The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

f 10

I'll have to catch up with what's above later. I'm on my way to the dentist. But, here's something for those of you who haven't had lunch: the Post Alley "Wall of Gum". Populist, protected, Art (capital "A"?). Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.
a fantastic series - thanks for sharing

f 10

Thanks for all your comments...On this last trip to Madagascar, I went on a sailboat : I did experiment some problems inherent to any electronic device :
1) My Lexar 8Go SD mixed some pictures (2 in 1) or store them very badly so they were lost !! So bad.
2) The battery loader 220V cord suddenly stopped working ; happily I could use the 12V entry to load batteries
3) So many pictures to take ! I miss some Go of SD cards ; so I finally took 10.5mp Jpeg ..

Guess what ? I have brought my good 'old' Leica mP with me and a bunch of Velvia rolls : I was so happy, no batteries, no SD cards, plenty of film, so light in the hand, so discret ; a real pleasure.
And now the rolls are developped, I found the colors so rich and well balanced there is almost no 'DNG work' to achieve : only the fastiduous scan.

Finally I found these two camera extraordinary complementary , in wilderness !!!
When these are scanned, I'll share.

Just for waiting some Cape of Good Hope shots, a place I love

Hout bay lighthouse :
i like the colors :thumbs:

m_driscoll

Shots from Madagascar with the M9 :
Mangrove in the morning :

Children in a little coastal fisher village :
... and education :
Stefan: These are awesome! The mangrove is a beautiful landscape. I like the colors and the horizontal symmetry. The shots of the children are exceptional. Lot's of life and penetrating looks. I esp. like the last. Madagascar is one of those places that i know nothing about. i'll have to do a little research.

...Matt: Thanks. Yes and No. The reason they asked me indeed was a great honor for me. The photography part...dreaded it, still dread it. It was at the intercon ( seven continents ! ). Dorchester..would sure have run into some people I know. ;)
Regards.
rayyan: An honor, and i'm sure your photos were excellent. I know exactly where that hotel is. For some reason (wife), we always have to lunch (once per trip) at the Hard Rock, just around the corner.

Matt: beautiful photography. That color again. Repeat, it is one of the colors
that I struggle with. If you tell me how it is done, I shall be grateful
Then the use of THAT lens...I have seen many ' use ' it. Like a pair of scissors
Some cut paper with with it. Some can do Origami magic.
I see the ' Origami ' touch here.
Best.
rayyan: You're too kind! I don't think that i do anything with that color that nature didn't intend? I'll have a look at the raw files and get back to you. It's certainly "softer" then the f0.95 and the new 24mm f/1.4. It's interesting that it has a split personality.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfollio.com

m_driscoll

Nice:thumbup:
This picture remember me to my trip 3years ago to the normandie.
They originated in the military cemetery in the invasion coast
First is thru a window - all other outdoor
f 1,0: Very well done!:salute:

Sunday's post. A perfect summer day. M9 + 24mm lux.
Woody: Nice first person image! That specular highlight's perfect. :salute:

A few street scenes from Üsküdar (Scutari), an old district on the Asian side of İstanbul. People naturally oblivious of their historical backdrops, feeling perfectly at home near centuries old works of architecture, some by the Great Sinan.
M8 with 24mm Elmarit.
Best,
Osman

Osman: These are great street scenes. They convey a sense of the area and the people's relationship to their context. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Skipped a page!!! :confused:
Yamas,Stef,Kurt,Matt,Woody.....Bravo!!!:salute:
All three are superb, Matt. In addition to the standout color and sharpness, the composition is spot-on. Bravo!
Steve/David: Thank you! :D :D

Fpr any of you out east, I will be in Boston visiting friends from June 9-12th, and may have some free time during the days of the 10-11th...if you are free, I plan to roam around Boston taking pics with the M9...
Ashwin: Have fun. You're going to miss Glazer's Photo Festival.

Thanks for all your comments...On this last trip to Madagascar, I went on a sailboat : I did experiment some problems inherent to any electronic device :
1) My Lexar 8Go SD mixed some pictures (2 in 1) or store them very badly so they were lost !! So bad.
2) The battery loader 220V cord suddenly stopped working ; happily I could use the 12V entry to load batteries
3) So many pictures to take ! I miss some Go of SD cards ; so I finally took 10.5mp Jpeg ..

Guess what ? I have brought my good 'old' Leica mP with me and a bunch of Velvia rolls : I was so happy, no batteries, no SD cards, plenty of film, so light in the hand, so discret ; a real pleasure.
And now the rolls are developped, I found the colors so rich and well balanced there is almost no 'DNG work' to achieve : only the fastiduous scan.

Finally I found these two camera extraordinary complementary , in wilderness !!!
When these are scanned, I'll share.
Just for waiting some Cape of Good Hope shots, a place I love

Hout bay lighthouse :
Stefan: These are also great! The tone and layering in this one's wonderful. Look forward to seeing some film photos.

Monday's post. M9 + 35mm chron Asph. Three frames stitched.
woody: Very nice! Do you handhold and stitch in CS Photomerge? I tried one last night. It's almost magical.

Cheers, Matt

http://mndriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

That is very kewl. Great shots all; I especially like this one.
A quick grab from this morning.
M8, Hexanon 90/2.8:
Lloyd: Thank you. That's a great Japanese Maple photo. The leaves are so finely detailed, translucent, and colored.

Art Lives Here on these pages ... as you've all demonstrated pixelshooter, f1, Lloyd, Matt, Rayyan, Endre, Steve, Boymerang, James, Yamas and Woody over the past several pages.
Man, Stef, you are rocking that film.
But it also lives on the bags leaving the gift shop at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Kurt
Kurt: Nice eye. I have an "All is Art" photo that I took the other day and will post later. Coincidence, or, something else?

A beloved uncle passed away over the weekend. Too young; totally unexpected. His funeral is today, but commitments make it impossible to attend. We drove 5 hours yesterday to go give his family hugs at the viewing. This brooding sky greeted us as we left the viewing to drive home at 9pm. Seemed appropriate somehow.
Sad news, sorry. A very appropiate image, though.Endre
Lloyd: Sorry to hear that. +1, definitely an appropriate image.

Incredible set!!
Endre!!! This is simply glorious! Amazing image, in every respect. :bugeyes:
(And thank you for your kind comments.)
Endre: Thank you! +1. A very moody photo that you have to look into to be rewarded. Great PP! :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Matt....You Scored The 24, 1.4! You're Much Worse Than Me!:D These Are Splendid With Gorgeous IQ! Congrats!
My Bad...:eek: I Know You Have This Lens...I Thought You Grabbed The Nikon ...Wrong Forum:eek:...Although I Know You Will...:D!
Steve: Thank you! And, you're self-correcting.:salute:

As always, really fantastic images on this thread - a big congrats to all the posters who continue to provide inspiration.
Here are two from the M8 + 5cm/1.5 Summarit.
cmb: I like the both; but, esp. this one! Great composition, contrast and clarity. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Luscious black & white tones and bokeh, CMB.
Here's a shot as I wondering around during Memorial Day.
While the other speakers on the dais prepared their Memorial Day speeches, lost in reverential thought, the old veteran stood silent and motionless for the duration of the entire twenty minute parade review.
Kurt
Kurt: Nice capture. The OOF works very well. But, why is the Marine reading over the airman's shoulder?

took a short walk around the neighborhood earlier this evening...
Leica M9, Noctilux 1.0, wide open of course :)
panda81: Nicely done with the vignetting. Appears very natural but makes the bike glow. :thumbup:

Much to comment on but only time for a quick post...be back soon!
Another from this past weekend...appreciate your comments and thoughts as I am still undecided on this one. Perhaps, I need to live with it for a bit...
Bishop: I quite like it. The tree detail contrasted against the white bench is terrific. The composition is well balanced. The bench to the back is a little distracting, though. You can't see the bottom of that bench and it's maybe too close in value to the front bench. What if it was a little darker?

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Worked on this this morning and wanted to share; 4-shot pano with the M9 and 90mm lens.
Don
Don...Tremendous!!!
Thank you very much! I'm currently working on a 50x80 (2+gb file) from near the same area.
Don
That, sir, is what we call "a STUNNER"!! :bugeyes::bugeyes:
Don: +1, +1, Very impressive! The colors and light are fantastic. :salute:

a fantastic series - thanks for sharing
F 1,0: Thank you. :D Your last photo of the trees is intriguing. Very subtle DOF changes. :toocool:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Skipped a page!!! :confused:

Steve/David: Thank you! :D :D

Ashwin: Have fun. You're going to miss Glazer's Photo Festival.

Stefan: These are also great! The tone and layering in this one's wonderful. Look forward to seeing some film photos.

woody: Very nice! Do you handhold and stitch in CS Photomerge? I tried one last night. It's almost magical.

Cheers, Matt

http://mndriscoll.zenfolio.com
Matt - most of my stitches are handheld. It works well with three frames but not more. Shoot with manual exposure and WB so they don't change from frame to frame.. Use the frame lines or center spot to guide on a line as you pan. Distinctly stop for each frame. Overlap by about 1/3 -- use the center spot or an inside frame to guide you on this. Take in a little more of the image than you need because you'll need to crop off the ragged edges in post. I use PTGui Pro, Autopano Giga and PS - if one has trouble one of the others will probably work (on the sculpture in front of the Seagram Building for example PTGui couldn't deal with the fact that the Seagram Building was out of focus but Autopano worked fine - but PTGui is usually more reliable on matching up straight architectural lines). That's all there is to it.

m_driscoll

Matt - most of my stitches are handheld. It works well with three frames but not more. Shoot with manual exposure and WB so they don't change from frame to frame.. Use the frame lines or center spot to guide on a line as you pan. Distinctly stop for each frame. Overlap by about 1/3 -- use the center spot or an inside frame to guide you on this. Take in a little more of the image than you need because you'll need to crop off the ragged edges in post. I use PTGui Pro, Autopano Giga and PS - if one has trouble one of the others will probably work (on the sculpture in front of the Seagram Building for example PTGui couldn't deal with the fact that the Seagram Building was out of focus but Autopano worked fine - but PTGui is usually more reliable on matching up straight architectural lines). That's all there is to it.
woody: Thanks. I'll do a little more research. Your stitches are very natural. I'll take another look at the ones on your blog. Cheers, Matt