The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Thanks for the kind words.

These are shot with the 28 cron and 50 lux (pre-asph) on my M8, B&W conversions done in LR2.

In LR2, I go to the greyscale mode and start with "auto" which gives me a good starting point. Then I use the color filter "target adjustment tool" to selectively modify the lumination of certain colors from the original RAW file to get the look and contrast I want. To finishi it off, I add a little "post-crop vignette" to eliminate some distraction from the edges.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Gonna have to give it a try. Yours are some of the most stunning (I know, I overuse that word, but I mean it) bw conversions I've seen.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Mike, those first two birthday shots are coming out of my monitor. Great!

What lens and aperture?

C

Cancelledreality

Incredible shots, Lloyd, Steve and Mike.

I'm glad this thread is back alive! :thumbs:

C

Cancelledreality

I love the 28 cron! :thumbup:

stevem8

Hans, stop that! All I have is the measly 28 Elmarit and seeing these 28 cron shots has me thinking of exchanging it even though it would not be a smart $$ decision! That 28 cron always looks so magical!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Thanks for the kind words.

These are shot with the 28 cron and 50 lux (pre-asph) on my M8, B&W conversions done in LR2.

In LR2, I go to the greyscale mode and start with "auto" which gives me a good starting point. Then I use the color filter "target adjustment tool" to selectively modify the lumination of certain colors from the original RAW file to get the look and contrast I want. To finishi it off, I add a little "post-crop vignette" to eliminate some distraction from the edges.

Mike
Lightroom should hire you to do a tutorial. If my black and white conversions looked like that, I would still be using Lightroom. I sure wish I could have made it to the workshop,:mad: because I know you were teaching Lightroom techniques there.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Cindy.

From my experience, LR2 does well with M8 images shot at ISO 640 or lower. For shots over ISO 640, I use C1, which produces a cleaner and nicer image at the higher ISOs.

I hope to see you at a future GetDPI workshop, and will gladly show you my B&W conversion techniques, as well as other LR techniques.

Mike

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

I've posted a color version of this candid portrait of my father much earlier on this thread. I reprocessed the image in B&W, and like this version even better.

Gary P

Hi Mike,

I love the B/W images! Of course along with the other ones! I would love to hear how you went about producing the B/W images. Did you use Aperture or Lightroom? What was your conversion to B/W conversion?

Thanks,

Gary P

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Gary. I used LR2, and described an outline of my B&W conversion method in post #1135 - a few posts up on this page.

C

Cancelledreality

Hans,

This just jumps off the screen. The rendering here is exceptional, and the light... wow! :salute:
Thanks Lloyd!

stevem8 said:
Hans, stop that! All I have is the measly 28 Elmarit and seeing these 28 cron shots has me thinking of exchanging it even though it would not be a smart $$ decision! That 28 cron always looks so magical!
Steve, you are doing great with the 28 elmarit.
I found a great deal on a used cron, which I could not pass up.

Mike Hatam said:
From my experience, LR2 does well with M8 images shot at ISO 640 or faster. For shots over ISO 640, I use C1, which produces a cleaner and nicer image at the higher ISOs.
Mike, great b&w and also great advise of using C1 for higher ISO shots. :salute:

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

Wow, where to start? This thread really is thriving again!

Lloyd/Steve,

Very nice photographs!

Hans,

Again another nice one from your cafe series. You have conveyed a really nice mood in the whole series.

Mike,

As others have stated, very very nicely processed B&W images!

helenhill

This Thread is Alive & Kicking....

Mike: Great Portrait Series

Hans: You & the Cron work Magic

Ed: Love the Tonal Range & Moodiness

JimCollum

M8, 35mm Lux, preasph
Overpass

M8, 35mm Lux, preasph
Coyote Creek