The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ff - 3-2-1 lens set - focal length

Paratom

With my M8 at least 95% of the images I made were with a CV 28/3.5. If I were buying one lens for the M9, therefore, it would be a 35 - either a Summicron or a Summarit depending on how rich I was feeling.

A 2-lens set would probably be 35 and 50.

A 3-lens set would be 21, 35 and 50.

I actually have 15, 21, 28, 35, 50, 65(Visoflex) and 90... All of them CV apart from the 65mm Elmar. However I understand from Sean Reid that the 15 is 'problematic' on the M9, so only time will tell if that line-up is likely to last - I've rarely used either the 65 or 90 with the M8.
For me most used lenses on M8 were 28 and 50, followed by 75 and wate.
This would translate in 35 and 75 and maybe 21 or wate.
However from first feel 50 now seems pretty attractive focal length as well.

Paratom

3:

But really, I think 5 lenses is much better than 3-2-1. ;)

David
I admit owning more than 3, actually too many and I am trying to figur out which one will become my "workhorses", which one I might use here and then, and if I can sell some.

fotografz

1 lens: 35/1.4 ASPH

2 lenses: 28/2 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH ... or 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/2 ASPH (depending on the application).

3 Lenses: 24/1.4 ASPH, 35/1.4 ASPH, 90/2.8 (or 75/2 ASPH)

4 lenses: 24/1.4 ASPH, 28/2 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH, 90/2.8

Since a M9 and the entire spread of focal lengths fits in the same shoulder bag as a Nikon D3X with a 24-70 ... why limit yourself? :ROTFL:

5 lenses: 24/1.4 ASPH, 28/2 ASPH, 35/1.4 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH, 90/2.8

I hope Leica comes out with a new 90/2.5 ASPH ... the 90AA is to big, and I didn't like the 90/2.5 I tested.

A smaller version of the SF58 wouldn't hurt either :thumbup:

Now to get the M9 before I get ahead of myself here ... :rolleyes:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
5 lenses is good, but not really necessary -- you can make do with 4: 21 Elmarit, 28Cron, 50 lux, 90 -- I'd get the Summarit for weight. If you absolutely have to add a 5th, then the 35 lux OR the CV12. Next point is I can't argue with folks that place the 35 higher in the pecking order than a 28 or 50 :D

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'm going to go at it slow this time and start with the 35lux and a Nokton 1.1 (I ordered today). I want to find out what feels right and responds best on the M9. I certainly think a 28cron and 50lux would be great to add down the road.

Since you, my fellow addicts understand the lust for fast lenses, I have to confess a dark and terrible secret. (I'd love to spend time with the new Noctilux on the M9.) I have dreams about walking around with that as my only lens.

Kurt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Kurt I got a chance to shoot with the new Noctilux on my (totally unaccepatbly out dated M8.2 ) in NYC. Just a few shoots wide open. Since I also had my 20 year old Noctilux I could compare images..somewhat.

The new Noctilux renders exactly like the new summiluxes....very similar to the 50 1.4asph but maybe even more like the 21 1.4asph color. Sharp.... and detailed rendering wide open ...smooth bokeh with a nice transition from sharp to out of focus. No doubt a beautiful lens .

Not sure I liked it as much as my older version because of the lack of "glow". The night images with an original 50/1.0 are pretty special . Since I don t want to carry the Noctilux all day its a night or daybreak choice. For now I think the 50 1.4 asph is a better choice for all around use.

Ok now the way to justify it........build around the 35 1.4asph and the 75/2 summicron. The Noctilux fits nicely in the middle and extends the range and capability of that M9 investment.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just a fine coat of petrolatum jelly to the front element and you will have that glow again.
-bob

Oren Grad

My choice would be the same as I currently use with my film Leicas - 28, 35 and 50, with the 35 by far the most used, 50 occasionally, and 28 once in a great while. So - big surprise! - with only two it would be 35 and 50, only one it would be 35.