Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tripods and Ball heads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tripods and Ball heads

Anyone have any experience with Acratech heads? I have read a couple of favorable reviews and they seem pretty good. I have an RH40 on order from RRS but when I called to check the status today they have no idea as to when it might ship so I am looking for an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

RRS was backordered on the head that I wanted and the leveling unit so I had to cancel the order unfortunately. I needed it before new year so I had to order an Acratech head with their leveling base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Gitzo 1228 with the RRS BH 55 ball head. it is a bit heavy but really works wonders. One thing though, I dropped a 1DsMkII when I inadvertantly hit the quick release clamp. Next day I ordered the screw type clamp which takes a few second longer but you know it is secure. JMHO and YMMV

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Am using a Gitzo GT2530 and I removed the center column and added in the tripod base from Krik..
    I'm confused as to the reason for this. The GT2530 has the ground level set, which allows you to remove the column. For older model Gitzos the Kirk adapter might make sense, but on the newer GTxxxx series, this is unncessary. Are there other advantages?

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    I'm confused as to the reason for this. The GT2530 has the ground level set, which allows you to remove the column. For older model Gitzos the Kirk adapter might make sense, but on the newer GTxxxx series, this is unncessary. Are there other advantages?

David
    http://www.kirkphoto.com/fpinstructions.pdf

There is the center which sticks out and the plate sits flush for me to mount the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    RRS was backordered on the head that I wanted and the leveling unit so I had to cancel the order unfortunately. I needed it before new year so I had to order an Acratech head with their leveling base.
    Not sure which head you were looking for but based on your comments, I called RRS on Wednesday to place my order. The BH-40 was on backorder and they weren't sure when it would be in stock. I placed the order, but told them not to ship anything or charge my card until the entire order was ready for shipping. I didn't want to get caught with the little bits and pieces and not have the ball head when it was time to go to Moab.

I just got an email notifying me that it shipped. My first reaction is "they messed up and shipped a partial order". I need to be less skeptical. I called the whole order including the ball head shipped. So they managed to ship me a backorder item faster than some places can get a regular order together (1.5 days) Yipeee. Add another $600+ to my M8 kit LOL!!!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news Terry
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Not sure which head you were looking for but based on your comments, I called RRS on Wednesday to place my order. The BH-40 was on backorder and they weren't sure when it would be in stock. I placed the order, but told them not to ship anything or charge my card until the entire order was ready for shipping. I didn't want to get caught with the little bits and pieces and not have the ball head when it was time to go to Moab.

I just got an email notifying me that it shipped. My first reaction is "they messed up and shipped a partial order". I need to be less skeptical. I called the whole order including the ball head shipped. So they managed to ship me a backorder item faster than some places can get a regular order together (1.5 days) Yipeee. Add another $600+ to my M8 kit LOL!!!
    I had ordered the same head but with the leveling plate. The last time I called they said the head should be available by the end of the week or early next week but the leveling part wouldn't be till the new year. I needed at least the head by Christmas but they couldn't guarantee it. My own fault for leaving it so late. I ended up with the Acratech head and their leveling base. I received it today from BH and it seems like it will work very well. Jean at Leicaboutique.com called me today to say my 2541L was in so I will pick it up tomorrow and put it all together and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found myself in Palo Alto with an hour to spare before my dinner reservation at La Strada, so I went over to California and dropped into K&S.
    Lots of tripods on display there and I played with the 2540lvl and the 2541L.
    I liked the idea of the leveling tripod, and for a hundred bucks more, I might have picked that one, but I was a bit suspicious of the rubber seal around the center ball and the somewhat lower extension when compared with the 2541L. I rationalized that if I really needed a level for something like a pano, then I would just clamp the RRS PCL-1 into the ball head, and then level that.
    I walked away with the 2541L even though I should have waited until I got home to MA to buy it from B&H.
    Anyway, I will sell off the G1228 if I can keep it out of the clutches of my son who is seeking an equipment donation.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 15th December 2007 at 16:24.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up my 2541L this morning and put the new Acratech head that has a sort of gimbal ability built in. Not as good as a Wimberly but will work well with my 5D and 400. I got the Acratech leveling base for it as well. So far I am quite impressed with it. I also have a 1228 with a Kirk head that I will sell.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

maybe i'm off base, but in my opinion, most of the heads are made upside down. i like to be able to pan the camera in a level plane, but that only works if the top of the tripod is level, since that is the panning plane for the acratech heads and others.
    what i have done is to mount a RRS panning platform in between the acratech and the camera. the ball levels the camera and the panning plane

Post Thanks / Like

Your right. The leveling base makes sure that the point at which the ballhead is attached is level then you must level the ballhead/camera relative to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    maybe i'm off base, but in my opinion, most of the heads are made upside down. i like to be able to pan the camera in a level plane, but that only works if the top of the tripod is level, since that is the panning plane for the acratech heads and others.
    what i have done is to mount a RRS panning platform in between the acratech and the camera. the ball levels the camera and the panning plane
    It's why I use the Cube on my 3-series pod unless I'm traveling:

http://www.getdpi.com/cube.html

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gitzo had a good idea with their 2540lvl with a built-in leveling feature. I very nearly bought a couple of days it until I worried about the rubber seal I saw between the ball and the outer ring.
    Leveling at the base of an adjustable column might be a better idea from the point of view of center of gravity than leveling at the top.
    I am comfortable with my choice of a "second" panning plate mounted atop the ballhead, although that acratech leveling base deserves to be checked out.

I think that the minimalist concept head is something like the acratech leveling plate (or gxxxxlvl tripod) topped with the rrs pano clamp.
    At that point you can go the whole way if you choose as rrs illustrated here http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pano/07.html

At that point, the ball head would be redundant. I shy away from all of this since mostly all I need is a simple ball head and the stability of that stack of lego bricks worries me somewhat especially with heavier gear and longer lenses.

Using a "regular" tripod topped with an rrs ball-head equipped with a panning clamp adds just enough pano versatility for me (knock on wood).

-bob
    Last edited by Bob; 16th December 2007 at 10:34.