The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the widest lens without external viewfinder needed on M8?

peterm1

I have the M8u and was wondering what the widest lens is that I can use without really needing an external viewfinder. 24mm? I am looking at the Zeiss 25mm and wondering if that would work without an external VF.

Thanks,

Peter

M

Mango

Hi Peter,

I have a Leica 24mm for the M8, and even though I wear eyeglasses I can see the framelines clearly. You shouldn't have any problem with the Zeiss 25mm.

I think you can go to 21mm and use the edges of the viewfinder as a rough guide. If you want verification, I can try it out tonight and let you know.

Regards,
Mango

robsteve

Subscriber
Peter:

The 24mm is the widest, but can be difficult to see if you wear glasses.

As for the Zeiss 25mm, you should do some research. Some of the Zeiss wides were bringing up the wrong frame lines on the M8. I think the 25mm may have been one of them.

Robert

peterm1

Thanks. Popflash is selling modified Zeiss 25 ZMs that bring up the right framelines. I do wear glasses. Sounds like I should be ok with the Zeiss.

Peter

sc_john

Peter,

I have recently purchased a ZM25 from popflash, and I can confirm that it brings up the correct framelines on M8. I also wear glasses, and I have to move my eye around a bit to see entire image area... but it's there and easy to see. I also am VERY pleased with the IQ of ZM25, it's a great lens and a good buy.

John

Nick_Yoon

You should ask Popflash to check the lens on an M8 before shipping, I got one which hadn't been modified and had to send it back.

ampguy

I use a 21 without finder on the M8 classic, but generally have to check the framing with the lcd on the first image.

The 15mm required an external VF all the time.