The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Hi there
I thought I would revisit the Zeiss 25 f2.8 biogon

This was a very favorite lens on the M8, on the M9, it seemed less necessary, added to which, if you coded it as a 24 elmarit (obvious) then it had a nasty red band on the left hand side.

Yesterday I thought I'd do some research, so I checked it against a bunch of WA lenses on the M9 lens table, from the WATE 21 upwards. Nothing was much good until I got to the 28 elmarit ASPH. It does vignette a little, but with little or no colour deviation.

Here are some examples:

Hi Jono,
thanks for sharing your findings about the Zeiss 25 coding.
I've just a curiosity regarding the behaviour ot the Biogon with lens recognition set to "off".
Cheers,
Ario

m_driscoll

"Buying flowers is so...oo hard to do"

Lloyd: Thanks.

Seattle's Pike Place Market. Can't believe she didn't notice me. Cheers.

1. M8; 50mm f/1.0; 1/180s; ISO 160

2. M8; 50mm f/1.0; 1/180s; ISO 160

3. M8; 50mm f/1.0; 1/180s; ISO 160

4. M8; 50mm f/1.0; 1/45s; ISO 160

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

otumay

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Can't believe either! That's a lively story told by lively colors.
Osman

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
thanks for sharing your findings about the Zeiss 25 coding.
I've just a curiosity regarding the behaviour ot the Biogon with lens recognition set to "off".
Cheers,
Ario
HI Ario
Well, I actually took some shots with it on 'off' by mistake. It was quite bad, but nothing like as bad as it is when set up as a 24 elmarit. I tried all the options from 18mm SE up to 35 'cron. the 28 asph f2.8 was really the only one which produced a decent result.

Rather irritatingly I can't actually code mine as a 28 asph f2.8, because when it had the 6 bit coding added by John Milich the lens mount was changed to bring up the 24mm framelines. I'm currently considering whether or not to change back to the original mount which has the 28 lines . . . which would then allow me to code it as a 28.

I think I'm going to wait awhile, as I think there is some dust to settle on this issue, and there may be changes in the firmware which change things (just guessing here, no knowledge).

I hope this helps.

jonoslack

HI Bébèrt

Jono,

this is a wonderful combination, a Zeiss 25/2.8 in front of the Leica M9 and JonoSlack behind it.
Thanks for that - and thanks to Lloyd as well. Like Lloyd, I'm not so keen on the idea of lardballs . . . but I'll be driving through Belgium in a couple of weeks, so perhaps it would be fun to try some :eek:

Thank you Jono,
this confirms what I've seen with my non Leica ultra wides.
I'm also of the opinion that most probably we will see an adjustment coming with a new firmware because at least some fine tuning of the correction mechanism is likely needed also for some of the Leica lenses.
Cheers,
Ario

Bébèrt

Thanks Lloyd and Jono.

The end of our town fair.

M9 + CV28 - iso 160

and for those with a sweet taste:

An oliebol (plural oliebollen ( pronunciation ) is a traditional Dutch food. Oliebollen (literally oil balls) are traditionally eaten on New Year's Eve and at funfairs. They are also called smoutebollen (literally lard balls) in Belgium. Sometimes it is referenced in English as Dutch donut.

Oliebollen are a variety of donut made by using two spoons to scoop a certain amount of dough and dropping the dough into a deep fryer filled with hot oil. In this way, a sphere-shaped oliebol emerges.

The dough is made from flour, eggs, yeast, some salt, milk, baking powder and optionally some sultanas or currants or raisins and sometimes apple pieces and zest or succade. In some family recipes beer is added to the dough. The dough needs time to rise for at least an hour. Oliebollen are usually served with powdered sugar.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd and Jono.

The end of our town fair.

M9 + CV28 - iso 160

and for those with a sweet taste:

An oliebol (plural oliebollen ( pronunciation ) is a traditional Dutch food. Oliebollen (literally oil balls) are traditionally eaten on New Year's Eve and at funfairs. They are also called smoutebollen (literally lard balls) in Belgium. Sometimes it is referenced in English as Dutch donut.

Oliebollen are a variety of donut made by using two spoons to scoop a certain amount of dough and dropping the dough into a deep fryer filled with hot oil. In this way, a sphere-shaped oliebol emerges.

The dough is made from flour, eggs, yeast, some salt, milk, baking powder and optionally some sultanas or currants or raisins and sometimes apple pieces and zest or succade. In some family recipes beer is added to the dough. The dough needs time to rise for at least an hour. Oliebollen are usually served with powdered sugar.
Really nice shots, Bébèrt. And thanks for the explanation. They don't sound too bad afterall.

s.agar

Beautiful photos.

I love the 3rd one.

Hi there
I thought I would revisit the Zeiss 25 f2.8 biogon

This was a very favorite lens on the M8, on the M9, it seemed less necessary, added to which, if you coded it as a 24 elmarit (obvious) then it had a nasty red band on the left hand side.

Yesterday I thought I'd do some research, so I checked it against a bunch of WA lenses on the M9 lens table, from the WATE 21 upwards. Nothing was much good until I got to the 28 elmarit ASPH. It does vignette a little, but with little or no colour deviation.

Here are some examples:

DavidE

Excellent series of shots, Matt. They pull you right into the action. Great color.

You had asked earlier about Viveza 2. It's supposed to ship in December. I met with Nik Software at PhotoExpo Plus, and they gave me a pre-release version to try out.

m_driscoll

Otumay/Lloyd/DavidE, Thanks for the comments. Her facial expressions and body language were wonderful.

I think that sometimes there are so many people with point-n-shoots and iphones pointing every direction that it's easy to go unnoticed (especially with a Leica).

David E: I use Viveza a bit now. I'll definitely get Viveza 2.

Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

DavidE

Experimenting with B&W processing. Three shots of the same flower with the 50 lux.

While I like the first one, it takes on a more artificial look when I convert it to JPG.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Last edited:

Lloyd

Experimenting with B&W processing. Three shots of the same flower with the 50 lux.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]
Very nice, David. This one just rocks!

DavidE

Very nice, David. This one just rocks!
Thanks, Lloyd. That one is my favorite of the bunch -- if I can figure out how to convert it without the black border areas becoming distorted.

Here's another experiment. These landscape shots seemed too busy, so I turned them upside down. Shot with the Leica 18mm.

Lloyd

Thanks, Lloyd. That one is my favorite of the bunch -- if I can figure out how to convert it without the black border areas becoming distorted.

Here's another experiment. These landscape shots seemed too busy, so I turned them upside down. Shot with the Leica 18mm.

Great idea, works really well. :thumbup:

BTW, we were sitting at the table last night when I opened those flower images on my laptops. My wife's immediate reaction to the first one was "Wow! That is stunning!" Case closed. :)

DavidE

My wife liked it, too -- which helps when I say, "Gee, honey, I'm thinking about buying another lens for the Leica."

She has this one on her computer as the Windows background image.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Lloyd

My wife liked it, too -- which helps when I say, "Gee, honey, I'm thinking about buying another lens for the Leica."

She has this one on her computer as the Windows background image.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]
Very nice... would make a good background. I had a similar experience (lens buying-wise), but after the fact. I bought a Noctilux, and let's just say my wife wasn't particularly amused by the price. Then I shot some of our nieces and nephews, and a bunch of our daughter-in-law... just snapshots, and mostly wide open. A couple of days later, I found her browsing the images on the computer. I watched her for a couple of minutes without saying anything, and then she turned and said, "ok, I get it... that lens is magic, and worth the investment." Just wish it happened that way more often! :D

Last edited:

f 10

Exactly what I've done recently with a pic

Last edited: