. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Four times each now!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Four times each now!
    OK, I'll stop. Cheers.

Maybe the Moderator can delete the last three sets, if the first is now visible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hitched a ride with a mushrooms expert and a photographer, who was equipped with professional equipment (Canon) to produce shots for the expert's next book on, well, mushrooms.
    Handheld M8 with 28, 50 and 75mm crons and complete ignorance on the subject yielded unsharp shots as expected, but the colors were pleasant.
    Ate none of it, of course
    Osman

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Incredible skies, Jono -- you must have a better mix of pollution than we have in the U.S.

Good thing you had a camera at hand that was equal to the task, along with your keen eye for a photograph.
    Hi David
    Thank you!
    No pollution - at least, I'm pretty sure there's no pollution, we're very rural, 25 miles from the nearest (small) city. Simply the sun poking under some rather nasty cloud cover just before setting. I guess there was just a little Vivezza pollution though

As for having the camera - it's always there! I actually saw the possibility, and ran round from our house and up a little lane to get a better view (just like I'd done the night before when it didn't happen!)

Lloyd - thanks for the kind words.

Reynolds - Hi there - as Mike says, there's no vignetting with the WATE on the M9 as long as you remove the Milich bit of the adaptor first. (worth reiterating in case someone else gets the wrong idea)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David
    Thank you!
    No pollution - at least, I'm pretty sure there's no pollution, we're very rural, 25 miles from the nearest (small) city. Simply the sun poking under some rather nasty cloud cover just before setting. I guess there was just a little Vivezza pollution though

As for having the camera - it's always there! I actually saw the possibility, and ran round from our house and up a little lane to get a better view (just like I'd done the night before when it didn't happen!)

Lloyd - thanks for the kind words.

Reynolds - Hi there - as Mike says, there's no vignetting with the WATE on the M9 as long as you remove the Milich bit of the adaptor first. (worth reiterating in case someone else gets the wrong idea)
    Thanks so much, guys! I just ordered a new adapter from John...have to return it sadly. So, beyond the hood, there really is no way of protecting the lens, huh?
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Hitched a ride with a mushrooms expert and a photographer, who was equipped with professional equipment (Canon) to produce shots for the expert's next book on, well, mushrooms.
    Handheld M8 with 28, 50 and 75mm crons and complete ignorance on the subject yielded unsharp shots as expected, but the colors were pleasant.
    Ate none of it, of course
    Osman
    Very nice colors indeed, Osman. And an amazing variety.

Post Thanks / Like

More photos from Japan (my first time there).

The last image is the Nissan Advanced Technology Center. It's located in the Kanagawa prefecture at the base of a mountain range. I was able to test drive a hydrogen fuel cell car there. It was a great experience -- probably the best part of the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

From the flight back on Saturday. Shot with the 28 cron.