The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and B&W?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc:

With the M9 file in C1, try pumping clarity up to around 60 or 80 first, and see what you think...

Riccis

Quick post-processing tips that I use all the time (and also used on the first M9 B&W image)

-My straight B&W conversion is from a custom action that my good friend Jeff Ascough made for me to use specifically with the M8 (still works like a charm with the M9)...
-Create two layers set to Overlay mode at very low opacity (usually no more than 18%) and adjust highlight and shadow density...
-Most of my shadow work is also adjusted from an individual burn layer... When I need a punch, I set the layer mode to Soft Light.

I hope this makes sense...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yellow Filter in C1 than I clipped the blacks ever so slightly and made sure my whites stayed under the radar by not clipping. Mid tones seemed pretty good so left them alone. Yellow lightens the mid tones. Big secret working with Phase or the M9 is adding some clarity which adds detail in the mid tones. I did not do it here since it was skin and was sharp enough but landscape or anything like that P30 gets 20 plus and the M9 looks like 35 or 40 so far. Need to play with that a little more. Was actually going to do that today.
I still want to try another with lowering the red channel

fotografz

Yellow Filter in C1 than I clipped the blacks ever so slightly and made sure my whites stayed under the radar by not clipping. Mid tones seemed pretty good so left them alone. Yellow lightens the mid tones. Big secret working with Phase or the M9 is adding some clarity which adds detail in the mid tones. I did not do it here since it was skin and was sharp enough but landscape or anything like that P30 gets 20 plus and the M9 looks like 35 or 40 so far. Need to play with that a little more. Was actually going to do that today.
I still want to try another with lowering the red channel
These thoughts are much appreciated. :thumbup:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I find this quite interesting. When you Gurus have worked this out, might the be a PS action up for sale?
Btw, the thing that bothers me most in all conversions in this thread are the transitions from light to shadow on the skin. They look quite "digital"(for lack of a better word) to me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I find this quite interesting. When you Gurus have worked this out, might the be a PS action up for sale?
Btw, the thing that bothers me most in all conversions in this thread are the transitions from light to shadow on the skin. They look quite "digital"(for lack of a better word) to me.
We could probably arrange that LOLOLOLOL!

Re skin smoothness, it is one big issue when you use a red or yellow "filter" to convert -- most blemishes are accentuated from it... Much better to use a Green filter to keep skin smooth-toned, and yellow-green can be an excellent compromise for the overall image tonality. (Hint, hint, hint!!!)

However, I find the best conversions come from adding clarity while keeping the black point and white point controlled first, then try reducing saturation to zero, then bumping global contrast and adjusting brightness to balance...

And yes, you CAN do clarity in PS as part of an action, so all of the above can be done in PS and I could generate a $15 PS action if there was sufficient interest.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

If you like it let me know which one if any
The first one, naturally. Very nicely done.:)

You guys (Guy & Jack) are doing doing what you do best.

Jack, I am sure there will be interest among the M9 users. Lots of potential.

Quick post-processing tips that I use all the time (and also used on the first M9 B&W image)

-My straight B&W conversion is from a custom action that my good friend Jeff Ascough made for me to use specifically with the M8 (still works like a charm with the M9)...
-Create two layers set to Overlay mode at very low opacity (usually no more than 18%) and adjust highlight and shadow density...
-Most of my shadow work is also adjusted from an individual burn layer... When I need a punch, I set the layer mode to Soft Light.

I hope this makes sense...
Hi- Is the B&W action of Jeff Ascough a commercial product? If not, might you share them with interested (and grateful) forum members? thanks...Peter

Riccis

Since I am getting a lot of PMs about Jeff's actions, please be aware that all you need is on the Silver Actions set...

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a conversion I just did off Guy's raw file -- this is a difficult conversion because of the contrast in that image and why I chose it. (Plus, Guy didn't upload the DNG of the other one with 2 girls in it LOLOLOL!) Anyway, this was done 100% in C1 other than the downrezzing and jpegging, which I did in CS (via my automated web action kit which IS available for sale on this site!). Probably best to start by telling me specifically what you don't like -- and we are talking about the conversion itslef keeping in mind the contrast range of the original file.

And here is a similar conversion in color for reference:

fotografz

Here is a conversion I just did off Guy's raw file -- this is a difficult conversion because of the contrast in that image and why I chose it. (Plus, Guy didn't upload the DNG of the other one with 2 girls in it LOLOLOL!) Anyway, this was done 100% in C1 other than the downrezzing and jpegging, which I did in CS (via my automated web action kit which IS available for sale on this site!). Probably best to start by telling me specifically what you don't like -- and we are talking about the conversion itslef keeping in mind the contrast range of the original file.

Not bad. Still lacks a bit of that Leica umph! But we seem to be getting closer. Thanks JacK :thumbup:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
While Actions are being discussed, I want to mention a set of actions I bought ($10?) from Tony Kuyper. The actions create masks either as a layer adjustment curve or on the channels palette (your choice) that mask very specific areas of the image.

For instance you can use an action labelled "narrow midtones" to select those areas of an image and then use a curve to effect those tones ONLY. The ranges of tones with separate actions cover pretty much all of the major tonal areas and can be a huge benefit and time saver.

You can find a discussion of how to use them and make a purchase here: http://www.goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html

woodyspedden

For those of you interested in Jeff's actions, I highly recommend you purchase his latest Silver Action Set (http://jeffascough.typepad.com/ascough_silver_actions/) as they are fantastic and the closest to the real deal (film :D) without having to get into PS filters.

Cheers,
I would love to but his site makes clear that he sells only to professionals. Guess us amateurs who care dearly about what we produce just aren't deserving

Woody