The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

fotografz

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

My eyes are still in training. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

I think will pick up one of those pocketable colour checkers from X-Rite. They come with a Lightroom plugin which does a quick colour balance on the image(s), and that is probably sufficient for my uses.

The thing which bothers me a little about the M9 is that rather than going back to a neutral startpoint, it introduces more complications, in the form of the new IR filter on the sensor, and the built-in corrections for that. This means potentially more complex problems with CV and ZM lenses, as well as a more complicated colour correction workflow. This makes me hesitate a little with my trigger-finger when it cones to purchasing. Even lenses like Leica's own 18mm have some colour issues, and my current feeling is that this time I would rather wait until these issues have been sorted. It is a chunk if cash, and after the M8, I would rather be a little patient than go through potential factory service etc. to get it as good as my M8 is by now.

Anyway, blah blah, I am just still being more picky than usual.
Actually, the color in LR is okay for the most part. Normal work it's pretty much there. It rears its head in these low mixed lighting scenarios ... but as I said my Sony had fits with it also ... as did my assistant's Canon 5D.

-Marc

BTW, my first 17 X22 just came out of the Epson 3800, and IT IS SPECTACULAR! Pixel peeper noise and junk seen on the computer screen is not there in the full sized print. WaHoooo! This M9 camera rocks!

Last edited:

carstenw

1. there are issues
2. they aren't as significant as the issues with the M8 - even after all the firmware updates.
No question, I am not saying that I think it is a bad or flawed camera. It is just that it is a much more complex solution, where the M8 was simple, almost naïve. Send it in for the sensor fix, slap a filter on every lens, done.

I pretty much have to sell my CV15, not because it isn't sharp enough, but because the IR correction in the M9 is more complex than before, and no truly satisfactory tool exists for fixing it. CornerFix might get there with time, but I am very reluctant to buy a camera contingent on future improvements (I learned that in the MF world ;)). Similarly, the Zeiss 18mm is probably out, and that was going to be my next choice. Even the Leica 18mm, my new choice, still has corner problems, and the whole magenta left-side-with-wides issue is something that I am watching very carefully.

To be sure, the M9 looks like it is several steps ahead of the M8 overall, but right now my M8 is working really well and I get great colours in almost every situation. The M9 introduces more complexity where what I want is simplicity. I just don't want to go through the improvement mill again, but just to buy in once the cake is properly baked.

I am not expecting a perfect camera, and once the magenta cast and various corner and side casts have been dealt with, I would buy immediately.

I do trust Leica to get it right, so once it is right, I will definitely buy in. For now, I might hold off on the purchase, unless I get offered a camera which behaves well with the 18mm and has a shutter as quiet as my M8u.

jonoslack

No question, I am not saying that I think it is a bad or flawed camera. It is just that it is a much more complex solution, where the M8 was simple, almost naïve. Send it in for the sensor fix, slap a filter on every lens, done.

I pretty much have to sell my CV15, not because it isn't sharp enough, but because the IR correction in the M9 is more complex than before, and no truly satisfactory tool exists for fixing it. CornerFix might get there with time, but I am very reluctant to buy a camera contingent on future improvements (I learned that in the MF world ;)). Similarly, the Zeiss 18mm is probably out, and that was going to be my next choice. Even the Leica 18mm, my new choice, still has corner problems, and the whole magenta left-side-with-wides issue is something that I am watching very carefully.

To be sure, the M9 looks like it is several steps ahead of the M8 overall, but right now my M8 is working really well and I get great colours in almost every situation. The M9 introduces more complexity where what I want is simplicity. I just don't want to go through the improvement mill again, but just to buy in once the cake is properly baked.

I am not expecting a perfect camera, and once the magenta cast and various corner and side casts have been dealt with, I would buy immediately.

I do trust Leica to get it right, so once it is right, I will definitely buy in. For now, I might hold off on the purchase, unless I get offered a camera which behaves well with the 18mm and has a shutter as quiet as my M8u.
I really don't think it is more complex - quite the contrary
I wouldn't sell that 15 yet either!

Remember, your 21mm is the same as the 15 on the M8 anyway (and the 28 cron the same as the 21 lux!!).
I'm pretty sure that all the 18's will be fine, the WATE is certainly okay (and if you buy one before anyone realises . .. there's one at ffordes for instance).

carstenw

I really don't think it is more complex - quite the contrary.
I wouldn't sell that 15 yet either!
It is not simple, Jono, at least not yet, with specific focal lengths. The WATE might be okay (I had one, but sold it due to the horrendous workflow on the M8; I am wondering if it was a mistake, but the deal was done before the M9 was announced :(). Anyway, I prefer primes, not zooms (which the WATE is, even if it only clicks at three points). A single clip-in optical viewfinder appeals much more than the frankenfinder.

If you have a Leica 18mm and are seeing magenta casts on the left, what should you do? Special Photoshop action? This was never necessary with the M8. I would rather wait until Leica gets to the bottom of this.

By the way, I don't have a 21mm at the moment. There is a gap from CV15 to 28 Cron. I have been considering the 21 Elmarit ASPH, but it is a bit older in the current lineup, and isn't the sharpest lens in the corners wide open, so I am also considering the 18mm, which is meant to be better, but has the magenta issues.

jlancasterd

The first fruits of a 'new to me' 21 2.8 Asph. The River Colwyn near Beddgelert.

I'm getting the 'left hand magenta' with this lens (actually at the bottom of the frame with this vertical shot) but find it can be mitigated by using the vignetting control and individual colour controls in Lightroom.

it's academic if you convert to monochrome, of course... :rolleyes:

View attachment 23912

View attachment 23913

Last edited:

woodyspedden

HI Carsten
1. there are issues
2. they aren't as significant as the issues with the M8 - even after all the firmware updates.

By all means wait, but I really don't think that waiting on the basis of the colour from Aperture and Lightroom (which will both, surely have profiles in the near future) is a good reason.

C1 does a grand job with the files.
You guys may also want to try Raw Developer on the M9 files. I have and so far find it as good or better than C1.

I am sure that LR, C1 and ACR will all have better profiles soon. What we have now is clearly not where we need to be

Woody

Gary P

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Thanks Lloyd! Your images always look GREAT, thanks for the insight, I'll give it a try.

Gary

stevem8

Not with LR3, but two M9 shots from today...

50 Lux pre at 1.4

50 Lux pre at 1.4

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Very nice, Steve. Lots of mojo in the M9. That RV on the previous page looks like an abandoned meth lab ... perhaps from someone who needed to cook up some ice for an M9 and a whole set of M lenses. ;)

Kurt

jonoslack

boring stuff with Lightroom 3 taken this evening.
NO white balance or colour adjustment.
All with 50 lux asph

It's gratifying to know that the only thing that the M9 really baulks at is pictures of Nick Griffin!

. . . . and in case you're impressed, no, I haven't read Clarissa (I did try really hard though :eek:)

otumay

Steve, beautiful shots! Especially the b/w shot is one of the best I've seen from an M9.
Best,
Osman