The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

My Photo partner. Queen's Garden Trail, Bryce Canyon

(Yes. It was COLD!)

Last edited:

etrigan63

Never catch my wife voluntarily standing in that much snow. That's why we live in South Florida.

Lloyd

Never catch my wife voluntarily standing in that much snow. That's why we live in South Florida.
LOL. My wife grew up in Oklahoma and Virginia... never was much for cold or snow. Now she's an avid xc skier and snowshoer. Loves the mountains and the snow... something she never thought would happen. :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Very punchy color Lloyd. But then I've just re-calibrated my monitor. My test image after calibration.

Lloyd

Very punchy color Lloyd. But then I've just re-calibrated my monitor. My test image after calibration.
Yeah. I think I might have overcooked the curves on the first two.:thumbup:

This is a gorgeous shot. Beautiful dog too.

jonoslack

Lloyd - I LOVE that last shot.
I thought the second batch were over-sharpened though (always tempting). What is an xc skier? Not, I suspect the sort of skier I am (maybe a cx skier).

Lloyd

Lloyd - I LOVE that last shot.
I thought the second batch were over-sharpened though (always tempting). What is an xc skier? Not, I suspect the sort of skier I am (maybe a cx skier).
Thank you... much appreciated. I completely agree about the over-sharpening. I tried to replace them with less sharpened versions, but couldn't figure out how to do it. (these were my first "attached" postings)

The person is actually my wife, as we were hiking down into Bryce Canyon.

Here's a color version of the last shot (slightly different crop):

jonoslack

Thank you... much appreciated. I completely agree about the over-sharpening. I tried to replace them with less sharpened versions, but couldn't figure out how to do it. (these were my first "attached" postings)

The person is actually my wife, as we were hiking down into Bryce Canyon.
I realised that it was your wife, it was the xc skier bit that I didn't understand . . . and I apologise, it was rude of me to be so blunt about over sharpening, I was only so bold because your pictures are so splendid usually.

I like the first version of this shot better I guess, but the colour one is also fine.

If you want to 'update' attached photos (and make me look even more unpleasant :) ) then you should be able to simply replace the originals wherever they are, and the images here will automatically update.

Lloyd

I realised that it was your wife, it was the xc skier bit that I didn't understand . . . and I apologise, it was rude of me to be so blunt about over sharpening, I was only so bold because your pictures are so splendid usually.

I like the first version of this shot better I guess, but the colour one is also fine.

If you want to 'update' attached photos (and make me look even more unpleasant :) ) then you should be able to simply replace the originals wherever they are, and the images here will automatically update.
Oops, sorry, I haven't had much sleep this past few days, and I'm not as quick as I might be (not that I'm that quick ever:)). XC skier = Nordic Skier, as opposed to Alpine or Downhill skier.

Thanks much for the help with the replacement. And your criticism was/is appropriate and well taken. I think this forum must apply some sort of sharpening algorithm to the images, because those don't look quite as sharpened on my computer as they appear on the forum. I'm rethinking my processing as a result.

jonoslack

Oops, sorry, I haven't had much sleep this past few days, and I'm not as quick as I might be (not that I'm that quick ever:)). XC skier = Nordic Skier, as opposed to Alpine or Downhill skier.
Ah - the hardwork stuff.
We're off skiing again in a couple of weeks, but our idea of fun is a lot of gentle downhill followed by a good lunch, and a lot of gentle downhill back to a good supper!
Thanks much for the help with the replacement. And your criticism was/is appropriate and well taken. I think this forum must apply some sort of sharpening algorithm to the images, because those don't look quite as sharpened on my computer as they appear on the forum. I'm rethinking my processing as a result.
Difficult to get it right (I don't even try these days, whatever Aperture outputs, that's what you get!).

Now it's time for bed:

While waiting for the kettle to boil:

28 'cron

there is time to take a quick snap of Emma's Amaryllis

75 'cron

Night Night!

Stuart Richardson

Great shots guys.
Lloyd -- that first black and white version is spectacular. Very well done!

Jono -- I think it is a credit to your photography that I want to visit your house! Everything has so much character, or better yet, everything you photograph is done with such character.

Lloyd

Ah - the hardwork stuff.
We're off skiing again in a couple of weeks, but our idea of fun is a lot of gentle downhill followed by a good lunch, and a lot of gentle downhill back to a good supper!

Difficult to get it right (I don't even try these days, whatever Aperture outputs, that's what you get!).

Now it's time for bed:

While waiting for the kettle to boil:

28 'cron

there is time to take a quick snap of Emma's Amaryllis

75 'cron

Night Night!
Beautiful, as ever. 'Night!

Lloyd

Back to the work grind.

Sitting in traffic

CV 35/1.2:

The endless walk

CV 15/4.5:

jonoslack

Jono -- I think it is a credit to your photography that I want to visit your house! Everything has so much character, or better yet, everything you photograph is done with such character.
HI Stuart
Thanks for that . . . I disagree though, it's a credit to Emma's various housekeeping skills (a great eye for beautiful things, and an absolute inability to throw anything away! - yesterday I had trouble persuading her to throw away a PS2 to serial mouse adaptor that she'd found!). Mind you, I take my life into my hands photographing anything with dust on it!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

That was an interesting shot. Nice :)

I like the bristlecone as well, colour as well as b&w, but I keep wondering how it would have looked from a slightly lower angle, so that the main part of the tree was over the horizon, particularly in the colour version.

Lloyd

That was an interesting shot. Nice :)

I like the bristlecone as well, colour as well as b&w, but I keep wondering how it would have looked from a slightly lower angle, so that the main part of the tree was over the horizon, particularly in the colour version.
Thanks Jorgen, your opinion is always of great interest, and much appreciated.

A couple of things dictated that I take the shot from the particular angle I used. First off, I wanted the moon in the frame, and a lower angle wouldn't have permitted that (I tried framing it under the tree branch, but it just didn't work. Second, the tree was well up the side of the hill from the trail, and in this National Park, one is not allowed more than a few feet off the trail, so I couldn't move in to get a better angle with the moon still in the shot. And third, I only had my 28 Cron, so the image I posted is almost a 100% crop of the original (see the full frame below). That I got the resolution I did is a credit to that wonderful lens, and the M8.

Last edited: