The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please someone help me out with M9

Henry Goh

I read that I need not convert my old Leica lenses to 6-bit coding since I can dial in the lens on the body. My question is whether it will remember each time I re-mount the lens and also how does the body know the aperture data?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Henry,

The body will not remember when you remount that lens (after using a different lens in between). You'll have to re-select the lens in the camera menu each time.

One thing that might help is that it will default to the most recent used choice in the list. So if you only have one un-coded lens, at least each time you mount that lens and switch to "manual" lens selection mode, you'll jump right to the lens choice in the list. But if you have multiple un-coded lenses, and switch between them, this won't save you any time.

The body does not know what aperture you set on the lens. It only knows the maximum aperture for that lens (50 summilux has a different code from 50 summicron).

There is some logic in the camera to approximate the aperture used on a particular image, and that data (approximate aperture setting) is stored in EXIF data. C1 will read and display that data, but at this time, LR2 does not read that data in EXIF.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Paratom

I wonder what happens if I use auto and mount an uncoded lens?

The other thing was that it would just be great to be able to be able to run the focal-range correction afterwards in software on a PC (Just in case one made a fault) - like being able to change WB etc.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
If you use Auto, and mount an uncoded lens, the M9 acts the same as the M8 did with an uncoded lens. It doesn't know what lens is on, and makes no in-camera corrections.

I agree about running the focal range corrections afterward - it would be nice if Leica provided a utility that would modify the DNG files after the fact with the focal-range corrections.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately that would be impossible, as the corrections are applied before the DNG is written.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I realize that's how Leica does it today. But it might be possible to do the corrections after-the-fact on the DNG, especially with Adobe recent extensions to the DNG standard.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you use CornerFix you can create your own profiles for vignette correction for uncoded lenses. This will allow you to post process your raw DNG files and apply the corrections in place.

D&A

Hi All,

Unless I'm missing something, here is my question. For those that eventually will use both an M8 & M9 (I should be so lucky), and decide for both speed and convienience to leave UVIR filters on all lenses (since the M9 could benifit in some instances from additonal IR filtration).....couldn't Leica have had a M9 menu option where the user specifices they are using a coded lens with UVIR? This way, cyan corners would be prevented especially with wide angle lenses and users of both cameras could leave on their UVIR filters. An alternative to using corner fix in these sorts of circumstances. Just a thought.

Dave (D&A)

ampguy

Hi Mike,

There's a short discussion in the video with the reviewers and Stephan about this. The goal is for the M9 to get it all done in-camera, not using lens corrections or addl. DNG metadata.

I think the above method is "purer" and will keep the digital M system at a higher IQ level than the 4/3rds systems that make extensive use of lens corrections and post capture software tweaks.

The M8 and M9 really don't have true logic to decode the manual aperture selected. The best it can guess is if the user is taking an "average" exposure, then the camera knows the selected ISO, WB, and the shutter for 18% gray. While one reviewer (David Farkas?) said the estimates were within 2/3 +/- EV, Stephan, Sean and others mentioned it was much further off.

Note that David's blog has standard family type photos, while the complete range of photography that M9 users may decide to use will be backlit, night, IR, etc. range, where exposures may deviate wide ranges from ~18% grey.

Just my thoughts, I could be way off here.

I realize that's how Leica does it today. But it might be possible to do the corrections after-the-fact on the DNG, especially with Adobe recent extensions to the DNG standard.

ampguy

Hi Dave,

I would just go filterless (IR) on the M8. Unless you have some specific event where you need to apply the filters for the magenta issue.

Hi All,

Unless I'm missing something, here is my question. For those that eventually will use both an M8 & M9 (I should be so lucky), and decide for both speed and convienience to leave UVIR filters on all lenses (since the M9 could benifit in some instances from additonal IR filtration).....couldn't Leica have had a M9 menu option where the user specifices they are using a coded lens with UVIR? This way, cyan corners would be prevented especially with wide angle lenses and users of both cameras could leave on their UVIR filters. An alternative to using corner fix in these sorts of circumstances. Just a thought.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi ampguy,

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately, it's not just "blacks synthetic fabrics thats an issue when using lenses without UVIr filters UVIR filters, but color shifts in green follage and elsewhere, that makes it near impossible for me to use M8 without UVIR filters. So thats not an option (for me). Even getting cyan corners if I used lenses with UVIR filters on an M9 is preferable. Thanks again.

Dave (D&A)

ampguy

Hi Dave,

I shoot a lot of foliage throughout the west coast during all seasons and conditions and haven't seen color shifts, except with mis-processed raw files, and this is without filters. I am aware that foliage reflects colors differently depending on the chlorophyll content, etc., so I don't doubt that you are seeing shifts. I would also expect shifts at some level to even exist between different systems (Canon, Nikon, etc.).

However, with the differences in handling of IR between the M8 and M9, independent of the filters in front of the lens, I'm not sure how you will be able to easily maintain color consistencies between the two systems, if you are currently having color shift issues without UV/IR filters on the M8.

Here is a link to an example of un color-retouched JPGs. There are no color shifts between what the photos show, and the actual colors seen in the foliage, and no UV/IR filters were used. M8 lens detection was set to off - here

Hi ampguy,

Appreciate the response. Unfortunately, it's not just "blacks synthetic fabrics thats an issue when using lenses without UVIr filters UVIR filters, but color shifts in green follage and elsewhere, that makes it near impossible for me to use M8 without UVIR filters. So thats not an option (for me). Even getting cyan corners if I used lenses with UVIR filters on an M9 is preferable. Thanks again.

Dave (D&A)

E

Eddyj

Depends on what lenses you want coded anything above 35mm you need not code..if i am correct
PHP: