The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Took a run at f1point0's image:

Four versions:

PS4 with an action I made to mimic Tri-X 400:

Three more done in Lightroom 2.5:

Higher contrast, "Street" look:

Agfa 400 preset:

Sort of an Ilford XP1 Super look I made a preset of... and my fav of the four:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

You are forgiven. This shot is stunning!
Thanks Cindy! It's been awhile since I made the jpeg, can't remember why I cropped it like that.

Lloyd: nice bike! I had the bike dream once, alas it's not for me. My Bianchi sits collecting dust in the barn.

Stuart Richardson

Interesting shots! There is something going one with Silver Efex though -- look at the bokeh above and to the left of the women's heads -- in other conversion the specular highlights are solid and evenly toned in silver efex they have more pronounced edges, and are dark in the centers -- exaggerating the ring-bokeh effect. It's not a major effect, but kind of interesting...I wonder what it is doing that causes that...

Amin

Man, I want a classic Noctilux sooooooo bad...here is one from today with the 50 Nokton 1.1. Its no Noctilux though.
Love the shot and the conversion, Steve. The Noctilux has loads of character and I'd love to own one some day, but the Nokton is superior in other ways, and you've put it to great use!

S

simonpg

Just to wash away the taste of that Nikon faux pas, I'll post this (now somewhat old) M8 shot.
That is a beautiful image - every element is superb! Well done. I like it in that near square format. Maybe its the 6x6 Hasselblad shooter in me, but everything fits in beautifully.

Of course the tonality and out of focus are superb. The quality of capture speaks for itself despite the fact we are viewing it over the web - but, its easy to see how nicely it will print.

May I ask, what focal length did you shoot with?

As an M7 shooter, I'm interested now in obtaining an M8 or M8.2. The images I have see over time have a look I really like - so like Portra NC 160. Maybe that is not a coincidence since both are by Kodak. Is that a view M8 users share?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

May I ask, what focal length did you shoot with?

As an M7 shooter, I'm interested now in obtaining an M8 or M8.2. The images I have see over time have a look I really like - so like Portra NC 160. Maybe that is not a coincidence since both are by Kodak. Is that a view M8 users share?
Thank you simonpg! The shot is taken with the 75 Summilux and I believe it was at f1.4 or 1.8. It's a beautiful lens.

As for the M8 being film-like, I'm afraid I can't answer very well. Prior to shooting digital, my memories of the color film I used to shoot go all the way back to Ektachrome and VPS. Fuji wasn't even a factor in the market. And while many shooters do indeed look for film characteristics with their new camera kits, I prefer to enjoy the unique abilities the digital cameras offer. It's even possible (in my mind at least) for there to come a day when people will say things like: "the qualities of this new XXXX camera are very reminiscent of the M8".

Lloyd

From my daily blog. All shot with an M9 and a 35mm chron asph., which is turning out to be one of the most flexible and usable lenses on this camera for me.

Monday - 919 Third Avenue in New York:

View attachment 25012

Tuesday - Summer Street, Boston:

View attachment 25013

Sunrise this morning in Boston from the World Trade Center pier.

View attachment 25014
Nice work, Woody. I've also very much enjoyed the images on your blog.

otumay

An overcast afternoon in Besiktas, Istanbul.
M8 + Summicron 75.
Cheers,
Osman

Fortune-teller approaching prospective clients

Lloyd

An overcast afternoon in Besiktas, Istanbul.
M8 + Summicron 75.
Cheers,
Osman
Fortune-teller approaching prospective clients
Lots of nice things going on in those, Osman. I like the point of focus on the boat in that first one, and the look on the woman on the right of the pair goes perfectly with the selective color in that second one.

otumay

Thank you Lloyd. When armed with a 75mm lens, ordinary scenes suddenly turn into little episodes, don't they?

DavidE

From a couple of weeks ago. Leica 18mm lens again.

That's my better half at the bottom of the frame (I'm referring to my wife... not my bottom half :)). We were visiting Reynolda Gardens in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Lloyd

From a couple of weeks ago. Leica 18mm lens again.

That's my better half at the bottom of the frame (I'm referring to my wife... not my bottom half :)). We were visiting Reynolda Gardens in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Another fine example. (and I assume you also didn't mean to suggest that that is the better half of your better half either. Correct? :D)

DavidE

Another fine example. (and I assume you also didn't mean to suggest that that is the better half of your better half either. Correct? :D)
My better quarter? For the record... (chooses words carefully here)... all fractional portions of my wife are held in the highest esteem.

I showed her your post about buying the Noctilux and your wife's reaction to the magic it brings. My wife then asked how much the Noctilux costs, and I replied that these days a brand new one can cost $10,000. Her response was, "It would be worth it, if you could take a really good picture of me." I think she was half serious about it. I'm just not sure which half, in this case, is the better half. :)

Lloyd

My better quarter? For the record... (chooses words carefully here)... all fractional portions of my wife are held in the highest esteem.

I showed her your post about buying the Noctilux and your wife's reaction to the magic it brings. My wife then asked how much the Noctilux costs, and I replied that these days a brand new one can cost $10,000. Her response was, "It would be worth it, if you could take a really good picture of me." I think she was half serious about it. I'm just not sure which half, in this case, is the better half. :)
Oh my! Strike while the iron is hot, my friend. "He who hesitates", and all that, you know. :D