The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

It started snowing, and I thought I would photograph the falling snow with a flash. Unfortunately, the close-focus shots of the snow didn't work out -- the snow flakes looked like oddly shaped blobs.

It turned out that the flash was strong enough to light up the nearby tree branches (I was hanging out of a window). So I changed the focus to photograph the trees.

M9, 50 lux, SF58 flash
Interesting effects. I really like that second one. Nice.

DavidE

Interesting effects. I really like that second one. Nice.
Not sure if the out-of-focus snowflakes are a plus or a minus for these images.

I'll probably try it again without the snow falling, though I don't want to freak out the neighborhood with another round of SUNP (strangle, unexplainable nighttime phenomena).

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

A couple more:

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

oc garza

Lloyd, I agree with Cindy that is a wonderfully photogenic family you have there. Families are what the holidays are all about.

DaveE, it is interesting how those snow flakes are taking the shape of the lens aperture. Fun...

All these great snow shots are getting me cold. How about a warmer subject from south Texas now that the sun has returned.

M8, 75 summarit

Last edited:

Lloyd

Lloyd, I agree with Cindy that is a wonderfully photogenic family you have there. Families are what the holidays are all about.

DaveE, it is interesting how those snow flakes are taking the shape of the lens aperture. Fun...

All these great snow shots are getting me cold. How about a warmer subject from south Texas now that the sun has returned.

M8, 75 summarit
Thanks O.C. And that is a beautiful shot, and lovely bokeh. The only flowers blooming around here are Christmas cactus!

Bébèrt

Lot's of snow-fun these days. Beautifull froozen Icemachines xpixel.

SnowWire - Summarex 85mm - M9

SnowTrain? - Summarex 85mm - M9

gero

Loid, I really like the portrait & David, I will have to try a flash for night landscapes; I like those pictures too.

DavidE

Loid, I really like the portrait & David, I will have to try a flash for night landscapes; I like those pictures too.
Thanks, Gero. Maybe we can launch a new genre of photography.

Getting into the holiday spirit with the lesser-known Unicorn of Christmas Past. M9 and 50 lux.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

R

reobeverods

Last Page

I love it at the stores in our area. Even if you are rightfully one of the first in line, everyone just glares at you like you shouldnt be there. I especially loved last year when I got a digital camera on sale at KMart. Got the last one, and everybody flipped. Then, the 2GB SD cards were on sale for like 12, I think. I had to make several attempts at getting over to their location because it was a popular spot for the elderly to hang out for some reason.

Gary P

Hi Lloyd,

I love these, beautiful subject, great high key background! I love both the color and black and white. Please share your B/W conversion method, it's perfect.

Gary P

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

I love these, beautiful subject, great high key background! I love both the color and black and white. Please share your B/W conversion method, it's perfect.

Gary P
Thanks Gary. The high key background is the business end of a 60 OctoDome, mounted on a studio strobe. I set the light output of that strobe, and the one lighting her to same level. Glad you like the outcome.

My B/W comes from an action I've put together in Photoshop. In this case, I'll have to admit that I actually combined two of my b/w actions. I liked the way her hair and eyes looked better with one conversion, but preferred her skin in another, so I did one of each, created a background layer out of the one for which I preferred the hair and eyes, and a second layer using the better skin version, and then using a layer mask, I brushed out the top layer over the eyes and hair, flattened, and above is the final result. Hope that explanation makes sense.

Lloyd

Thanks, Gero. Maybe we can launch a new genre of photography.

Getting into the holiday spirit with the lesser-known Unicorn of Christmas Past. M9 and 50 lux.
LOL. Related, no doubt, to the Armadillo of Christmas Present, eh?