The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8: Lightroom or C1?

peterm1

I have a used M8 on the way and am wondering whether to use C1 to get the maximum quality from M8 files versus Lightroom. I currently use Lightroom for my Nikon D700 and feel comfortable using it, and if there's little difference I would like to continue using it, especially since I have a lot of great Lightroom plugins I like to use like Nik Silver EFX. However, if using C1 makes a dramatic difference, I can convert from DNG to TIFFs there and then import into Lightroom.

I used to use Capture NX because it was better at RAW conversion than Lightroom, but since Lightroom updated its profiles I found little difference and switched back to Lightroom. I wondering if anything similar happened with M8 profiles, or if there are any really good M8 calibration profiles for LR that are available.

Thanks for any comments.

Peter

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
There are some great threads and lots of good info on this very topic spread around the forum so I'll simply raise my hand and answer with a resounding "yes!" to C1.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
On the M8, I generally found that I could get better detail and color in C1 than in LR. The difference was small at low ISO, but much bigger at high ISO.

I love the workflow of LR, and keep my entire library there. So what I ended up doing was processing everything in LR, and then taking my very best shots and processing them in C1, and loading those results into LR for the library features.

If you use both (as I did), you'll need to allow some time/energy to learn them well enough to get good results, and fine tune the specific settings for your M8 files.

jonoslack

HI Peter
I'm with Mike on this one. Use the software you're familiar with and if you need more, then use C1 occasionally.

I actually use Aperture for the M8 (which I feel does a better job than Lightroom).

Still, I reckon that personal skill adds more to the output than the differences between different software. Stick with what you like!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
After years with C1 and poo-pooing LR, I finally gave LR a real shot and worked with it for a few weeks. I took M8 shots that I had already processed through C1 that I was happy with, then started from scratch in LR to see if I could match the results. After a short amount of time, I wasn't only able to match my results in C1, but exceed them. Tools like the Adjustment Brush and some of the advanced tone and color controls allow for tasks that I'd previously have to go into PS for. Now, I can work totally non-destructively on my DNG files and tweak my adjustments, masks, etc. at any time (unlimited history states). The cataloging is really phenomenal and I can find files easier than ever, sort them faster than before, and just get work done.

Going back to C1 now (I do have 4.8.3 on my computer also) feels a bit like trudging through mud in terms of speed and efficiency, especially with the larger S2 files I've been working with.

Bottom line is to use what you're comfortable and happy with, but try to give other options a shot. If you never try, you'll never know how they work for you. So, in the case of being familiar with LR and wanting to give C1 a try, by all means go for it. That's what 30 day trials are all about.

David