The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

shtarka1

Today's post to my blog. M9 + 28mm chron.

Woody...Tone,composition,timing...Love It! Congrats!
A couple more from my walk around London yesterday. I love the way the old and new are juxtaposed in London. This is St. Vedast Foster Lane, not far from St. Paul's. M9 + 50mm Summilux, f/5.6, 1/400s, ISO 160.

And then I just couldn't resist the primroses. M9 + 50mm Summilux, f/1.4, 1/250s, ISO 160.

Jeff
Jeff, I needed these! I think we are up to 6 inches of rain in Boston! Wonderful color & selective focus!

ashwinrao1

My gosh, go away for 2 days, and there are 2 new pages of amazing images!!! :bugeyes: :thumbs:

Everyone, GREAT Shots, and at the fear of forgetting someone...

--Steve: Goshdangit man, that picture frame shot is truly perfection. Wow! Magic, pure magic, exactly how I'd like to see it.

-- Jeff: Lovely bokeh on that flower shot!

-- Woody: Great composition, timing, and sense of static vs motion

-- Dierk: Pure genius, my friend! Amazing work you are putting up here...to name a few, the sky shots, the cracked earth shots, the bamboo capture...all magnificent

-- Knorp: The couch series is stellar

-- O.C. Lovely

-- Bob: Lovely portrait

-- Jaap: Nice candle and dynamic range work

Sorry if I left you out. So many wonderful shots that i missed some

m_driscoll

Osman/Steve/Lloyd: thanks.

M9, 18mm Distagon, f/11, single exposure, fully processed in Capture One, sharpened for web in Photoshop CS4 :)
Oops left 35mm Summilux ASPH profile selected by accident, really need to code that lux :p
Thrice: Beautiful image! Where is it?

So, on Sunday I decided to do a walk around the west side of the City of London to photograph some of the many churches designed by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of 1666. There were 87 parish churches burned in the Great Fire, and Christopher Wren and company rebuilt 50 of them, as well as St. Paul's Cathedral. The architecture is very distinctive, and yet each church is unique. Many were burned out in the Blitz, but most of those were rebuilt again. Here's three shots of St. Bride's, off of Fleet Street. The steeple of this church was the model for the modern tiered wedding cake.

Jeff
Jeff: Beautiful images. That's make a great series. I can see a big advantage to being in London by yourself with some spare time.

Hoi Jaap,
didn't see that particular truck last time, although I do recognize the text :confused: Good shot !
BTW - if you decide to go Friday and you find this board, please write down a message with a piece of chalk and then make a picture of it ! Too bad I couldn't find any chalk ...
Kind regards,
Bart.
Knorp: Love the selective focus. Is there really a pub there?

A couple from the weekend. Experimenting with post processing.
Anyone care to explain the angular cut on a couple of the OOF lights?
boymerang: It's a faded color photograph. Not sure it works for me. But, that's just me. The angular cur is weird!

in the 'mercadillo' of Puntagorda, La Palma
Dierk: You actually used a Leica to take that first photo? Very cool.The Leica purist in me really likes the last shot with the striped shirts.

Here is a strange little portrait, catching a friend in thought...a little zombie like, but I like it. I probably like it BECAUSE it is a little zombie like...

M9, 35/1.4 ASPH at 1.4, 1/15th, ISO 1250. The M9 sure does low light a lot better than the M8 did! This was with no luminance noise reduction.
Stuart: Like the portrait and the look.

M9, Summilux 50 asph @ 1.4
Jaap: Lovely still life. The quality of light from the candles is great.

Today's post to my blog. M9 + 28mm chron.
Woody: Elegantly simple image. Well composed with a lot to look at.

Jeff; One of my favorite churches. Nice images.

Steve: Nice treatment to the photograph image. Really evocative of the era of the portraits (based on her hairstyle).

Ashwin: You've been wandering around Fremont. Your selective focus and PP really distills the essence out of the subject. Nice.

Cheers, Matt (Geez this turned out very long. I'm going to have to quit my day job!)

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ashwinrao1

By the way, Matt. I missed that you took the picture of the dog in the window. Awesome stuff. Was that at Pike's place?

By the way, great seeing you at your workspace today! Thanks to GetDPI!

Alnitak

Another church from my Sunday walk; in all I think I photographed seven or eight churches. This is St. Clement Danes. It's now an RAF chapel/church, and was repaired after being burned out in the Blitz. They actually left behind shrapnel damage on the exterior of the church as a reminder of the Blitz. There has been a church of some type on this site since the 9th century, when the Danes ruled much of England.

Imposing when standing at the entrance (I think that was the point). M9 + 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, f/5.6, 1/1000s, ISO 160

Interior, M9 + 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, f/2.8, 1/24s, ISO 160. Note the tiles; each black one is a regimental emblem from the RAF.

Shrapnel damage from a Nazi bomb in the Blitz. M9 + 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, f/2.8, 1/24s, ISO 160.

If you stand back, you can see where the bomb fell based on the pattern of the shrapnel damage. Now that I think about it, that last one may have worked better as a B&W image, but I'm not much of a B&W guy. :D

Jeff

thrice

Matt, I took that picture in Western Australia, near my house at a beach called Iluka. Thanks for your compliments :) Really like the contrast in your 35/1.4 asph shots, reminded me how good that lens is, and makes me want to go shoot with mine!

shtarka1

Awesome treatment, Steve. Family?
Thanks Lloyd! Yes, my wife's parents. Her mom past last year & her dad 10 years ago.
My gosh, go away for 2 days, and there are 2 new pages of amazing images!!! :bugeyes: :thumbs:

--Steve: Goshdangit man, that picture frame shot is truly perfection. Wow! Magic, pure magic, exactly how I'd like to see it.

Sorry if I left you out. So many wonderful shots that i missed some
Thank You My Friend!
Osman/Steve/Lloyd: thanks.

Steve: Nice treatment to the photograph image. Really evocative of the era of the portraits (based on her hairstyle).

Cheers, Matt (Geez this turned out very long. I'm going to have to quit my day job!)

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Appreciate it Matt!

shtarka1

Ashwin, Always tough to pick a favorite with you! Maybe the "Devil" image...(Forgive Me Father)!:)

Matt...B&W's are Smokin!

Jeff, Excellent Set & History!

dierk

@Jaap, wonderful still live

@Steve, thanks. Yes, it is getting warmer now

@Ashwin
thanks a lot
great B/W shots from your weekend, I like the selective DOF of the wide open Leica lenses and the way, you use it

@m_driscoll
You actually used a Leica to take that first photo? Very cool.
thanks, yes, it was the Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4
here is the image with full exif and here an other one like this (the aperture is wrong, was f/22

This one is painted with light
that means:
camara on a tripod, shutter on 8 sec (I never needed B), ISO automatic off, lights off
after starting the shutter, I use a pocket lamp (normal works best for me) and 'paint' the light over the object from different positions

I found this technic at Emil Shild, he does it with large format cameras!
Pictures like a dream, here is his site have a look

Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4