The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

A little experiment from this morning. All of these are with the M8 and the CV 21/4 @ f8, ISO 320.

Bottom line: I'm still not a fan of HDR in general, but it's interesting to see the differences.

1. My shot processed in Lightroom 2:

2. 5-shot HDR in Photomatix Pro:

3. Single image HDR:

Bébèrt

Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go

local cameraclub on the hunt for some street-shots got caught by a rangefinder.:p

Stuart Richardson

hahaha, they're not conspicuous at all, now are they?

Lloyd -- it is good that you are experimenting...you are a better man than I. I have a grumbly reaction to HDR, stitching and most of these other new technologies...it's funny because I am only in my thirties, but I have very little interest in most of these manipulations. Your images definitely show the possibilities though -- the second image looks quite natural for HDR, and I can certainly see people preferring it to the more contrasty versions.

roanjoh

Lloyd - great shot!! I find an almost film like quality on the way you processed this file - especially #3.

Lloyd

Thank you Stuart and roanjoh. It's interesting to see the possibilities. I find that I really don't like most HDR images, but it's nice to discover that I can draw out some detail without killing an image.

Here's one final version. For this opened both my Lightroom version, and the HDR version in Photoshop as Layers, with the former on top. Then using a Layer Mask, I allowed some of the detailed areas (e.g., the tree on the lower right) to show through, albeit at a reduced opacity. Overall, I like the result (not as a great image, but as a successful experiment).

shtarka1

Lloyd, time flies when your having fun! Endearing photos. You All Have Movie Star Looks! Happy Birthday to the Big Guy for me!