The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

DavidE

I wonder how you chose between the 24 & 21.
It was close.

I really like deep-focus wide-angle shots, but was concerned the 21 might be a bit too extreme for everyday use. I still have my 18mm Super-Elmar, so I figured I could use that for more extreme wide-angle shots. While the 18mm is considerably slower, I like that f/4 helps increase the DOF compared with f/1.4 (assuming there's enough light to use f/4).

The other deciding factor was size. The 21 is a bit larger and heavier than the 24 (69.5mm diameter versus 61.0mm, 66mm length versus 58.5mm, and 580 grams versus 500 grams). It's not a big difference, but did help tip the scales.

In the end, it was a best guess. I couldn't afford both and wanted to go for one or the other before the January 1 price increase.

DavidE

i wish i could do things like that with my M8

Fantastic :thumbs:
Thanks, f 1,0. And thanks for overlooking my misspelling of "peek" as "peak." Too late to change it in the original post.

I think the M8 could have made the same shot, only there would have been more noise (or less attractive noise) at ISO 1000. I lightened up the image in Lightroom, so in theory, it's somewhat more than ISO 1000. There's grain there, but it seems to work for the image rather than against it.

I was trying to recreate this image I shot last February at Circus Circus with a Sigma DP1 at f/8, 1/13 second, and ISO 100 (**warning** non-Leica image coming up):

jonoslack

HI David
I haven't said how much I've liked your Circus shots - so much goodness and interest. Perhaps it's because I'm jealous of your 24 'lux!

Matt - love the Dark side of the Moon shots - especially the 4th and last shots, wonderful. It seems to me that 1250 with the M9 really doesn't give much disadvantage at all.

all the best

DavidE

HI David
I haven't said how much I've liked your Circus shots - so much goodness and interest. Perhaps it's because I'm jealous of your 24 'lux!
Thanks, Jono. That means a lot, as I very much enjoy your photos and respect your opinion. Wish I had used the 24 lux more while I was there, but was too tired from CES most evenings (went to bed earlier than I would care to admit).

Here's a 24 lux shot that shows it can distort perspective, when given an opportunity. The 21 lux would have distorted even more, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

From my freshly re-calibrated M9...
Yikes! Those are incredible, Steve. Super sharp with great contrast and phenomenal Bokeh.

So why did you have the camera re-calibrated? Was there an issue with the M9? Or did you just want it to be the best that I could be?

Last edited:

gero

It was close.

I really like deep-focus wide-angle shots, but was concerned the 21 might be a bit too extreme for everyday use. I still have my 18mm Super-Elmar, so I figured I could use that for more extreme wide-angle shots. While the 18mm is considerably slower, I like that f/4 helps increase the DOF compared with f/1.4 (assuming there's enough light to use f/4).

The other deciding factor was size. The 21 is a bit larger and heavier than the 24 (69.5mm diameter versus 61.0mm, 66mm length versus 58.5mm, and 580 grams versus 500 grams). It's not a big difference, but did help tip the scales.

In the end, it was a best guess. I couldn't afford both and wanted to go for one or the other before the January 1 price increase.
I really like deep-focus wide-angle shots also.

Now that you have the M9 and still have the 18, it will be interesting to see if you still like it as much as you did in the M8.

Cheers

Knorp

Hi Jeff, I think I share that reason: they seem quite desperate for lunch or is it they can't believe what's being served ? :ROTFL:
Keep up the good work with your 75'lux !

One more from today. I really like this one for some reason. There was some sort of movie being filmed at Green Park, and these actors were lined up for lunch.

M9 + 75mm Summilux @ f/1.4:

Lloyd

Went to the desert over the weekend to get out of the snow for awhile. Sunrise the first morning.

M8, 35 Cron, ISO 640:

stevem8

Yikes! Those are incredible, Steve. Super sharp with great contrast and phenomenal Bokeh.

So why did you have the camera re-calibrated? Was there an issue with the M9? Or did you just want it to be the best that I could be?
Thanks! My M9 was back focusing with lenses longer than 75. I sent it in and it was adjusted and now is perfect and sharper than it ever was with ANY lens. Thanks again.

m_driscoll

Thanks everybody for the kind comments.
Osman: They were playing "Dark side of the Moon".

Jono: At ISO 1250, they needed a lot of work. I'm not going to make it a habit.

DavidE: More great stuff from Vegas. Your shots of that ride are cool. I like the way the people are secondary, almost consumed by the ride.

Steven: Very nice. And, i thought ISO 1250 was over the top. I'm not sure if i could even recognize "backfocusing". Any reference material on-line?

Lloyd: Elegant photograph. Post some more.

Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Lloyd: Elegant photograph. Post some more.
:eek: I appreciated that, Matt. I have to confess, however, that over the four days, I took this and one other image (that one just of some work our friends are doing in their vacation home. They asked me to shoot that one), so I have nothing else to show for the trip taken with the M8. We did get in almost 5 hours of trail running, and about the same amount of time on the bikes, so it was a good weekend! I took a few shots with my iPhone. Maybe I can post a few of them? :D

m_driscoll

:eek: I appreciated that, Matt. I have to confess, however, that over the four days, I took this and one other image (that one just of some work our friends are doing in their vacation home. They asked me to shoot that one), so I have nothing else to show for the trip taken with the M8. We did get in almost 5 hours of trail running, and about the same amount of time on the bikes, so it was a good weekend! I took a few shots with my iPhone. Maybe I can post a few of them? :D
Actually, that sound like a great time. I think the IPhone belong's in the "Small Senor Camera" forum.

Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

shtarka1

David, some funky,cool color & compositions! IQ is so nice!

Mr.Huff, Super sharp & contrasty! Glad your M9 is spot on!

Double Ll, Nice saturated color & comp! This is a moment we'd all like to wake up to! Hope you had a nice trip!

Matt, 3 Monster Shots! The isolation & light captured in 1 & 3 are Grand, but # 2 has that Ultra Cool feel to it! I'd like a signed, low numbered copy of the first book!