The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comments, Matt, Ashwin and Bishop.

Bart, you have a keen eye for capturing people as they are lost in thought ... almost as if you are trying to understand what they are thinking. The third-party viewer is thereby drawn into the silent conversation.

Jono, your black and whites are always very nice. You have a unique way of bringing us into your very interesting home.

Very nice pano, Scott. Keep posting.

Daniel, you have such a wonderful split personality. Gorgeous long exposures mixed with rapid fire concert shots.

Matt, you put that magic back into old-school with that elmarit. It's amazing how different eras of Leica lenses produce their own subtle, yet distinctive looks.

Great find, Steve ... and excellent observational humor.

Kurt

m_driscoll

Collectors Items...
Steve: Nice eye! Camo underwear could be useful on my next "Bear" trip.

Thanks for the comments, Matt, Ashwin and Bishop...
Matt, you put that magic back into old-school with that elmarit. It's amazing how different eras of Leica lenses produce their own subtle, yet distinctive looks...
Kurt
Kurt: Thank you. i am pleased with the way that lens renders photographs.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ashwinrao1

Hi guys,
Wonderful work. Daniel. I love your very unique work with the M system..Lovely use of the GND filter.

Matt and Steve, you guys are up to your usual antics of producing wonderful captures.

Bart, lovely environmental portraits

Jono, great B &W....

For any of you who I may have left out, it's my fault. The thread continues to boggle my mind.... a few to share myself in my next post...

ashwinrao1

Some from last night at the Lucid Jazz Club...great band, great beverages, great friends...just a nice time. Images taken with the M9 and Noct 0.95...Let me just say that it was dark as night in there. ISO's were typically 1250-2500, shot wide open...

ashwinrao1

And while I am at it, a few more to share from prior travels with the M9:

A couple that I liked with the D-Lux 4, to go with the theme...apologies for posting here...

ashwinrao1

Opinion. Just got some feedback that these lacked life due to lack of motion. Any comments? This individual said that the life of the jazz club should have been captured with motion. I dunno, I kinda like my shots as is...

Some from last night at the Lucid Jazz Club...great band, great beverages, great friends...just a nice time. Images taken with the M9 and Noct 0.95...Let me just say that it was dark as night in there. ISO's were typically 1250-2500, shot wide open...

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Ashwin, here's my opinion ... photography is so many different things to different people. It can be about emotion, mood, energy, passion, life and death, humor, euphoria, suffering, pain ... and those are just some of the emotional components. It can also be used to record the essence and detail of an event or moment.

One person may connect with motion blur while another responds to the story. And yet another maybe carefully studying the detail in a sign at the back of the image to try to comprehend mood or context.

The internet is the great disseminator of opinions, some fabulous and many ridiculous. Trying to keep it in context is always key. It's always a bit of risk to excitedly put yourself out there exposing what you saw or experienced only to have it whiz by your head like a two handed backhand from Andre Agassi.

Look for and value the opinions of those who try to see the world through your eyes before they pass judgement or issue a critique. Then you can appropriately assess the strength and weaknesses of their criticism.

My guess is that the comments came from dpreview ... the wild, wild west of opinion mongering and online photography forum bullying. Sorry for the editorial rant.

Kurt

ashwinrao1

Thank you, Kurt. You are right. It was DPReview...the OP backtracked a bit on his second comment. I completely agree that so much of what one gets out of an image is subjective...one pleases the eye of one doesn't grab the other's attention....

Alas, so it is with the internet....

Speaking of grabbing attention, the f/0.95 has grabbed mine. Thanks for the advice on the ND filter...it has really helped!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
No problem, Ashwin. I've had a few images shot down on dpr ... some because they deserved it and others because some random poster wanted to make a point about shooting film, too expensive glass or something random like the color of grass and sky in the upper midwest.

The ND filter option is amazing in that it opens up so many possibilities to utilize the narrow depth of field.

The jazz club images are interesting because of the mood you've created with the shallow depth of field, noise, etc. I too like shooting with the noctilux in such settings because you can capture the feeling of the room with such stealth.

Your Egypt photos rock, excellent stuff. I really love the one with the chipped toe.

Kurt