The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

C

Cancelledreality

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

being new to the world of M8 / two days...:ROTFL:
here is another post...
I ADORE 160 Day & Night
but find 1250 & up a total waste for me
Grain I Luv in Film
BUT peach Fuzz Noise does not work for me in digital

The Rd1/s really worked brilliantly @1600

Any secrets OR Tips Please Divulge
:grin:
Congratulations, Helen!

Up to ISO 640 the M8 is not bad. 1250 is still usable, but 2500 is too much.
I never use it. Like Lloyd says, C1 works great for M8 files, noise seems less than with Lightroom.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

. . .
but find 1250 & up a total waste for me
Grain I Luv in Film
BUT peach Fuzz Noise does not work for me in digital

Any secrets OR Tips Please Divulge
:grin:
Helen
Others have given some tips on how to control noise but I think you are looking for ways to use it creatively.
To best exploit the M8's noise characteristics at 640 & 1250 I like to convert to B&W. Make sure your RAW Converter is not doing much noise reduction (color & luminance), otherwise you may end up with the peach fuzz look which you find unpleasant. A little contrast in the scene seems to help and adding contrast (a lot sometimes) in post processing works wonders. 640 & 1250 really gives a nice texture to the M8 files but it doesn't happen all the time, be patient, you will find it.

mwalker

Subscriber Member

Helen I too use the auto iso function max at 640. It keeps me from thinking about it and I have no problem with files in this range. If I hit that ceiling I might use 1250 according to the situation or slap on a faster lens. I also bought a version of C1 but haven't used it yet I'm hooked to LR and CS3. At some point I will probably switch over to C1 but I hate learning new software. Its a Art camera, and you'll use it wonderfully!

Last edited:

Lloyd

Helen I too use the auto iso function max at 640. It keeps me from thinking about it and I have no problem with files in this range. If I hit that ceiling I might use 1250 according to the situation or slap on a faster lens. I also bought a version of C1 but haven't used it yet I'm hooked to LR and CS3. At some point I will probably switch over to C1 but I hate learning new software. Its a Art camera, and you'll use it wonderfully!
I also actually prefer Lightroom (2.2) and use Photoshop CS4, but I have found that on higher ISO shots with the M8, Capture One seems to work a little better. (I also find I sometimes prefer skin tones in portraits processed in C1).

Another point, if you're shooting jpgs, I suggest you turn off all in-camera sharpening, and set your in-camera contrast to Medium High or High (you may wish to experiment a bit). This seems to work well, especially for b/w shot at high ISO. YMMV.

Lloyd

Miserable weather outside, first meeting in about an hour... just goofin' with the Nocti:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Another point, if you're shooting jpgs, I suggest you turn off all in-camera sharpening, and set your in-camera contrast to Medium High or High (you may wish to experiment a bit). This seems to work well, especially for b/w shot at high ISO. YMMV.
I seem to remember a discussion here awhile back about using the M8 with it set to B&W jpegs and shooting at 1250-2500. It generates a certain look that includes some grainy stuff and contrast that some find enjoyable. I tried it once myself and it does in fact produce the gritty punch and blocked-up highlight contrast look that has more than a few fans.

Lloyd

Diffused window light, dark background.

35 Summicron ver. IV 1/180 @ f2 (ISO 320, -1.33 EV):

helenhill

Well Thank You All - Lloyd,Tim,Ed,Cam,Hans,Rob,Charles & Mike
for Your Tips & POV's /Lots for me to work through

Just a few things the camera is set to :
WB / Bounce between Auto & daylight
Compression: DNG + JPG fine
ISO : 160 (for the moment night & day)
EV: depending + /- 2/3
Sharpening: OFF
Color Saturation: Low
Contrast: medium-high

stevem8

Dang Lloyd, that 35 Cron looks sweet, plus you had gorgeous light there. Nice shot!!!

Helen, I have enjoyed your shots as well. Cool stuff! Keep posting!