The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

C

Cancelledreality

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Fantatic shot, all.

Let me introduce myself, I am Hans and I am a Leicaholic for over a week now. And love it!! :p

All shots with the 28 elmarit asph

Arne Hvaring

For those sweltering in the summer heat, here's a shot from last November to cool you down. At this time of the year frost is creeping in, lakes are starting to freeze over and the light is, well, just wonderful.
M8, 90 mm Apo-Summicron.

Last edited:

Maarten

I'll add a little to the fun, I hope.

These photos were taken during my recent trip to Japan in May. All with the 35mm Summicron Aspherical. I hope you like them! C&C welcome.

EDIT: oohh, they don' t look too good in JPG on the website. I did use sRGB

Peter Klein

I'm just back from vacation, mostly in the northeastern corner of Oregon. Here are two fun images. I call the second one "Triple Moon." :D

Both M8, the first with a CV 90/3.5, the second with a 50 Summicron.

--Peter

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Terry,
Congratulations on the new M8. It looks great in Luigi. :clap: Enjoy!
It is my M8 and My Luigi. Come on Helen, at least give credit to the one who put the original things together. So much for jest but the combination of the Chrome M8 and the Luigi case is just wonderful IMHO. Wish I had kept them as my other M8 (the one i was convinced obviated the need for two) has crashed and i am now awaiting the replacement of the shutter which went up in smoke so to speak. (No offense Mr Smoky Sun !!!!!!!!3636363

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Agreed -- AWESOME shot! (My compliments on the processing too ;))

JPlomley

Gentlemen,

Cheers for the feedback. I sent this image to the local Leica rep and he thought it was a bit over-sharpened on his monitor. He has one of those new 24" glossy iMacs. I'm running a Cinema Display (matte surface) and it looks spot on to me. It would probably look a bit soft on a CRT. I'm curious as to how other posters are gauging the appropriate sharpness given the potential disparity in viewing monitors.

Jack-a lot of fussing about with color contrast in the a and b space of Lab

~ Jeff

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Fantatic shot, all.

Let me introduce myself, I am Hans and I am a Leicaholic for over a week now. And love it!! :p

All shots with the 28 elmarit asph

Hi Han,
Welcome to the world of Leicaholics.:angel: It looks like you are getting on with your new Leica. Nice shots.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Gentlemen,

Cheers for the feedback. I sent this image to the local Leica rep and he thought it was a bit over-sharpened on his monitor. He has one of those new 24" glossy iMacs. I'm running a Cinema Display (matte surface) and it looks spot on to me. It would probably look a bit soft on a CRT. I'm curious as to how other posters are gauging the appropriate sharpness given the potential disparity in viewing monitors.

Jack-a lot of fussing about with color contrast in the a and b space of Lab

~ Jeff
He's right, it is a bit over-sharpened for web viewed on my Cinema display -- for example, the jaggies are prominent on the chrome arms of the chair and her bracelet.

HOWEVER! I often do that on purpose with my best images when posting them online to protect them from copy-paste theft. On our workshops, I've used a student's posted 1200 pixel web jpeg, uprezzed it using the methods we teach and print it out at 16x24. And it looks darn good! No, not as good as using the original file, but so good it makes the above point. FWIW, over-sharpening early wreaks havoc on up-scaling protocols, so it's probably the best insurance against that kind of unauthorized use; so for me it is not an issue as I know it could be re-processed for print with more appropriate sharpening...

Re the processing, lighting is perfect and I like what you've done with the skin tone, saturation and contrast, as well as the fact you've desaturated the background at the same time. That combo accentuates the "harshness" of the life she's probably lived...

Cheers,

JPlomley

He's right, it is a bit over-sharpened for web viewed on my Cinema display -- for example, the jaggies are prominent on the chrome arms of the chair and her bracelet.

HOWEVER! I often do that on purpose with my best images when posting them online to protect them from copy-paste theft.
Great feedback and good strategy Jack. I'll leave the sharpening right where it is.

Thx,

~ Jeff

jonoslack

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to a wedding where I wasn't responsible!

Somehow it's impossible not to take a camera though:

m8 75 'cron

Terry

Jono, one question was this early on or late into the event.....:ROTFL:

jlm

Workshop Member

anyone notice the embedded journalist in Generation Kill (HBO) is using a Leica M?

eekimel

I noticed that. A "panda" edition of some sort (noticed the black rewind knob) but I'm not sure about the lens.