The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Ashwin... I remember seeing your camel line up shot before. An absolute fav of mine!

I really need to stop looking at this topic. It will become very expensive for me.... :D

Stuart Richardson

Actually Jono, I am going to call you out on this one, since I know you are such a talented photographer -- I think the first one you posted looks fantastic below the horizon, but the amount that you have pushed the contrast in the clouds is making them look rather odd...it seems like there are some digital artifacts there as well. Again, I only say this because you set a really high standard....for example, your second image!

ashwinrao1

Hi everyone, first thanks for your kind words and encouragement. It's much appreciated!

@ Reynolds: I definitely would love to entertain you if you are out in Seattle. It's a beautiful and photogenic city, especially in the summer

@ Panda81: Thanks so much for the very kind words

@ Jason M: Yup, the camel shot is probably my favorite capture in recent memory.

@ Jono: Great shots yourself, sir! I really love the colorized version.

@ Steve: Thanks again. It's a pleasure to post for all of you who enjoy this stuff.

@ roahjoh. Thanks as well very kind

@ Lloyd: Most of the shots (New York, New Mexico, and Vietnam) were taken with the M8, which is a lovely camera in nearly all regards. I find it to be a worthy alternative to the M9, but like the M9 more, as the kinks have been ironed out and the 18 MP really shine in full frame.

ashwinrao1

Let's give the camels a shout out...hahah:

And away they go...

Almost as if I'd never seen a camel before. They sure got some attention, but heck, I hadn't seen that many camels before...all from Egypt, near the pyramids...

Lloyd

Let's give the camels a shout out...hahah:

Almost as if I'd never seen a camel before. They sure got some attention, but heck, I hadn't seen that many camels before...all from Egypt, near the pyramids...
Nice collection. I particularly like that third one.

jonoslack

Actually Jono, I am going to call you out on this one, since I know you are such a talented photographer -- I think the first one you posted looks fantastic below the horizon, but the amount that you have pushed the contrast in the clouds is making them look rather odd...it seems like there are some digital artifacts there as well. Again, I only say this because you set a really high standard....for example, your second image!
'Cor Guv' - you got me banged to rights!
Someone posted a comment on the book I did on the M9 "anyone could have taken any of these photos on a point and shoot". I deleted it (well, one has to have some pride!). Anyway, let's delete the talented photographer.

But your comment is really useful. Usually, these type of landscape shots are processed using Vivezza and Silver efex pro. I was thinking that perhaps I could just use Aperture 3 . . seems it made it for the colour shot, but not for the black and white. I'll try a bit harder, but perhaps Nik still have the edge!

Anyway Stuart, thanks for the comment - a word of gentle criticism is worth . . . well, it's worth a LOT

jonoslack

Thanks Jono -- I am glad you took it in a friendly, constructive way as I intended it! I always look forward to seeing more of your photos.
Thank YOU Stuart. I don't suppose any of us are beyond a little constructive 'observation'. I'm certainly not.

When I get back to my pictures I'll try that one again and see if I can satisfy you more :)

jonoslack

Hi There . . . .
one of these was processed in Silver efex pro
one was processed in Aperture 3 alone

comments please :D

Stuart Richardson

I am guessing the second is Aperture alone, because there is a lot more noise in the cloud areas. The first image is interesting in that it almost looks solarized...the clouds have a tonality that is rather unusual. Have you considered a red filter Jono? It might allow you to get the strong cloud effect you are after, only in-camera so that you have more flexibility in raw processing.

ashwinrao1

I am guessing that # 2 is Nik.There's better shadow detail and, but in general, the second shot seems brighter than the first. Hard for me to tell with these web sized images....Agree with Stuart that the second shot has more noise in the cloud areas...