The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

JSK Rangefinder

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

So... if the wife drags you along when she's getting her hair done, I figure the least you can do is make her self-conscious about it. Right? :D

Nocti (F1 @ various apertures):
Very nice contrast Lloyd

is this straight basic B&W conversion or did you process it to look this way
I like it a lot!

Lloyd

Very nice contrast Lloyd

is this straight basic B&W conversion or did you process it to look this way
I like it a lot!
I just play around with it until I like it. I usually have a look I'm going for. I did these in Lightroom, and used a couple of presets, and then tweaked. I generally add a little local contrast curve as well.

Lloyd

Thanks!

What size do you set images to to have them come up larger on the screen?
I use "Export" in Lightroom, and set the image size to 875 x 875, so it's never larger than that, but may be less. (The forum will not allow images over 900 on a side anyway, and resizes images that are larger.) When I'm in CS4, I either use Image Processor to do the same thing, or run an action I wrote that does so.

JSK Rangefinder

I just play around with it until I like it. I usually have a look I'm going for. I did these in Lightroom, and used a couple of presets, and then tweaked. I generally add a little local contrast curve as well.

Good taste/eyes :thumbs:

Riccis

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

M9 + Noctilux ASPH love (@f/0.95)... Not the most exciting images but the best I could do on 2 hours of sleep.

Cheers,

helenhill

Oh Hello Riccis:
Just Wondering
have YOU changed your processing STYLE abit
or is it more the M9 look
Visually there is way more Step, Body,& Punch to the Photographs
I DO LIKE ...Quite Nice Indeed !

the photographs seem so POLISHED
can there be less Perfection so to speak ?

Best to YOU & CONGRATS ...:clap:

skimmel

I use "Export" in Lightroom, and set the image size to 875 x 875, so it's never larger than that, but may be less. (The forum will not allow images over 900 on a side anyway, and resizes images that are larger.) When I'm in CS4, I either use Image Processor to do the same thing, or run an action I wrote that does so.
Thanks Lloyd. Will try that next time.

Riccis

Helen - I am not doing any of my signature post-processing to the images (just straight RAW conversions and color balance) since I don't want anyone to pick up my images and start any "M9 IQ sucks" threads. They are indeed very sharp but at the same time very pleasing.

JSK - Thanks!

Lloyd

My M9 is still in Leica's hands, due to the lines on the sensor, but I played around with a couple of shots made at high ISO (2500), just to see how they look in b/w. I really like the grain here. (btw, these are crops to give a closer look at the grain.)

Both shot with the 75 lux wide open:

View attachment 22137

View attachment 22138

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Really nice, Riccis!

Lloyd, ISO 2500 on the M9 looks very, very useable.

iiiNelson

WOW. The airport shots look very three dimensional from where I'm sitting.

GlennB

My M9 is still in Leica's hands, due to the lines on the sensor, but I played around with a couple of shots made at high ISO (2500), just to see how they look in b/w. I really like the grain here. (btw, these are crops to give a closer look at the grain.)

Both shot with the 75 lux wide open:

View attachment 22137

View attachment 22138
Hey Lloyd,

Very nice tones and very little noise to my eye. If I could have gotten that quality back when I was pushing HP5 to 1600 I'd have been ecstatic !
Sorry to hear your M9 is not back in your hands yet.
GlennB

helenhill

Helen - I am not doing any of my signature post-processing to the images (just straight RAW conversions and color balance) since I don't want anyone to pick up my images and start any "M9 IQ sucks" threads. They are indeed very sharp but at the same time very pleasing.

LOL ...."M9 IQ sucks"...:eek:
Thanks RICCIS for your Reply.
I don't see how anyone can BASH these Photos...
they are ASTOUNDINGLY Beautiful

Lloyd : Love the Feel & Look of of your 1st shot

gero

Loyd, does look really nice. I never had a problem with the iso of the M8 & when I look at those pictures I think I will use more high iso. The trick in your shots is that the grane in the shadows work well with the texture of the skin.

Lloyd

Hey Lloyd,

Very nice tones and very little noise to my eye. If I could have gotten that quality back when I was pushing HP5 to 1600 I'd have been ecstatic !
Sorry to hear your M9 is not back in your hands yet.
GlennB
I know just what you mean, GlennB. I would have been as well.

As for the M9, I've pretty much decided to hold off for a while... see how things shake out. "Once bitten, twice shy", I guess. I'm still very happy with my M8, and as much as I love the changes (most of them) in the M9, I really see it more as an evolution of the M8... nothing groundbreaking/earthshaking really... so, nice to have, but nothing I can't live without... at least for a while. We'll see.