The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crazy Image Artifact on Leica M8 Classic...

cookedart

Hey Guys,

So I just got a high serial M8, serial number in the 333xxxx range, so I figured this is past any of the initial problems stated with this model.

Unfortunately the only lens I have to test with is a Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 Nokton Classic. It's been performing very well for my needs especially considering the price. I'm sure I'll upgrade to Leica glass eventually for this FL but probably not right away.

Anyways, this is my first M, and first digital rangefinder, so I'm not sure if this is a typical "you're not supposed to do this, dummy" type situation, and if this problem is an issue with the lens or the sensor.

I shot these series of images straight into a lightbulb, wide open, ISO 640, 1/30 sec.

The image very clearly has a green/yellow STREAK emanating from the light source, which has a soft edge up until around halfway through the frame, where it abruptly ends. This only happens when the strong light source is at the very edge of the frame, or the corners of the frame.

I have included a full sized crop of the end of the streak, which clearly looks like a digital artifact. All other images were just resized, no PP applied.

Question is, is this a problem with the sensor? I realise this is an extreme situation and would not normally shoot like this, but I have NEVER seen an artifact like this before from any camera I have ever owned.

One thing I noticed is that if I shade the lens with my hand, the streak goes away. I have attached one image that reflects this change.

cookedart

One other note - The streak did not go away with several permutations:

-Stopping Down at all apertures down to f/5.6
-Trying higher or lower ISO values
-Trying different shutter speeds from 1/15sec to 1/125 sec.

John Black

Yes, this is normal. Don't put a bright light source at the edge of the frame. If you google this, you'll find similar such occurrences, such as...

cookedart

Yes, this is normal. Don't put a bright light source at the edge of the frame. If you google this, you'll find similar such occurrences, such as...
I guess this is because of the extreme angle light hitting the edge of the sensor? Rangefinder related?

I'm guessing a hood wouldn't really help in this situation either because the light source is in frame.