The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun time / M8 images

Well, I like your second version better, but let's see what others think ;)

FWIW, one trick you can use with B&W since it's all monotone anyway, is to add a curve and pull the 255 highlights down to around a 250 light gray and lessen the distraction of the bright background somewhat. IOW, flatten out the highlight shoulder a bit.

Cheers,

hdrmd

A couple of shots with the new (30% discounted) Noctilux. We are having a a very late, but colorful Fall here in Kentucky. DR

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...

Be with you in just a minute....
Peacock's Cafe, Stephenville, Texas, U.S.A.

M

Manatee

Beautiful shots Jaap!

If this is what I'm going to get when taking the M8 plunge I certainly will go for it.

I'm about to get an M6 with a 28 or so in order to make sure the RF will be my kind of thing.

Thanks for the advice you gave me last week.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob van Dam

woodyspedden

Hey Rob

I commend you for taking the plunge carefully because, for sure, the RF experience is not for everyone. By going this route you can recover most if not all of your money as the M6 is a totally mature product. You can learn in a relative heartbeat whether or not the rangefinder approach is for you. If so the M6 will continue to be a valuable tool as film still has a real place in the photographic world. I use the M8's for 90+% of my shots but still use the Mamiya 7II for very high resolution work (with the wonders of Velvia 50) and the Hasselblad XPan for film based panoramics.

Let us all know what your final choices are and why. We all learn from the experiences of others

All the best and have fun

Woody Spedden

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Rob maybe even rent a M6 for a week or two and see if it fits you. I am new to the RF system when I bought the M8 last year and i almost rented but i just went to a local dealer and played with a M7 about 4 or 5 times just to get a feel for it. Just another option to think about.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Was out snapping away with my CV 12 today. It's amazing how light the Velbon 540, Acratech, and M8 is. Very easy to grab the whole rig by a tripod leg and go rock hopping. This setup worked today because there was absolutely no wind, a rarity on along the coast here. Normally the bigger Gitzo and Kirk ballhead is needed.

This was 30s (NR on) at f/8 a bit past sunset. Not that exciting, but I'm a bit rusty, plus I arrived a bit late and didn't have much time to poke around.

M

Manatee

Thanks Woody,

I will certainly come back to you and the forum.

For the time being two shots I've made in Yemen with my 5D.

I'm sure the M is THE camera to use for this kind of work.

Rob

carstenw

Manatee, I love that first shot of the kids, but being in Yemen, shouldn't their skin be much darker? They look almost sickly, which takes me out of the shot itself a bit.

M

Manatee

Carsten,
I turned down saturation a bit.
They did not look very healthy in real life but seemed to be quite happy though.

Rob

jaapv

Subscriber Member

Kids have fun! (and I get motion blur - man, did they move..- unrepentant :D)

jaapv

Subscriber Member

I could not edit the previous post any more, but I changed the colour balance.

robsteve

Subscriber

Jaap:

I think part of your problem with colour is you forgot to change the colour space from Adobe1998 to sRGB.

In regards to the motion blur, it seem to work in this image. I see you were shooting at 160iso. You probably could have picked a higher ISO if you wanted to get a bit less blur .

Robert

jaapv

Subscriber Member

Did I, Rob ?? Stupid me, I do that all the time....:( Yes I know, but I like the blur, I think it would have been too static without it. (rationalizing?, maybe...;))

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

No the blur works here. I like it , just squat about a 6 inches down to pick up the 2 kids heads or tilted up in the Background and i think it would have been perfect.