The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

m_driscoll

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Thanks, Matt.

The first 18mm shot (of the wedding party in Central Park) is cropped, and only because I was hesitant to intrude, so I couldn't get as close as I would have liked. The 18mm is so sharp, you can easily crop the images. I don't do that -- but that's just the way I prefer to shoot. When I crop an image, I inevitably come back later and decide the original framing was best. Not sure why, since at the time, it seemed as though I was just getting whatever shot I could.

I sometimes push the 18mm images a stop or so in processing, which helps in marginal light situations. The RAW images hold up very well to processing.
I was hoping that was your answer. The wide angle distortion towards the edges isn't immediately noticeable; which is nice. Thanks for responding. Great new pictures from Times Square. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Is that the same church as in the well-known Ansel Adams shot?
Unlikely. Adams did most of his work in Northern California, where there are similar churches (such as the Mendocino Presbyterian Church). Mendocino looks enough like a New England town that a 1966 Alan Arkin film "The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming" (about a submarine that runs aground in Nantucket) was shot there.

Lloyd

Very nice, Woody. I particularly like that shot of the church.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Woody - that church shot is fantastic.

How did you keep all the verticals parrallel? My guess is that you used a really wide focal length (WATE), and chopped off the bottom third of the image?

Mike

GMB

Wow. Those just sing. That 75 cron has few peers, and you've employed it wonderfully. :thumbup:

(By the way, welcome. I'm looking forward to many more great images posted here.):cool:
Lloyd, Thanks for the kind comments. Last Sunday was a great day i Brussels. I went with my wife, the M8, and the Noctilux f1 for a walk in the park Solvay. Here are a few impressions. Click on them for larger view.

View attachment 24643

View attachment 24645

View attachment 24644

View attachment 24642

View attachment 24641

View attachment 24640

View attachment 24639

View attachment 24638

View attachment 24637

Last edited:

Lloyd

Lloyd, Thanks for the kind comments. Last Sunday was a great day i Brussels. I went with my wife, the M8, and the Noctilux f1 for a walk in the park Solvay. Here are a few impressions. Click on them for larger view.

View attachment 24643

View attachment 24645

View attachment 24644

View attachment 24642

View attachment 24641

View attachment 24640

View attachment 24639

View attachment 24638

View attachment 24637
Wonderful, warm, autumn colors. Unfortunately, I can only see the thumbnails. Nothing happens when I click on them.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

Woody - that church shot is fantastic.

How did you keep all the verticals parrallel? My guess is that you used a really wide focal length (WATE), and chopped off the bottom third of the image?

Mike
Mike - the church shot (and others like it) are stitches - the church is four panels; 30 Rock on my website is six panels. I do a rough cut at leveling and correcting perspective in the stitching software and true up to perfect in PS, using either the tools in the lens distortion filter, or the distort tool. For architectural subjects i've found that PTGui is a little more consistent than Autopano Pro. Esthetically for this type of treatment horizontal and vertical alignment need to be perfect - off by a little is worse than off by a lot because it looks like you tried and missed. Also intense detail is a key to the desired look so you need to optimize from a lens, f-stop and, if you're handholding from a shutter speed standpoint. The church was done with a 35 lux asph at f5.6 and 30 Rock with a 50 DR chron, also at 5.6. Both were handheld at 1/250 or so - a single frame with camera movement ruins the whole sequence. You can nudge the ISO up because noise gets relatively smaller as the file gets larger. Of course you have to work in manual mode and expose for the whole scene, because changing exposure gives the stitching software fitss.

Stiching produces very, very large files but you need very high pixel density because the perspective correction "stretches" the top of the image - giving the same effect as uprezing. A super abundance of pixels at the top of the image compensates for this. Interestingly the loss of resolution toward the extreme end of the image often looks "natural" - comparable to the declining resolution that you get with a view camera as you approach the edge of the image circle with extreme shifts. Adding a bit of vignetting during processing can enhance this illusion.

The B&W citiscape print that I brought to Oregon (the three panel M9 stitch) started out pointed downward by about 20 degrees (quite a lot) - I trued up perspective as described above. No one noticed or commented on any quality issues - again demonstrating the advantage of very large files - they give you the headroom to deal with perspective issues.

Once you've thought and experimented through all of this its very fast to shoot and do the post processing.

carstenw

I really like that lens. Such nice boke, and still sharp on her face (which is a little red, I guess it is getting cold where you are).

woodyspedden

Love the dancers Woody.

Here are a couple of landscapes from the weekend - both with the WATE

Hey Jono

You get a look and feel with the WATE that I don't see often (Mike Hatam being another exception). I am filling out my lens kit for the M9 and the WATE is high on that list. What I find interesting is that I never see the look you get with the WATE from those who use the 18 4.0. Since the whole issue may be the photographer and not the lens, is there any chance you could get an 18 4.0 and do some side by side shots with the WATE. I for one would really appreciate this as it would help me decide on the best lens for my work. As you well know, at its price the WATE is not a lens you should buy without really understanding its strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks

Woody

DavidE

More NYC photos. The first was with the 50 lux. The others were with the 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]