The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which M lenses for new M user?

peterm1

Hello. I am seriously contemplating switching from my D700 to the M9 for a few major reasons, including the fact that I hate the bulk, weight, and obviousness of using the D700, as well as the legendary quality of Leica lenses. About 90% of my photos are candids I take of family and friends in the 35-100mm range, and it would be fantastic to be able to be quiet and unobtrusive while shooting, and at the same time getting the quality of Leica glass (I am currently using Zeiss ZF lenses for the most part). The other 10% of the time I shoot landscape or travel shots.

If I sell all of my gear I would have enough to buy the M9 and have about $7500 left for lenses. I am a bit overwhelmed by the lens choices for the M mount and need a suggestion for a couple of lenses for this budget. I would like to get fast lenses, and can start with two (or at most three) and then save up for more if I feel the need. I was thinking of 28mm, 50mm and 90mm (and down the road, a 135mm). I can't afford to get the absolute top of the line Leica for all of these, but something that can provide a lot of the quality for a bit less cost. 90mm is definitely my favorite focal length, followed by 50mm and then either 28 or 35. I am very open to buying used lenses as well. I see that Zeiss has the ZM line for Leica, which is pretty tempting since I really like my Zeiss ZF lenses, although one of my reasons for considering switching to the Leica rangefinder system is to be able to use Leica glass.

Any tips on which lenses for this budget would be greatly appreciated. I also posted this question on the Leica rangefinder forum.

Thanks!

Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 35 and 90 summarit lenses are very good lenses and very reasonably priced. I need to find my old review of these lenses . Let me see if i can find it.

PeterA

Everyone 'sees' differently.

My most used lens on a Leica full frame camera is a 50mm. Some people like a 35mm as their 'standard' lens and for a wider field of view - the 35 cron or lux is beautiful lens. Ease of use without resort to an extra viewfinder sees the M9 tapped out with the 28mm frame lines pretty much at the border of your viewfinder. Search the forum for many glowing reports about the 28 cron. I use a 21mm regularly as a very wide - however you get distortion and less natural ourcomes with these wider wides - not that they arent fantastic in landscape or very wide environmental candid shooting. At the longer end - I stop at 75mm - and here you have great choices between the old no longer made 75 lux, the new(er) aspherical Summicron and the very good and less expensive Summarit - all great portrait lenses.

good luck and have fun.

Lloyd

My choice for the minimalist full frame kit (without having to include external viewfinders): 28 Cron, 50 cron (lux, if the budget allows), 90 Cron (or the really excellent (and dirt cheap) Voightlander 90/3.5 APO Lanthar.) For me, if you have a 50, there isn't enough difference between that and the 75 in terms of FOV, so I'd go 90, which works wonderfully on the M9, btw. (Note that I have MANY more lenses than this, including two 75s... and love my 35s... oh, and my really wide glass, which require finders, and my... just talking minimal kit here.)

Last edited: