Site Sponsors

Thread: 35mm for M9

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm for M9

Well I have my 28 and 50. Now I am looking for a 35mm lens. I need it to perform between f4.0 and f11 so I don't really care whether it opens up to 1.4 or just 2.8.

I looked at the Leica option but wanted to ask what else is out there and if somebody already has some feedback with using a 35mm lens on the new M9.

Any thoughts ?

Thx

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 35mm for M9

Check out the exif on Jono's files. He's actually been shooting with the 35 Summarit in his testing.
    Last edited by Terry; 10th September 2009 at 21:03.

Post Thanks / Like

The 35 cron ASPH is incredible but I assume this has to do with the fact that this lens is an amazing performer.

Cheers,

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually out of all the summarits I tried I liked the bokeh the best from the 35mm summarit. It had a very very smooth transition to the OOF area's, very pleasing. That test is on the forum but you need to do a search it is pretty old. Actually I tested all the summarits against all of there cousins
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm wondering is how the beloved 35mm cron version IV stacks up with the ASPH version or the Lux version with the M9. I sure like it on my M8 and anxious to try out all three on the M9 when I received it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of the 35mm Cron ASPH. Definately one of my favorite lenses. Sharp with great color and snap.

Here is a picture that I realy think exemplifies the 35 Cron ASPH:

M9 with 35mm Summicron ASPH, ISO 160, 1/1000th at f/4.8

If you want to see more, check out my blog for lots of M9 samples, many with the 35.

Good luck.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

roey

In terms of non-Leica options: I like the CV 35 2.5 Skopar very much on the M8. It is small and sharp (even in the corners). I do not have the M9 yet, so I can't tell how it performs in the corners of a full frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the Summicron 35 version IV which I have had alongside the ASPH it performs beautifully on the M8 because the smaller sensor uses the central part of the image.
    I suspect that on the M9 edges and corners will be softer.
    (I don't have an M9 yet, but that was my experience on Kodachrome)
    Maurice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you're getting a black paint M9 then you really need my 35 cron asph black paint lens to match!
    -Brad

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say.
    IMO the 35 Summilux has a very nice drawing and Bokeh from what I saw in images posted in the net.
    The 35lux-asph is quit sharp and has a nice contrast without being clinical, and also a nice bokeh. Many samples seem to have focus shift which makes it hard to control them.
    The full frame sensor means even shallower DOF wide open so I am not sure if one can really take advantage of this lens (because its just to hard to predict where to focus at which f-stop)
    Thats why I havent used mine much.

Then there are (older ) 35crons - very small size, good image quality, wide open maybe not as sharp and contrasty as asph lenses. Some can not be coded-but with the M9 thats less of a problem since you can set it manually (you should not forget it though)
    I will experiment with my 35cron on the M9-I really like the small size and f2.0 might be fast enough for me.

And then the 35cron asph. Probably the safest way to go - good compromise regarding size, price, drawing, and as far as I know no focus shift problems.

If I had to buy a new lens today I would first check how the 35 Summarit performs on full frame, and if 2.5 was fast enough for me. If yes I would go Summarit, otherwise I would go for a 35cron.

IF (and thats the big question for me) one can master the 35lux_asph (or if there are samples without focus shift) than it would be a great lens, but IMO with the FF-sensor f2.0 or ven f2.5 should be fine as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thx for all the input, any reports on some Voigts or Zeiss lenses on the m9 ?

At least I still have two weeks to find my perfect lens ^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the 35mm Cron ASPH. Definately one of my favorite lenses. Sharp with great color and snap.

Here is a picture that I realy think exemplifies the 35 Cron ASPH:

M9 with 35mm Summicron ASPH, ISO 160, 1/1000th at f/4.8

If you want to see more, check out my blog for lots of M9 samples, many with the 35.

Good luck.

David
    That's a beautiful shot. I just purchased the 35 cron ASPH and should have it in a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Hard to say.
    IMO the 35 Summilux has a very nice drawing and Bokeh from what I saw in images posted in the net.
    The 35lux-asph is quit sharp and has a nice contrast without being clinical, and also a nice bokeh. Many samples seem to have focus shift which makes it hard to control them.
    The full frame sensor means even shallower DOF wide open so I am not sure if one can really take advantage of this lens (because its just to hard to predict where to focus at which f-stop)
    Thats why I havent used mine much.

Then there are (older ) 35crons - very small size, good image quality, wide open maybe not as sharp and contrasty as asph lenses. Some can not be coded-but with the M9 thats less of a problem since you can set it manually (you should not forget it though)
    I will experiment with my 35cron on the M9-I really like the small size and f2.0 might be fast enough for me.

And then the 35cron asph. Probably the safest way to go - good compromise regarding size, price, drawing, and as far as I know no focus shift problems.

If I had to buy a new lens today I would first check how the 35 Summarit performs on full frame, and if 2.5 was fast enough for me. If yes I would go Summarit, otherwise I would go for a 35cron.

IF (and thats the big question for me) one can master the 35lux_asph (or if there are samples without focus shift) than it would be a great lens, but IMO with the FF-sensor f2.0 or ven f2.5 should be fine as well.
    I love my 35 Lux. I tested a number of these lenses and found the silver chrome version had almost no focus shift. Later posts by others at this forum confirmed my finding on the value of the silver chrome version. So, imho, if you can find a good quality silver chrome 35 Lux you will very much enjoy it

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I love my 35 Lux. I tested a number of these lenses and found the silver chrome version had almost no focus shift. Later posts by others at this forum confirmed my finding on the value of the silver chrome version. So, imho, if you can find a good quality silver chrome 35 Lux you will very much enjoy it
    i love you, Woody, but i think there are some gems to be found in the black ones as well -- as long as they are calibrated correctly. i adore my 35 Lux to death! whilst i have other smaller 35 lenses, but this is the one i always seem to take with me, regardless of f/stop i'll be shooting at. it is a perfect day for night, a one lens solution.

as awesome as it is on the M8, i just saw a shot from it on the M9. i feel kind of stupid liking this lens as much as i do when i'm using it on the R-D1 or the M8 -- when i saw it full frame, i realised that's where it truly shone.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    thx for all the input, any reports on some Voigts or Zeiss lenses on the m9 ?

At least I still have two weeks to find my perfect lens ^^
    I loved my cv35 color skopar (f2.5) on the M8 and I know Tim Ashley is a big fan of this lens. I read a post from him over at LUF that it seemed soft in the corners on the M9 (but I have no idea at what apertures). Might want to shoot him a PM (tashley - on both sites).

Post Thanks / Like

How about voigtlander 35/1.4 ?
    can anyone please post some pictures from it?
    thx you
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you're buying an M9 you presumably care about image quality. Why use anything less than a Leica lens on it? I know they're more expensive, but many good used lenses are available at reasonable prices. In my experience, every time I tried a Zeiss or Voigtlander lens I felt like I was compromising, and eventually bought a Leica to replace it. The only exception was the CV 12 since there's no Leica substitute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, because I have no proof so far that any Leica lens will perform better. At least on the M8 some Voigtl. lenses which cost less than half than some leicas and perform better ^^
    I will certainly look for all different opinions in net next couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Summilux 35/1.4 is so expensive....
    I can't afford it right now, that is why I want to buy voigtlander 35/1.4 first, then after I have enough money, I will get the summilux
    I want to see some example from it.

thx
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

The titanuim version also has very little focus shift. David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean Reid (www.reidreviews.com) does a nice job comparing Leica and non-Leica lenses. It's a paid site but I recommend it, and if his information helps you buy the right lenses, you will save much more than the cost of his site.

Remember, a full frame M9 will "stress" test the lenses even more since we're using the whole image rather than a crop from the lens image circle.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Leica Summilux 35/1.4 is so expensive....
    I can't afford it right now, that is why I want to buy voigtlander 35/1.4 first, then after I have enough money, I will get the summilux
    I want to see some example from it.

thx
    When the Voigtlander was released there were definite problems with it on the M8 with focus shift and I believe soft corners. The problems on the M8 would probably be worse on the M9.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ight=35+nokton

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    If you're buying an M9 you presumably care about image quality. Why use anything less than a Leica lens on it?
    Because I can only donate so much blood and have a limited amount of children to indenture. Brad, getting an M8 even at today's prices is a stretch for most folks, yours truly included. I am saving and scrimping where I can to do this, but even at used prices, unless the lens is beaten to death, you are still talking in excess of $1000 per lens.

When I had my M8, I had mostly CV glass and one Zeiss. In fact, the only Leica glass I owned was a Tri-Viewfinder. Don't sell CV glass short, it does a wonderful job out-resolving anything CaNikOlySonTax can offer and for a fraction of the cost of Zeiss or Leica glass.

I am not saying that Leica glass is overrated, it isn't. It's quite spectacular. Unmatched, honestly. But affordable, hardly.

In the process of M8 re-acqiuisition, I picked up a nice (LNIB) used CV 35mm Nokton f/1.4 for $350. Very hard to argue.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos, you are absolutely right. Thank goodness there are choices out there, and most of them are better than most of the new stuff made for DSLRs. Plus, the "good" glass from Canon and Nikon is pricey.

Don't forget about older Leica glass - I have a couple of gems from 40+ years ago that cost a few hundred each. They each have a unique "personality" in the way they draw.

By the way, upon re-reading my post, doesn't it sound like a good ad for Leica? "If you're buying an M9 you presumably care about image quality. Why use anything less than a Leica lens on it?" I would be happy to sell this ad copy to Leica for a new set of Summiluxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    If you're buying an M9 you presumably care about image quality.
    please never try an alpa with a digital back and digital lens in bright light, you will be shocked... everything is a compromise !

Senior Member Ron (Netherlands)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a 35mm cron asph and after a while sold the rest (kept an old 50mm Russian lens)
    Leica: IIa sync conversion, M6 TTL Millenium, Fuji X-E1;
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

My black 35 lux asph had been great on the M8 and film M's. Focus shift is barely detectable in tests, and undetectable in real images. It's one of the great lenses IMO, and one reason to get the M9, the 75 lux being the other for my taste. best...Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Did some quick&dirty comparisons between my old 35cron and the 35lux asph at f2 and revise my last thread. The 35lux asph is much better at f2, the older 35 cron doesnt look well at all at f2 an the M9.
    I am re-exploring the 35asph lux now. For some reason focus shift doesnt appear as much of a problem as it has been in earlier times with my M8. But I have to further shoot to find out how it really works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roey View Post
    In terms of non-Leica options: I like the CV 35 2.5 Skopar very much on the M8. It is small and sharp (even in the corners). I do not have the M9 yet, so I can't tell how it performs in the corners of a full frame.
    My sample, which I always loved on my M8, is very soggy to the corners on the M9 and only sharpens up there at around F8 to 11 at which point the diffraction has kicked in to ruin the rest of the image. Not recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the V4 cron, and asph cron side by side on full frame with very little differences to note. The asph cron has a bit more contrast, but is also a tad larger than the v3 and v4 pre-asph crons, if size is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by JWW View Post
    What I'm wondering is how the beloved 35mm cron version IV stacks up with the ASPH version or the Lux version with the M9. I sure like it on my M8 and anxious to try out all three on the M9 when I received it.
    My Photography Blog here