The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Lloyd, you are my favorite portrait artist! And a very fortunate granddad I guess...
Best,
Osman
[Blush] Thank you, Osman. I'm touched... seriously. And yes, very fortunate indeed.

Lloyd

At last, Summicron 28mm acquired! What a lens! Some first impressions during a stroll along the Golden Horn in Istanbul. B+W's are camera jpegs, the rest C1.
Best,
Osman
Very nice! I love that lens, and I know you will also. Looking forward to much more. Those are amazingly good b/w for camera jpgs!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

75 Cron wide open, ISO 1250

Mike Thats a wonderful image. I have been looking thru my archive for images of my daughters that could make a really large B+W print....like 30x40 . You caught the light perfectly and the expression is priceless. Thats a special image.
:thumbup:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Charlotte by night, in black and white...

All with the 28 cron, except for #2 which was with the 50 lux.
Mike How did you convert these images? I am still struggling a little with LR to get the profile and presets so that its easy. C1 with the yellow filter works well .

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Roger,

So far, I've done all my conversions in LR2, using the M9 color profiles on the ChromaSoft site that you mentioned in another thread. Those profiles have helped my color processing, but don't seem to make too much difference in the B&Ws.

Here's my basic processing steps:

- Adjust color temperature for normal color processing (really helps the B&W)
- Adjust exposure (no highlight clipping)
- Hit the "Greyscale" button at top-right
- Hit "auto" on Grayscale mix (this is a good starting point)
- Use the targetted selection tool in Grayscale mix to adjust color filters to taste
- Set "Clarity" to around +40 (much higher for B&W than I use for color)
- Pump up contrast using curves (i.e. +15 for Lights; -15 for Darks)
- Use local adjustment brush for fine-tuned dodge / burn
- Sharpen at relatively high rate (i.e. ~40)
- Ajdust Radius, Detail, and Masking per subject matter (for portraits, I usuall use a radius of 1.2, Detail of ~30, and Masking of ~50)
- Ad post-crop vignette to taste (for portraits)

I've created some basic User Presets that do most of this for me automatically, and then I just go through and fine tune for a specific image.

Hope that helps,
Mike

jonoslack

Lovely stuff Mike . . . but you get no points for making nice photos of your daughter, some things are just too easy!

I'm back in rural life again

this one is with the 90 elmarit (such a nice lens on the M9, so blah on the M8!)
mangle and basket

this one with the 50 'lux
finger lickin'

this is the 35 summarit wide open:

criss cross

this one with the 28 'cron

my spiritual home :)

finally with the WATE at 16mm . . .the spirit level in the finder works so well:

Shadows and Light (life and death)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Mike Those are almost exactly my settings as well in LR. I just make a preset off the first image I work and then apply it as my starting point. The LAA tool is a big help and I will often bring down a highlight by 1/2 EV right at the beginning. Sometimes makes the other adjustments easier.

Roger,

So far, I've done all my conversions in LR2, using the M9 color profiles on the ChromaSoft site that you mentioned in another thread. Those profiles have helped my color processing, but don't seem to make too much difference in the B&Ws.

Here's my basic processing steps:

- Adjust color temperature for normal color processing (really helps the B&W)
- Adjust exposure (no highlight clipping)
- Hit the "Greyscale" button at top-right
- Hit "auto" on Grayscale mix (this is a good starting point)
- Use the targetted selection tool in Grayscale mix to adjust color filters to taste
- Set "Clarity" to around +40 (much higher for B&W than I use for color)
- Pump up contrast using curves (i.e. +15 for Lights; -15 for Darks)
- Use local adjustment brush for fine-tuned dodge / burn
- Sharpen at relatively high rate (i.e. ~40)
- Ajdust Radius, Detail, and Masking per subject matter (for portraits, I usuall use a radius of 1.2, Detail of ~30, and Masking of ~50)
- Ad post-crop vignette to taste (for portraits)

I've created some basic User Presets that do most of this for me automatically, and then I just go through and fine tune for a specific image.

Hope that helps,
Mike

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Nice Jono, Do you still have the Zeiss 25mm, if so, any images from it on the M9?

jonoslack

Nice Jono, Do you still have the Zeiss 25mm, if so, any images from it on the M9?
Hi There
I do have it . . . it's sitting on my desk in front of me, but I haven't really used it with the M9. The 28 'cron is wonderful, and takes up all the viewfinder. To use the 25 needs and external finder, and I want that wide I tend to put on the frankenfinder and the WATE

I must give it a go though. My two favorites on the M8 were the 25 Zeiss, and the 50 f.15 sonnar. the 50 isn't that great on the M9 because it loses the plot badly on the corners. I should at least find out whether the 25 does the same.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

because it loses the plot badly on the corners. I should at least find out whether the 25 does the same.
That is what I was wondering. I'll have a chance to try the M9 in Oregon.

Lloyd

Or even Pink wheels:) Nice photo though.
I really like that little 35 summarit, but these wheels look too pink to me, I think it's something we'll all have to struggle with until Adobe and Apple release camera specific DNG conversion.
They look red from here. Must be the difference in time zone. :D

Lloyd

Thanks for indulging me just one more. (And especially since it's "off topic"... taken with my iPhone)

otumay

Lloyd, please don't do that! I'm trying to avoid buying an iPhone;)
Osman

Lloyd

Lloyd, please don't do that! I'm trying to avoid buying an iPhone;)
Osman
As with all things Leica, resistance to the iPhone is futile, Osman. :)

(BTW, I just went through your SLRdigital Group Photo Gallery. You have some really nice stuff there. And you've owned some great camera gear!)

Last edited:

otumay

Thank you, Lloyd, that's most flattering. My aspirations in this field are modest, as photography is a recently acquired hobby of mine which developed into a passion. Just trying to learn from my mistakes, but as the saying goes in Turkish; you cannot learn to play the horn after forty;)

robsteve

Subscriber

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and couldn't resist when I saw the sister of the bride in this great light. I used a 35mm Summicron ASPH.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

At a little girl's birthday party. Taken with the now obsolete and uncool M8, 35/1.4 Asph, sometimes bounce flash, sometimes not. Click on the thumbnails to see them big.
There are plenty of good pictures left in the M8.
I LOVE the first image in this set. I'm sure they will treasure that capture for a long time.