The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Mike:

All the Alcatraz shots are fabulous!! Bring back memories? LOL

GlennB

Heaven's above!
All taken this afternoon with the WATE.

Jono,

PLEASE STOP with the WATE images (you too Mike) !!!
I'm saving my pennies for a M9 (on a list, like almost everyone else :cry:).
I just CAN'T start lusting after another expensive lens!!! :)

Glenn
(new owner of a used 35 Lux asph :) )

jonoslack

Glen, Graham
Apologies for being so unfeeling and difficult.
I sympathise, I really do (I'm on a list too!)

There are a few WATE's around secondhand - I think some people felt that it was unnecessary on the M9, before realising how good it is (Reynolds was saved from a terrible mistake).

Maybe now is the time to find one.

N

nei1

So the wate is special in more ways than just being a 3 in 1,does it add something more to the image than any of the 3 primes ?or is it that it doesnt take any thing away from the primes;...it is their equal,and so nicer to carry and just as good from whatever f-stop it starts at...........Or,is it better?

p.s.Jono its one thing to spend your hard earned cash on a M9 but dont you think hiring fighter pilots just to impress here is a little extravagant!?

jonoslack

HI Neil
Love the new avatar . . .

So the wate is special in more ways than just being a 3 in 1,does it add something more to the image than any of the 3 primes ?or is it that it doesnt take any thing away from the primes;...it is their equal,and so nicer to carry and just as good from whatever f-stop it starts at...........Or,is it better?
Well, there aren't too many 16mm primes around!. General concensus is that the 18mm super-elmarit has more contrast and possibly slightly better distortion. Still, the WATE is great on the M9 (it starts at f4 - if you want to shoot wide angle wide open then obviously it's not for you.

p.s.Jono its one thing to spend your hard earned cash on a M9 but dont you think hiring fighter pilots just to impress here is a little extravagant!?
You don't have to pay them - just give 'em a call and say you'd like them to fly over the local church at 600mph .

They're there in a flash in their sexy machines (I just put that in to give Guy a thrill!).

woodyspedden

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

First of all, sorry for the late response to those who have commented (much appreciated!) on my recent posts; I've been traveling lately.

Lloyd, cindy, Outmay, gero, Stuart: excellent images that make me want to pick up my M8 and go out and photograph.

Here are two modest attempt at humorous photography. A difficult subject, already the ancient Greeks realized that it is much easier to make people cry than laugh...
Arne

I love the shot of the dog and the puddle. Reminds me so much of Henri Cartier Bressons shot of the man jumping the puddle. Good chuckle to start my day

Woody

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

My thoughts on the WATE...

It is not a better performer than the Leica 18, Zeiss 18, Leica 21, or Zeiss 21 lenses at equivalent focal lengths, and the WATE is a slower lens (at 21mm).

The great benefit of the WATE for me is that it's a 3-in-1 lens that is very good when stopped down to f5.6 or f8. There is a big difference between 16mm and 21mm (about 30% difference in focal length - the equivalent difference between 75mm and 100mm).

My 28 cron is my standard walk-around wide-angle, but I need something wider, especially for architecture. I was using a ZM 21 Biogon as my wide lens, but sometimes I needed something even wider than that. I like the Zeiss 18/4, but it's too wide at times. And then there are times when I want "really wide". I used to use the CV 15 (even the CV 12 on the M8), but those lenses are not well suited for the M9 (cyan shift).

So do I carry two lenses (18 and 21), and give up the super-wide 15-16mm focal length? Space in my bag is at a premium, since I travel a lot. So it makes a big difference to me to be able to eliminate redundant lenses.

So the WATE becomes the best solution. 16-18-21, all in one lens. Remove the hood (it vignettes on an M9), and replace it with the 67mm filter adapter (to protect the front element), and the lens is also fairly compact. It's smaller than the Zeiss 18/4.

EDIT: as pointed out in follow-on posts below, the hood does NOT vignette on the M9 if the Millich filter adapter is removed.

I use my M9 for landscape and architecture shooting, often tripod mounted (all my Alcatraz shots above are tripod mounted). In those situations, I'm generally working in low light, stopped down to f8 (for depth of field), and using long exposures. For that type of situation, the WATE is ideal. I can click through the various focal lengths to find one that's just right, stop down to f8, and get fantastic images.

If you are only a "walk-around" shooter, and would never use a tripod, the WATE might be too slow for you. In that case, the ZM 21 Biogon, or M 21 Elmarit are probably the best choices for you (both are very good at f2.8). If you don't mind a very large lens, and have the cash, then an M 21 Summilux might be the choice (too large and expensive for me, and doesn't match my shooting style).

For me, the combination of the 28 cron for hand-held walk-around shooting, with the WATE for tripod mounted wide-angle work, is a perfect combination.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Nice report Mike. I owned the WATE for a time being and it is a very handy lens and covers a nice range.

jonoslack

My thoughts on the WATE...
Excellent stuff Mike - but a couple of points

So the WATE becomes the best solution. 16-18-21, all in one lens. Remove the hood (it vignettes on an M9),
I haven't found that - as long as you remove the the Millich IR holder!
I have looked as well.
If you are only a "walk-around" shooter, and would never use a tripod, the WATE might be too slow for you.
I find it wonderful for casual landscape and travel photography - you can hand hold the WATE down to silly speeds on the M9, and anyway, for that kind of work you're likely to want to use smaller apertures than F4.
The benefit of having those three focal lengths in one lens is wonderful, and the downsides are very small.

The church and sky pictures early in this thread were all taken hand held just before dusk - they're as sharp as a new pin!

For me, the combination of the 28 cron for hand-held walk-around shooting, with the WATE for tripod mounted wide-angle work, is a perfect combination.
Well, I agree about the 'cron, but there's no need to put the WATE on a tripod (especially with the wonderful spirit level in the frankenfinder).

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Excellent stuff Mike - but a couple of points

I haven't found that - as long as you remove the the Millich IR holder!
I have looked as well.

I find it wonderful for casual landscape and travel photography - you can hand hold the WATE down to silly speeds on the M9, and anyway, for that kind of work you're likely to want to use smaller apertures than F4.
The benefit of having those three focal lengths in one lens is wonderful, and the downsides are very small.

The church and sky pictures early in this thread were all taken hand held just before dusk - they're as sharp as a new pin!

Well, I agree about the 'cron, but there's no need to put the WATE on a tripod (especially with the wonderful spirit level in the frankenfinder).
Jono - thanks for these clarifications.

Good news on the hood. Mine has the Milich adapter (it came that way with the lens I bought - used), so I wasn't aware that I could decouple the adapter and use the hood by itself. I'll give that a try - that would be a good solution.

I agree that the WATE is very usable hand-held, and have used it that way myself as well. I generally set it at f5.6 when hand-held, and f8 when on the tripod.

But for street shooters who like to shoot at f2.8 or faster, that's where the other lenses make more sense.

I don't know about you, but I personally have stopped using the Frankenfinder. I just shoot, check the LCD, and if necessary, shoot again with a slightly different composition.

When tripod mounted, the FrankenFinder is totally unnecessary, as it's easy to make very controlled adjustments to the composition, and check them periodically with test shots.

Overall, the WATE is a terrific lens. I've seen some selling for around $3,400 used (not bad when compared to the prices of a combination of 21 Elmarit + M 18).

I suspect the prices will go up, as people discover what a great lens this is on the M9.

Mike

jonoslack

Jono - thanks for these clarifications.

Good news on the hood. Mine has the Milich adapter (it came that way with the lens I bought - used), so I wasn't aware that I could decouple the adapter and use the hood by itself. I'll give that a try - that would be a good solution.
No sweat, you can simply unscrew it, then unscrew the Milich adaptor and screw the hood back on (30 seconds).

I don't know about you, but I personally have stopped using the Frankenfinder. I just shoot, check the LCD, and if necessary, shoot again with a slightly different composition.
I love it - it's soooo accurate (the framelines), and it's great for framing. If there is any chance of using the WATE when I go out, I simply add the frankender and leave it on the camera.
Truth is, that it might be ugly, but it's no higher than most other viewfinders, and therefore it doesn't really take up any more space.

Overall, the WATE is a terrific lens. I've seen some selling for around $3,400 used (not bad when compared to the prices of a combination of 21 Elmarit + M 18).

I suspect the prices will go up, as people discover what a great lens this is on the M9.

Mike
I quite agree about prices - the fact of not having to fiddle about with menus suddenly makes it really nice to use.