The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 users review coming

V

Vivek

I have several shots with WATE and 24 Lux on my blog.

Here is one from the WATE:

M9 with Wide-Angle-Tri-Elmar @ 16mm, ISO 160, 1/180th at f/11

David
That particular example, David does not impress (not questioning your capabilities as a shooter).

CA (even at this size) is visible in the lower center tree foliage, very uneven exposure, corner mush and so on.

That is why I asked about the wide samples. Thanks for showing.

As is, the M9 is the camera that should have been the first digital RF Leica. It is an impressive feat and am sure is very useful for the intended (street and the like) applications where it would really shine.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the forum software down rezed the shot. Admin to the rescue bumping up the limit.:D

I'm so bad . Don't tell our IT guy.:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

One more. This has a lot of detail want to see if it looks correct. Perfect, okay test over. BTW M8 without IR filter and Jack shot this

mtomalty

David,

Is it possible to see 100% crops of the areas Vivek sees problems?
Personally, I would somewhat expect the issues he's seeing but, at the
size posted, I see no evidence of CA or corner 'mush'

Mark

paulmoore

That particular example, David does not impress (not questioning your capabilities as a shooter).

CA (even at this size) is visible in the lower center tree foliage, very uneven exposure, corner mush and so on.

That is why I asked about the wide samples. Thanks for showing.

As is, the M9 is the camera that should have been the first digital RF Leica. It is an impressive feat and am sure is very useful for the intended (street and the like) applications where it would really shine.
sorry but I don't see what you see in david's shot..I believe if there is ca it would only be visible with a 100% crop. the only corner you can judge mush is the foliage in upper right, and that holds together well, again would have to see 100% to see sharpness for real.. please understand the limits of sized down screen images posted here. regarding the m9 as a second attempt by leica.. well, my second wife should have been my first wife, but what is done is done..get over it.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

One needs 100% crops to see CA and it isn't visible in the small jpg? Right.

Do you replace your first wife after a few years with a new one? I do not follow that analogy. :confused:

sorry but I don't see what you see in david's shot..I believe if there is ca it would only be visible with a 100% crop. the only corner you can judge mush is the foliage in upper right, and that holds together well, again would have to see 100% to see sharpness for real.. please understand the limits of sized down screen images posted here. regarding the m9 as a second attempt by leica.. well, my second wife should have been my first wife, but what is done is done..get over it.

K

K3N

That is one of my tests BTW Corners and wides
Guy,
Appreciate if you could also compare the responsiveness of the M9 to the M8. Shutter lag and responsiveness of the menus and set button while the camera is clearing the buffer. Could you also test the camera's buffer write speeds and if it makes use of speed of class 6 and class 10 SD cards.

Much thanks,
Ken

paulmoore

One needs 100% crops to see CA and it isn't visible in the small jpg? Right.

Do you replace your first wife after a few years with a new one? I do not follow that analogy. :confused:
don't worry about the analogy, it was too off-the-wall and I guess about as apparent to you as david's CA was to me.. I will be more direct..
they had to do the m8 to bring us the m9..its called evolution.. and there is no point to "would have, could have, or should have" posts.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,
Appreciate if you could also compare the responsiveness of the M9 to the M8. Shutter lag and responsiveness of the menus and set button while the camera is clearing the buffer. Could you also test the camera's buffer write speeds and if it makes use of speed of class 6 and class 10 SD cards.

Much thanks,
Ken
At the moment I don't have the M8 in hand but in a few weeks I hopefully will have all the parts and also Jack to do even more testing so we will do the 8 vs 9 than but I will talk about functions and such. Buffer, the fastest card I have in my hands this week is a 16gb Ultra II. If anyone has a faster card that wants me to try it I can but I do need it a fast test to test the buffer. David might be good at this since Dale labs might have those cards and a M9 handy. Not so sure the buffer got any faster overall. From the video it did but it is also pushing a bigger file and it may actually be equal when all said and done. Maybe someone can confirm that either way and if not I will send a note to Leica if needed. They will be following the threads on this.

skimmel

Guy,

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday: boy I miss Guy Mancuso's Leica tests! I'm really looking forward to it!!!

Would also be curious about time to "unpixelate" when zooming in on images. (Seemed very slow on the M9 I tried, even with newer firmware.)

Guy Mancuso

Glad someone remembers my Leica tests. Thanks . Adding to my list.

You guys really want me to work. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

V

Vivek

don't worry about the analogy, it was too off-the-wall and I guess about as apparent to you as david's CA was to me.. I will be more direct..
they had to do the m8 to bring us the m9..its called evolution.. and there is no point to "would have, could have, or should have" posts.

About the CA, it is apparent to me.

My questions about those (as I see them) are fair and my comment about the M9 was meant as a compliment (to Leica) and not a dig at M8.:)

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Vivek,

I do not see the CA. I trust that you see it - could you please describe it in more detail, so that I can spot it for myself?

Thanks,
Mike

fotografz

Glad someone remembers my Leica tests. Thanks . Adding to my list.

You guys really want me to work. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Glad you are doing all this ... while on the job no less :eek:

My M9 is being delivered to me tomorrow AM :clap:

Have the M8 "sidekick" ready to go. 16 gig Extreme III SDs. Have the D3X ready to go also. I'll be shooting some "urban" street stuff Saturday for a client's engagement photos, then to a Farmer's Market ... (these are becoming a lot bigger deal than in the past). 24, 35 and 50 lux ASPHs, 28/2 ASPH, and my trusty old school 90/2.8

The D3X will be there as back-up until I come to trust the new camera.

Now to find a 75/2 ASPH 6 bit. :thumbup:

-Marc

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Mike, If you look at the foliage on top of the tree (next to the building and at lower center of the frame) you could notice a bunch going blue-green as opposed just being green. The same is apparent on the top right foliage.

I understand this is an extreme example (16mm FL) and I would expect it to be gone/unnoticeable by ~28mm FL.

This could be a manifestation of the "cyan drift" stemming from IR + light fall off (camera and lens respectively).

Guy Mancuso

Glad you are doing all this ... while on the job no less :eek:

My M9 is being delivered to me tomorrow AM :clap:

Have the M8 "sidekick" ready to go. 16 gig Extreme III SDs. Have the D3X ready to go also. I'll be shooting some "urban" street stuff Saturday for a client's engagement photos, then to a Farmer's Market ... (these are becoming a lot bigger deal than in the past). 24, 35 and 50 lux ASPHs, 28/2 ASPH, and my trusty old school 90/2.8

The D3X will be there as back-up until I come to trust the new camera.

Now to find a 75/2 ASPH 6 bit. :thumbup:

-Marc

Yes the Phase gear is in tow as well. I'm crazy but not that crazy on a new anything.