The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Jack

This is wonderful. Every workshop you get a Mancuso image that is iconic and each time he has a new system. Following his posts you know that the P25+ is already a "done deal" so it only remains to be seen what he will be using by the next workshop.

By the way I am just really learning to use my Hassy CWD and the Kodak senor, IMHO, is a real great deal. Quality of pixels is a missing component from most evaluations but should get more attention. I will be posting some images just taken and would really appreciate a critical evaluation.

Thanks and best

Woody
Hi Woody!

No sense in attempting to make book on Mancuso's gear that's for sure, but he is still shooting the M8! Wish you had been able to join us on this one, you would have had a bunch of fun with your new system and your M8! Yes, the MF difference is "real," however, there are the downsides and nuances to using it. The good news is these are routinely being discussed over on the MF forum -- LOTS of good info there for anybody interested before they buy... But the advantages are clear too; different tools for different purposes.

FWIW, Terry brought her new P&S digicam along too, the GRD -- final result is there are going to be about 7 new owners of that camera over the next few weeks too. And nobody will be selling their M8 or MF camera when they get it. Point is, selecting a camera isn't always about getting the best image quality, it's about finding a tool that fills a need.

Can't wait to see some of your MF images! My number one tip, and it was proven on this workshop several times: use a tripod whenever possible!

Cheers,

woodyspedden

Hi Woody!

No sense in attempting to make book on Mancuso's gear that's for sure, but he is still shooting the M8! Wish you had been able to join us on this one, you would have had a bunch of fun with your new system and your M8! Yes, the MF difference is "real," however, there are the downsides and nuances to using it. The good news is these are routinely being discussed over on the MF forum -- LOTS of good info there for anybody interested before they buy... But the advantages are clear too; different tools for different purposes.

FWIW, Terry brought her new P&S digicam along too, the GRD -- final result is there are going to be about 7 new owners of that camera over the next few weeks too. And nobody will be selling their M8 or MF camera when they get it. Point is, selecting a camera isn't always about getting the best image quality, it's about finding a tool that fills a need.

Can't wait to see some of your MF images! My number one tip, and it was proven on this workshop several times: use a tripod whenever possible!

Cheers,
jack

No doubt I would have had fun and from you and Guy learned a lot as always. However my Grandson was only going to graduate from undergrad school once in his life so that took precedence. I will definitely be attending another soon though and in the meantime learning to shoot MF. I'll post in the MF threads so all can see the beauty of the CFV back. Not high density like the P25+ or better but the quality of the pixels in this 16 MPx back are certainly a cut above either the 1DsMkII which I owned and my current D3.

Thanks for responding

Woody

mwalker

Subscriber Member

TRSmith love the lake shot

Jaap, the cloud shot with the airplane....money shot.... excellent

robsteve

Subscriber

Here is a 24mm shot from just after sunrise. These are the people desperate for coffee in the early morning.

Daniel

Williamsburgh (My home in NY), Brooklyn, NY

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.5

Daniel

After coming across another flickr member's, dpattinson, black and white pictures taken with his Leica M8, I decided try shooting in black and white jpeg format. Per his suggestion, I set my in-camera settings to low sharpening and high contrast. Depending on the lighting condition I'd use ISO 1250 or 2500. But I like ISO 2500 because it's "grain" appeals to my personal taste. I'm very please with how the M8 processes black and white jpeg images.

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.5 (f2.8) In-camera settings: ISO 2500, High contrast, Low Sharpening. Post Processing: None

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.5 (f1.5) In-camera settings: ISO 2500, High contrast, Low Sharpening. Post Processing: None

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.5 (f1.5) In-camera settings: ISO 160, High contrast, Low Sharpening. Post Processing: None

Last edited:

helenhill

After coming across another flickr member's, dpattinson, black and white pictures taken with his Leica M8, I decided try shooting in black and white jpeg format. Per his suggestion, I set my in-camera settings to low sharpening and high contrast. Depending on the lighting condition I'd use ISO 1250 or 2500. But I like ISO 2500 because it's "grain" appeals to my personal taste. I'm very please with how the M8 processes black and white jpeg images.

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.5 (f2.8) In-camera settings: ISO 2500, High contrast, Low Sharpening. Post Processing: None

Just adore the clenched hand-menu shot
Superb sense of Tonality ,Composition & the Moment

Best, H:clap::clap:

D

dudedog

You know, for some reason I never really spent any time on black & white's... until I started seeing all the great posts here. Love the results from the M8. Love the "Fist & Menu" and the "ATM". Very nice!

And BTW jaapv - love the clouds - incredible... and I'd love to see more from the 35/1.2 at a point. I've been thinking about getting this lens, and the glasses / candles shot might just push me over the edge :)

Below are a few from today's early morning walk around...The first one is a 50 chron, the second a CV12/5.6... George

Daniel

Just adore the clenched hand-menu shot
Superb sense of Tonality ,Composition & the Moment

Best, H:clap::clap:
You know, for some reason I never really spent any time on black & white's... until I started seeing all the great posts here. Love the results from the M8. Love the "Fist & Menu" and the "ATM". Very nice!

And BTW jaapv - love the clouds - incredible... and I'd love to see more from the 35/1.2 at a point. I've been thinking about getting this lens, and the glasses / candles shot might just push me over the edge :) George
Thank you Helen and George! It's fun taking shots in black and white jpeg with in-camera processing only, and resisting the urge to fiddle some more with an image editor like Photoshop. I wanted to challenge myself; that is, to see what I can come up with if this is all I have to work with.

TRSmith, I enjoy the tree from your canoe. Looks like a fun study of contrast and texture.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Thanks for the comments, apologize for being away.

And thanks to Grumpymonk for reminding me that you can shoot in b&w mode with the M8. I only think about converting to b&w. It's an entirely different commitment to throw the switch before you take the shot.