The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

A little time, morning light and roses way beyond bloom. Question for you all...how many of you have kept your spouse from getting rid of an arrangement of flowers because of a potential image you have planned?? ;^)

This really is some masterful work, Bishop. :salute:

Lloyd

Matt: I think this is a glorious shot.

You my friend have consistently displayed the ' knack ' of bringing to the viewer photo captures that are around them. That is a hallmark of a great photographic eye.

' there is nothing to photograph ' people say. They travel far and wide to capture postcards. They could have saved the money and bought the postcards at home.

' nothing to photograph '.

To them I say...See what Matt does. Learn from him. If you can emulate
even a little of what he shares with us..then you are getting started. Study what Matt does
is the best advice I can give anybody wanting to be a better photog.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful city with us.
Matt: Rayyan hit the nail squarely on the head.

Lloyd

Venice: Recently.

Rayyan, you take photographs of others, why not mine. Question. Fight. Run.

Ayesha, I said, I have taken thousands of photographs of you all over the world.

Rayyan, she said, I am always a part of something in those photographs.

Not true, I said, squeamishly.

Ayesha, I said. I do not want photographs of you. But About you. You make the place what it is for me. Without you the place would be barren. By capturing your person, I capture the spirit of the place!..

Fight postponed..for now.
Rayyan: This one made me smile for sure! You have a gift, my friend. Heart, Art and Discretion... a perfect combination.

Lloyd

It's relatively easier for me to become unseen in the streets with a Leica M, compared to the larger DSLR's. Despite my bulky figure, I can usually blend in the crowd this way.
The weather was wet, sky overcast, just a lazy Saturday in spring.
M8 with 28'cron.
Best,
Osman

Freddie goes home:

Taking grandma to the bazaar:

These really are wonderful shots, Osman. These two in particular. Thank you for sharing this amazing city of yours with us.

Lloyd

Just wanted to share a quick one from today. My brother's wife, and their oldest grandchild. (That's my brother in the background).

M8, 28 Cron @ f4 (pretty much straight out of the camera other than a slight WB correction):

m_driscoll

It's relatively easier for me to become unseen in the streets with a Leica M, compared to the larger DSLR's. Despite my bulky figure, I can usually blend in the crowd this way.
The weather was wet, sky overcast, just a lazy Saturday in spring.
M8 with 28'cron. Best, Osman
Freddie goes home:
Taking grandma to the bazaar:
He's evidently very satisfied with himself, probably for good reason:
Return from shopping:
Osman: These are great! This last one is masterful! I love the colors and her position in the frame. Thank you for sharing! :thumbup: :salute:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Just wanted to share a quick one from today. My brother's wife, and their oldest grandchild. (That's my brother in the background).

M8, 28 Cron @ f4 (pretty much straight out of the camera other than a slight WB correction):

Great framing, color and sharpness is perfect.

Tommy

m_driscoll

Matt: I think this is a glorious shot.
You my friend have consistently displayed the ' knack ' of bringing to the viewer photo captures that are around them. That is a hallmark of a great photographic eye.
' there is nothing to photograph ' people say. They travel far and wide to capture postcards. They could have saved the money and bought the postcards at home.
' nothing to photograph '.
To them I say...See what Matt does. Learn from him. If you can emulate
even a little of what he shares with us..then you are getting started. Study what Matt does
is the best advice I can give anybody wanting to be a better photog.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful city with us.
rayyan: Thank you, but, you are much too generous with your compliments.:eek:

Venice: Recently.
Rayyan, you take photographs of others, why not mine. Question. Fight. Run.
Ayesha, I said, I have taken thousands of photographs of you all over the world.
Rayyan, she said, I am always a part of something in those photographs.
Not true, I said, squeamishly.
Ayesha, I said. I do not want photographs of you. But About you. You make the place what it is for me. Without you the place would be barren. By capturing your person, I capture the spirit of the place!..
Fight postponed..for now.
rayyan: Terrific photo. And, as you said, we've seen many other equally beautiful photos of your beautiful wife!

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Decided to experiment with a different approach to my processing and came up with this..

"Just a tree" Leica M9 Summarit 90mm
Don
Don: : Beautiful photo. Makes me happy that despite our ravenous ways, we still have places like that to photograph.

ladies solex club on tour ... :)
knorp: Had to google "solex". Interesting. Nice photos; better looking then the average biker gang.

Matt: Rayyan hit the nail squarely on the head.
Lloyd: Thank you. :D

These are beautiful b/w images, John. A timeless quality to them.
John: +1. What Lloyd said. Like discovering them in an old magazine.

Lloyd: Excellent capture. Dynamic and balanced. The line of the columns and your brother lead right to your sister-in-law and their grandchild. DOF, composition, smiles, pp - :salute: Belongs on their wall (and yours)!

Cheers, Matt

otumay

Matt and Lloyd, your generous remarks are much motivating. Thank you kindly.
Lloyd, the portrait of your brother's wife and and grandchild is perfect, as always.

otumay

Istanbul..the Anatolian side...

I love the Lonely Planet guides. Ayesha loves the Frommer's guides.
I read them all. I make notes. never carry them.

Now I know which places to avoid like the plague. They recommend. I avoid.

They want me to stay there, I stayed at the Asian side of the Bosphorus. Why?
Ask Osman....

Good breakfast, banks of the Bosphorus....

Rayyan, I am going to Eridene after breakfast. To see Sinan Bin Abdul Mennan. Known to others as Koca Sinan. I shall know him later..for 2 weeks.

Me , I was going to somewhere you will never find in your Barnes and Nobles.

I knew the place, not its name. nobody stopped there; no tourists, no locals.
Except those that were there. Those looking for work. The Unemployed.

I spent the whole morning there. Heard a lot of stories. made friends.
Better than the tourist hordes.

Stay on the Asian side; What does NG or Frommer's know?
Rayyan, your shots and narrative not just shows your mastery in both fields, but your skill in blending into different cultures. I know this does not come automatically by reading, guides or deeper sources, but from the heart. And a big thank you for presenting the city I love so dearly and my citizens in a heart-warming way.

A small contribution to what you have written:
Yes, the Asian side of the city is different. It is peaceful, laid back, gracious and a little reserved, perhaps. It is a pity that it does not get the mention it deserves in tourist guides.

Koca Sinan (Koca means grand) is the greatest architect of our country. He (and thus we) was lucky to have lived for nearly a century, during half of which he was the master architect of the Sultan. The city you mention, Edirne (Adrianapolis from ancient times) has his most remarkable masterpiece, the Selimiye Mosque.

Lastly, I was unable to guess the place you've met the unemployed, Tophane, probably. It is relatively easier these days to come across them, with the unemployment figures reaching all-time highs.

John Black

These are beautiful b/w images, John. A timeless quality to them.
Both structures/sites are over 100 years old; the big building is the Decatur Baptist College built-in 1897-1898. The university still exists, but I think the building is a museum now. The gas station was opened around 1929 and there is a small inn behind, built in the late 1880-1890's. I couldn't get any images of the inn because it faces east and the sun was setting.

For toning, after levels edits, etc., etc., the last layer is a C41 post-processing curve (in Photoshop), the layer is set to "Color" and the opacity at 18-22%. It works very well for adding a nice warmth that doesn't look like the usual sepia Photoshop filter effect.

More pictures from Decatur, TX here.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Since we're on an Istanbul trend ... I'm sure that Osman can describe the lighting conditions :)

Basillica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarnıcı)
M9 & 21/1.4 ISO 1000

gero

It is really nice to see what everybody is doing through this thread. I like in particular those Istanbul shots and the stitches (I will have to try this some time).