The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Current price for 6-bit coding?

JimCollum

What's the current price for 6-bit coding in NJ? Did they just have a price hike?

i just got my 75lux back last week, and it was $125

(although they did *not* check focus on the lens, since it came back with the same backfocus it went there with..

*sigh*.. it'll be off to DAG with it then

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

(although they did *not* check focus on the lens, since it came back with the same backfocus it went there with..

Jim Did it have to go to Solms? How long did the repair process take.

EricC

I was advised by Leica UK that the price as of two weeks ago had just gone up to £125, or approx $250.

Regards
Eric

jlm

Workshop Member
if you are going to send it to DAG anyway, he sends me many flanges to machine for coding

W

wilsonlaidlaw

I am going to leave my chrome 35 ASPH Lux at Solms during my factory visit next month. If they send it back with exactly the same amount of back-focus (none) that it goes with and without taking it apart to find why this one does not aperture shift, I will be a happy bunny. I will pay with my French card, so I hope it will be the French price of €140 not the UK price of £125. It is still a pretty hefty price for the 10 minute job of swapping the bayonet mounting. Of course they then have to do the additional work of milling the slots on a CNC machine plus painting in the code. I am assuming they re-cycle the existing mounting if it is in good condition, rather than just throw it away.

Wilson

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
i checked.. the lens was sent to NJ. They have the ability to code there as well

jim
Yes but just around Christmas they started routinely sending Summiluxes and Noctiluxes to Solms for 6 bit. I could be wrong but I thought for most lenses they just took off your old mount and put on a preowned coded mount. Your mount would then be recycled thru the machining process. The Summiluxes and the Noctilux mounts are frequently fine tuned to a specific lens..thus they have to be taken off and machined ..then your mount is used on your camera. The machining is low volume and difficult to obtain in NJ...so those lens usually go to Solms. Maybe I am all wet on this but its what I understood. So originally they did them all in NJ but at least for a while they were sending the luxes to Solms. Just curious as the only thing thats matters is that it worked. :D

Vin Yette

Old thread, but I thought I'd add that I recently inquired with Leica NJ about current 6 bit coding and was quoted a price of $175US.

Photojazz

Gosh, that sounds expensive Doublep and probably is.

Once I go past one 35mm ASPH lens, I will want to do some coding myself. Right now, I know they either came from my 35mm Cron ASPH or my 35mm Cron ASPH. ;) One thing about it, I bet my sensor is cleaner than most. :)

Doug