The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Convert an M8 to a B&W only camera?

N

nei1

Im probably showing my ignorance here but could an M8 be converted to b&w only use by removing the filters on the sensor.If its a possibility does anyone know who could do it and what it might cost?

V

Vivek

Oddly, I just opened up a defunct Nikon D70 to try just that (to do a practice run).

The Sony sensor in D70 has a fixed protective glass plate that can not be removed easily, unfortunately.

Under that is the sensor with its microlenses and under that is the Bayer RGB filter.

The microlenses (plastic, also on Kodak sensor, I do not think they use glass or quartz) needs heavy duty industrial solvents for it to be dissolved. After that, the Bayer dyes could be more easily removed with milder solvents. Everything needs to be cleaned to perfection with "clean" solvents.

This is an extraordinarily difficult task, to say the least.

It is better if the manufacturers use a non Bayered sensor to begin with.

So, the short story is...

No, can't do.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO the M8 is already maybe the best off-the-shelf camera out there for mono conversions (see the M9 B&W conversion thread). Problem with removing the Bayer filter is you then need a new algorithm for the processing and who is going to develop that? Interestingly, I understand Phase will convert a P45+ to permanent monochrome and has the conversion in C1, so perhaps that's the ultimate monochrome file...

Francois_A

Problem with removing the Bayer filter is you then need a new algorithm for the processing and who is going to develop that?
One could use DCRAW, a free converter that has the option of bypassing the demosiacing algorithms. This is very useful with a camera that received a "deep" infrared conversion.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One could use DCRAW, a free converter that has the option of bypassing the demosiacing algorithms. This is very useful with a camera that received a "deep" infrared conversion.
If it bypasses the demosaicing, then it should work. Of course then you have to build your conversion curves, but that should be relatively easy...

N

nei1

Would this be exactly the same as removing the rgb filter?........if this is a fairly simple operation in dcraw could someone maybe give it a go ? Might be interesting to see if it gives anything extra to a b&w image.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The DCRAW code is out there for free. Download it and apply it to any RAW image you like. Google DCRAW.

N

nei1

I dont think my digital cameras count,a samsung phone and a fuji f20,but thanks for the suggestion,it was a very good idea!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm happy to supply an M8 file and Guy has posted several from the M9. The RAWs are out there if you have the interest.

N

nei1

I wouldn"t know what to do with one to be honest,let alone removing the demosiacing algorithms.My interest lies in a black and white camera not another processing step;but I can see the interest in such a process.Perhaps you could try it Tim,processing seems to be youre forte.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting with the M8. I have no real interest in a B&W only camera.

tollie

Workshop Member
Hi nei1,

This may be a bit off topic as other posters have pointed to a hardware modification.

I have found that when you put the M8 in BW mode shooting jpegs and boost the iso... say beyond 640 when you process the image you get a fabulous grain and a very satisfactory BW image.

The image below is a lightly touched and toned jpeg.