The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Thanks Helen- and what's thus I hear about a get together at Coney Island? Count me in, if there's any way it matches up with my schedule. I'd love to do that, haven't been there in nearly 40 years. (I was an infant....I wish). best...Peter

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Soooooo Cooool.... Great shots .......CHARLES -CMB

I recommended 'Coney Island' for our NY outing.......
but no one seemed interested
haven't been there since I was a small child
but I have heard the 'Mermaid Parade' every year is something NOT to be missed
Have you been to that
Perhaps we should shoot it
TY Helen

I have never been to the Mermaid Parade. The date is:
Parade Begins at 2 PM on Saturday June 21
Has anyone gone to this? Sounds like it would be a nice event to shoot but I wonder if it is just too crazy. I'm willing to try but would like to hear from someone who as bee to it.

cmb_

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jaap, This is the lens that I (stupid me:angry:) sold. I thought I wanted an ASPH. I had to beg to get the pre-ASPH back. I won't make that mistake again.
Charles (cmb) gets the same look from his Summarit 50 f/1.5. I think you have that lens, don't you?

Tim, thank you.
Really nice shot Cindy. Yes, I have that Summarit and I would say it has a similar look. I had a chance to shoot with a 50 pre for a few minutes when I was in Carmel and I feel it is definitely a few notches better than the Summarit and the 50 pre will deliver the goods in almost any situation. I do love my Summarit, though.

jaapv

Subscriber Member

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jaap, This is the lens that I (stupid me:angry:) sold. I thought I wanted an ASPH. I had to beg to get the pre-ASPH back. I won't make that mistake again.
Charles (cmb) gets the same look from his Summarit 50 f/1.5. I think you have that lens, don't you?

Tim, thank you.
Indeed I do; and I like it a lot too.But the oof areas can be a lot more wild than the Summilux.
This was my Summarit last year. I need to spray my roses:(
It is imo not precise enough to get the 3-D bokeh you achieved. For that I would look to my 75 Summilux, which is of similar character.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

TY Helen

I have never been to the Mermaid Parade. The date is:
Parade Begins at 2 PM on Saturday June 21
Has anyone gone to this? Sounds like it would be a nice event to shoot but I wonder if it is just too crazy. I'm willing to try but would like to hear from someone who as bee to it.
Last year at the Maine Workshops ,Jay Maisel had a series of images he took of this parade. The key is to get there hours before it starts and visit the staging area. I did a quick search on the parade and in the FAQ ..for $5 per camera you can have access to this area. Jay indicated that since the people in the parade are obviously showing off ..they are happy to be photographed..but all the action is leading up to the event.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I see now that the bokeh from the summarit 1.5 is not quite as smooth (in this case). I love the "Unused Opening" shot.

jaapv

Subscriber Member

Sunday Afternoon in my Garden

M8, Summicron 35 asph. and the evening sun....

jonoslack

Sunday Afternoon in my Garden

M8, Summicron 35 asph. and the evening sun....
Dammit Jaap - now it's monday morning, you're making me want to get out in the sunshine already!

Lovely shot though

jonoslack

We've had lovely weather here, I've even been seen on the bicycle, and the M8 has been back in the ascendant.

Here are a couple of shots from the last day or so that I was pleased with.

75 'cron

75 'cron

75 'cron . . . I thought Madonna might be interested in this.

75 'cron

zeiss 25mm biogon

zeiss 50mm sonnar

cmb_

Jono, your environment is very lucky to have you in it - you seem to capture a consistent mood and spirit that is communicated well.

I see that you have the Zeiss 25mm. I have been thinking about buying this lens. Please share your thoughts and experiences (and any other images you have would be nice as well from this lens). Do you have any of the Leica glass in the 21mm to 28mm range and if so could you characterize the differences in handling and imaging between them and the Zeiss. Thanks in advance.

- Charles

robsteve

Subscriber

Charles:

I might be selling my 24mm if you can hold off buying for a week or so. I will be bringing the 24mm, Wate, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm to the San Juan workshop. I suspect the WATE may get the most use when I need a wide. If it works out that way, I will probably put my 24mm ASPH up for sale.

In regards to the Zeiss 25mm, you have to make sure it has the correct mount on it or it will not code. It is also a bit high in contrast compared to the Leica lens.

Robert

jonoslack

Jono, your environment is very lucky to have you in it - you seem to capture a consistent mood and spirit that is communicated well.
Thank you!

I see that you have the Zeiss 25mm. I have been thinking about buying this lens. Please share your thoughts and experiences (and any other images you have would be nice as well from this lens). Do you have any of the Leica glass in the 21mm to 28mm range and if so could you characterize the differences in handling and imaging between them and the Zeiss. Thanks in advance.

- Charles
I think the bother with it is getting it coded as a Leica 24mm (for the IR). I bought mine from Vieri, together with the 50 1.5 sonnar, which I didn't want, but which was part of the deal . . I use both of them a lot, the sonnar is kind of a poor man's noctilux - it's all dreamy at f1.5, but by f4 you could cut yourself on it.

The 25 is smaller than the Leica 24, I suppose you might accuse it of being a little clinical - it's very VERY sharp (moire can be an issue), the distortion is minimal, it's pretty much as good from f2.8 to f11.

I've not owned the ASPH Leica 21 or 24 - I do have a WATE.

I think the general comparisons between Zeiss and Leica probably cover the ground between the Leica 24 and the Zeiss. But I like mine, it's on the camera a lot as it almost fills the rangefinder, it's small and light and it always delivers.

Recommended

robertwright

ditto on the zeiss 25;

sharp as a tack, but compresses midtones compared to the cron28, not sure about the 24 but I suspect it is the same.

I went to the trouble of swapping the mount, getting it milled and coded, and I got the hood for the 25/28, round, vented for it. It does intrude into the viewfinder on the M8, and after a while I found I was not able to really compose well considering what i was not seeing. After getting the 28 cron two weeks ago I am really appreciating the lower contrast.

Funny thing is that the performance of the 28 cron is so good on the M8 that it makes me wonder how much better the 24asph would be compared to the Zeiss...the cron is just so good, if the 24 was that good it would be worth it imo to buy the leica. (I suspect it is...).

cmb_

Robert - The Leica 24 is probably twice + the price of the Zeiss which is why I am looking at the Zeiss. I won't buy this week so if you are selling after the trip I'll have a look. Also, if I were to buy Leica I would have to consider the 28/2 as well as the 24mm.

I can get the Zeiss with the correct mount from PopFlash. Not a fortune either.

Jono - Thanks for all the info, very helpful. It confirms what I have been reading about it around the web.

cmb_

ditto on the zeiss 25;

sharp as a tack, but compresses midtones compared to the cron28, not sure about the 24 but I suspect it is the same.

I went to the trouble of swapping the mount, getting it milled and coded, and I got the hood for the 25/28, round, vented for it. It does intrude into the viewfinder on the M8, and after a while I found I was not able to really compose well considering what i was not seeing. After getting the 28 cron two weeks ago I am really appreciating the lower contrast.

Funny thing is that the performance of the 28 cron is so good on the M8 that it makes me wonder how much better the 24asph would be compared to the Zeiss...the cron is just so good, if the 24 was that good it would be worth it imo to buy the leica. (I suspect it is...).

Thanks for the info. Everyone says the 28/2 is so good on the M8. I know I will have to get it so I should just forget about the Zeiss and go for it. Oh well, looks like I will not be saving any money.