The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Alnitak

Switch over to a portrait. My daughter let me take this shot the other week with my new (to me) 75mm Summilux. Shot at f/1.4, M9:

Jeff

Alnitak

Beautiful image of a beautiful girl. Nicely done Jeff.
Thanks Lloyd. As a proud father, I am biased, so its good to hear others tell me she's beautiful! :D

As for the lens, I just love it for portraits. It's hard to take a bad image with it, IMO. I like it more than I liked the 85/1.2L II on the 5DII, and that's saying a lot. The very slight bit of softness you get as a result of the older non-aspherical design works perfectly in portraits.

Jeff

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. As a proud father, I am biased, so its good to hear others tell me she's beautiful! :D

As for the lens, I just love it for portraits. It's hard to take a bad image with it, IMO. I like it more than I liked the 85/1.2L II on the 5DII, and that's saying a lot. The very slight bit of softness you get as a result of the older non-aspherical design works perfectly in portraits.

Jeff
I like it for portraits as well. The 75 Cron ASPH is far too clinical. The only issues the 75 lux has for me is that it can be a little slow to focus, and wide open even taking a breath will move your point of focus. Neither is an issue for portraits (stationary subject, ability to use a tripod, etc), or for still life or nature photography, where I think this lens really shines. Then again, both Matt and Steve have demonstrated to us that it can work well for street shooting also, so I guess it's just an all round winner!

m_driscoll

Switch over to a portrait. My daughter let me take this shot the other week with my new (to me) 75mm Summilux. Shot at f/1.4, M9:

Jeff
Beautiful photo of a beautiful young lady, I didn't know there was a 75mm Summilux? It has a nice quality to the image. I have the Summicron. Take lots of photos. They grow up fast, move to the other side of the country, and get married! Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Alnitak

Beautiful photo of a beautiful young lady, I didn't know there was a 75mm Summilux? It has a nice quality to the image. I have the Summicron. Take lots of photos. They grow up fast, move to the other side of the country, and get married! Cheers.

Thanks! Yes, the 75 'Lux was discontinued a few years ago. I picked this one up used recently but it looks brand-new and has been six-bit coded.

Indeed, she will grow up too fast. I am the guy who took another man's daughter across the country, so while I hope she doesn't do the same, I won't be able to complain! :(

m_driscoll

Steve/Lloyd: Thanks. I didn't notice the signs until i had the shot on the screen. The intent is clear; but, their juxtaposition's funny.

Steve: Too many good lenses! Can't have them all (no that's not true, is it?)

Jklotz: Nice quality and composition on the night scene. It's clear but still has that late night feeling.

sclamb/Lloyd: Nice piano shots. The DOF is wonderful.

sclamb: For some perverse reason, I've been thinking about getting the 24 lux (when they're ever available). I have the 24mm f/2.8. It seems that a big advantage to the 24 lux is more control over DOF, as in your first shot. Low light 's an obvious plus. DavidE's Vegas shots with it have also been very compelling. I'll probably sell the 21 f/2.8 and 24 f/2.8 to fund it,

Cheers.