The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

A few shots from the Mission San Carlos Borromeo in Carmel, California...

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

A few B&W shots from the Mission. Organ inside the church, and the cemetery outside the church...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Mike I think some of your images look like the M9 has better color saturation ..reminds me of the rendering of slide film ..especially the blue sky. This is what I am seeing when I shoot the m9 and the M8 together. Great stuff.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Roger and Lloyd.

Went for a walk at the beach house at Pajaro Dunes, and took some shots of the interesting architecture in the area. The light was pretty harsh, but still managed to get good colors from the M9...

Rolo

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Lots of fun to be had with M8 images. :ROTFL:

From Leica Photographie International magazine, October 2009.

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Lots of fun to be had with M8 images. :ROTFL:

From Leica Photographie International magazine, October 2009.
Congratulations, Gary. Great stuff.

(It's a wonder they're allowing images from that archaic M8 into the magazine. You might as well be shooting Tin types, eh? :D)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Mike I noticed in C1 when working with the M9 images compared to the P30+ that the saturation was a little high on the M9 and i lowered it by 10 points and it matched up much better. I know you are using LR and it could be different obviously but I am noticing it in your images the saturation looks a little high. Maybe try a couple comparables that might be known to you. When in doubt try a macbeth Color chart. Btw they are looking nice but a little deep

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Guy

The saturation is higher in the conversions of the M9 files in both C1 and LR. LR with the profile from the Cornerfix guru is a custom off the macbeth chart for LR. I found the skin tones to be very accurate with no color caste but the solid colors are more vibrant similar to color slide film. RED for example exactly matches the Coke red on their signs..an easy test.

C1 s profile is a little warmer and has more magenta hue than the LR with Sandy s profile. The Coke RED is more subdued but also has a magenta look . The C1 conversions seem to still have magic in rendering detail but the color isn t better like it was with the M8 files.

The biggest difference looking at the M8 files and the M9 files same exact light ..is the depth of the color....not only is it more saturated but also more vibrant and with better tone separation. Like when you shot the DMR at sunset over water....the deep blues are like MF. This is a diiferent look than when you just pull the saturation slider over .

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Thanks Roger yes C1 was and is warmer I noticed as well by about 300 kelvin. I agree on the profile in C1 while very good the color and saturation need a little work. Now you can make a preset in C1 with those corrections and just apply to all when you bring them in. I have not tried Sandy's profile. Probably some more color testing needed and maybe time to take the Color checker inside with strobes and do some comparables and adjustments. If you guys want I obviously can do this with the P30+ since it is a very good color adjusted file that could be a good gold standard to go by and adjust to it. The P30+ is very neutral. If that would help let me know I can shoot it in the studio and provide you guys with the raw. If I had a M9 i could do the same and we will have one in Oregon but not sure we will have strobes with us. Obviously we can also get Jack, Doug and Bob to look at the M9 files since we will have at least one on board. But so far that is what i am seeing in C1.

If you look back at my review you will notice towards the end i brought this up. Also I neglected to mention a slight red in jpegs only with in camera. i only shot it once like that but picked up on it right away. I guess i was just too busy to mention it at the time.

Also I don't want to derail this thread so if you wanted to start a thread on M9 and color and maybe we can work on this

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks guys.

For these particular shots, I pumped up saturation in LR on purpose for effect (bright clear skies tend to look better with saturation pumped).

When the shot includes skin, then I keep saturation more constrained.

Here's an example of one of the architecture shots above.

First the more neutral (contrained) version (Vibrance -1; Saturation -10):

And then the "pumped up" version (Vibrance +8; Saturation +2):

Here's an example of skin tones (Vibrance 0; Saturation -7):

I agree with Roger that I am generally getting higher saturation in my M9 files than I had in my M8 files. Especially in the Reds. And I'm using the ChromaSoft color profile for the M9, which was carefully calibrated on a MacBeth chart.

Notice how deep the pink car is in the last shot, even with Saturation dialed down to minus 7. The skin tones are accurate.

Lloyd - I'm doing my B&W conversions in LR. I outlined the procedure in this post #118 of this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138889&postcount=118

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Same workflow on these recent B&W image, Lloyd. But the specifics are fine-tuned for each specific image.

If I get time later this week, I'll take one of them, show it in it's original color form, and then go through the detailed LR recipe for my B&W conversion on that particular image.

Mike