The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

DavidE

More 18mm shots from my recent trip to Vegas.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Lloyd

More 18mm shots from my recent trip to Vegas.
Great stuff David. I'm telling you, Leica should give you a commission... I have a feeling they'll see a few 18mm lenses sold because of the great images you've posted. :thumbup:

DavidE

Great stuff David. I'm telling you, Leica should give you a commission... I have a feeling they'll see a few 18mm lenses sold because of the great images you've posted. :thumbup:
Thanks, Lloyd. Of course, I'm not posting any of my awful photos with the 18mm (mostly due to me still learning how to use it on an M9). Being highly selective makes it look like a winner every time.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

endre novak

Thanks, Lloyd. Of course, I'm not posting any of my awful photos with the 18mm (mostly due to me still learning how to use it on an M9). Being highly selective makes it look like a winner every time.

excellent set my fav this time.

Lloyd

More good ones, David. I especially like that first shot.

m_driscoll

Thanks for the previous comments, Ashwin, Steve, Endre, Jeff and Matt.

Nice shots Matt. I did hear a rumor once that Leica lenses do go past f2? ;) It's like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and the car salesman never stop for gas as they live on the exhilarating edge seeing how far below E they can drive the car before it will run out of gas.

Kurt
Kurt: Thanks. I just discovered the other day that the aperture ring turns!

Like a character from one of my daughter's Stephanie Meyer's books, I'm becoming addicted to night shooting.

Kurt: Nice. Be careful out there.

David: +1. Great images. That lens has been available at my camera store. What's put me off was the f/3.8. Clearly doesn't affect your excellent photos. You probably already said; but, do you use a viewfinder?

David: This one really seems to pick up the sense of the large space. Your viewpoint and the 18mm really do it well.

M8, Elmarit M 28

Endre: Good eye. The reflections at the bottom really populate this image.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

DavidE

David: +1. Great images. That lens has been available at my camera store. What's put me off was the f/3.8. Clearly doesn't affect your excellent photos. You probably already said; but, do you use a viewfinder?
The 3.8 can be limiting, especially at night. On the plus side (for me, anyway), because you can't shoot at 1.4 or 2.0, you do get a better DOF. Since I have a 24 lux now, I figure I can use that at night, unless, as on this trip, I want to push the envelope and see what the lens can do. Mostly I shot at ISO 160, but did bump it up as high as ISO 1000 occasionally to see how much grain would show up (not very much).

I sprang for the 18mm Leica viewfinder last year when I purchased the lens. It wasn't cheap, and there are less expensive alternatives. I could get by on the M8 without using a viewfinder, but with the M9, you really need it. Since I used the built-in viewfinder only for focusing and checking the meter, I kept a Leica 1.25x magnifier on all the time to help me focus.

Last edited:

shtarka1

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
David E. Thanks for the encouragement. You should never leave Los Vegas - your style resonates with Los Vegas - your images are sensational.

ashwinrao1

David: Lovely! I am awed by how you captured the geometry of the images that you saw. Lovely!

Kurt: More gentle magic from everyday life from you. I love it!

Endre: Love the escalator shot. The figure in the distance is one of my favorite compositional themes, and you nailed this one. Great!

Matt: I love these images. It's funny that this is the scenery that I breeze by 300 times yearly on my bike ride home, and yet, you find a new and wonderful way to present the city scape! I will be seeing my bike ride home in new ways. Love the clouds and toning in these captures.

m_driscoll

The 3.8 can be limiting, especially at night. On the plus side (for me, anyway), because you can't shoot at 1.4 or 2.0, you do get a better DOF. Since I have a 24 lux now, I figure I can use that at night, unless, as on this trip, I want to push the envelope and see what the lens can do. Mostly I shot at ISO 160, but did bump it up as high as ISO 1000 occasionally to see how much grain would show up (not very much).

I sprang for the 18mm Leica viewfinder last year when I purchased the lens. It wasn't cheap, and there are less expensive alternatives. I could get by on the M8 without using a viewfinder, but with the M9, you really need it. Since I used the built-in viewfinder only for focusing and checking the meter, I kept a Leica 1.25x magnifier on all the time to help me focus.
David: Thanks for the information. Your technique certainly works based on the fine results.

Love this!

Awesome Matt!
Steve: Thanks. Hope you're not being flooded out?

+1 to both.:clap:
Endre: Thank you.

Blog entry from yesterday. Back at Grand Central Terminal. M9 + 24 lux at f1.4.
Woody: Nice capture.

Matt: I love these images. It's funny that this is the scenery that I breeze by 300 times yearly on my bike ride home, and yet, you find a new and wonderful way to present the city scape! I will be seeing my bike ride home in new ways. Love the clouds and toning in these captures.
Ashwin: Thanks. Did you see the clouds tonight!

From a recording session earlier in the week:
boymerang: The tonality of these photos really suits the subject. The light and shadow in the first is really great!

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

eleanorbrown

Just got my M9 yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out! I've never had a leica before so all this is new to me. This is one of my first tries...An old mandolin in my house. Not a great image and not what I usually photograph but have so enjoyed this forum I wanted to post an image. Will have more to post when I'm more proficient!

I never shoot high iso but did with this one. 35mm Cron ASPH. Shot at f2 with iso of 1250 handheld at 1/30 sec. Eleanor

Lloyd

Just got my M9 yesterday and couldn't wait to try it out! I've never had a leica before so all this is new to me. This is one of my first tries...An old mandolin in my house. Not a great image and not what I usually photograph but have so enjoyed this forum I wanted to post an image. Will have more to post when I'm more proficient!

I never shoot high iso but did with this one. 35mm Cron ASPH. Shot at f2 with iso of 1250 handheld at 1/30 sec. Eleanor
That's a beauty, Eleanor. Looking forward to much, much more! :thumbup: