The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

N

nei1

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Looks like a big eye Tim,and whoever owns it has had a few drinks by the looks of the bloodshot edges,lock your doors and windows!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

It does look a little scary I guess. The white area is an air bubble. I have a small windmill that pumps air into the pond to keep the algae down and make it friendly for the Rainbow Trout I stock in the pond. The air sometimes collects under the ice and makes for some interesting shapes.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

I just found out that the following image is LFI's Online Gallery pick of the week. It should also appear in the magazine version of LFI ... very cool.

Kurt

carstenw

Well, the Sutro Baths it is not (hey Jack :)), but here is a bath in my local cemetary. I tried desperately to get the background toned down, seeing as how I couldn't avoid it completely, with mixed success. 28 Cron.

View attachment 10080

carstenw

Bonzai

I just bought Photoshop CS4 and wanted to try something fun, and this is what I came up with in a few hours of work. The tree and the girl are separate photos, and I tried to bring them together in a believable fashion, with matching the angle and the lighting, to the extent of my abilities, as well as a shadow for her feet, her hand behind some leaves, and so on, but I couldn't quite get it the way I wanted it. I think the lighting is still off, but I am not sure I can correct it, certainly not with my PS skills.

Which forum is the correct one here for tips on Photoshop?

View attachment 10131

Last edited:

carstenw

Btw, I do see that the lighting is still quite a bit off in my Bonzai photo, just to reassure people that my ego won't be bruised as the inevitable criticism rolls in. I am just looking for pointers on how to set up such shots.

jaapv

Subscriber Member

Hi Carsten! Nice idea, and it works quite well. I think that the feeling of unnaturalness is not the light, but the fact that she seems to be hovering a few mm above the ground, probably because there is a difference in sharpness.. But it does not distract imo

carstenw

I did apply a gradient Gaussian blur to her, to get her feet as blurred as the ground she is standing on, and I did apply a shadow to the ground around her, but somehow it doesn't work. I think I am just no good :) But I want to learn! I am looking at the basic Photoshop tutorials on the cambridgeincolour.com site. Are there other good sites for Photoshop for photographers? I am mainly looking for things like skin perfection and skin colour, depth of field, isolation, composing images, and similar stuff, not wild filters.

ecliffordsmith

Kurt,

Congratulations. A very strong image.

Tim,

I like your flower shot very much too. You appear to be having quite a winter already!

jaapv

Subscriber Member

I did apply a gradient Gaussian blur to her, to get her feet as blurred as the ground she is standing on, and I did apply a shadow to the ground around her, but somehow it doesn't work. I think I am just no good :) But I want to learn! I am looking at the basic Photoshop tutorials on the cambridgeincolour.com site. Are there other good sites for Photoshop for photographers? I am mainly looking for things like skin perfection and skin colour, depth of field, isolation, composing images, and similar stuff, not wild filters.
Carsten,I was always impressed with the books and tutorials by Scott Kelby (easily googled) And of course the workshops provided by Guy and Jack have a great reputation.